bearings and trees

B

Bihari, James

<table>My front right wheel bearings started making some noise when I got my car out for the year. I got new bearings from Gordon's Two questions:
When I pulled off that metal cap that goes over the outer bearings hub, a lot of water poured out.The metal cap (from Gordon's)never looked like it was water proof and seemed like it should have been rubber. I noticed that there is a slot that looks like an O-ring would fit in it around the outside of the hub where that metal cap fits. I went to the hardware store and got an O-ring to fit there. I'm assuming you do want that cap to be water proof, don't you, or what is the point of it. Think that the O-ring is a good idea?

Second: For both my inner and outer bearings on that side, the sleeve (is it called a race or something?) that the bearings ride upon are pitted and the bearings from Gordon's do have that part included. For the outer bearing, there seems to be virually no lip on that sleeve to pound it out of the brake drum/wheel. I tried heating it with a torch and pounding as best I could with a punch with no luck. Planning on taking it to me Dad's to weld something to that bad sleeve so I can pound it out. Any ideas. I recall that once when we had a stud rusted into the manifold on another car, we welded something onto the stud and just the heat of the welding made the stud turn out very easily when it wouldn't budge at all beforehand. Of course, heat not only expands the inner piece and the outer piece it expands the space in between the two pieces via the geometry of the inner and outer pieces expanding.

Okay, here is mystory about getting my Amphicar stuck on a log in the Sciota River in downtown Columbus, Ohio on Sunday (a beautiful place to Amphicar, but it is full of trees and rocks to run over when the river is low). The moral of the story is that when you are driving a car under the Broad Street Bridge, avoid going under the center span because there's a big 20 inch diameter tree laying over like a ramp about6 to 24 inches below the surface and if you drive up on it, everyone has to bail out and spend the next 20 minutes pushing and pushing to get the car unstuck. It was more adventure than we were looking for I think. There were 3 of us in the car--a classmate Amy and her boyfriend Colin and I. Colin had just turned the controls over toAmy when she drove up over the log parallel to the path of the Amphicar, but none of us would have seenthe logor done anything differently. They were both real troopers and after I jumped out (about 4 foot deep water--we were all wearing life vests--I won't let anyone ride in the car without wearing life vests) and felt out the whole part of the tree we were lodged on (there was a good 15 feet of that log gently sloping up like a ramp) the others agreed to jump out and we all pushed for a while. Reverse propellors got us to move back about 6 inches but ultimately it was all of us pushing with no oneaboard that got it unstuck. Except for a tiny dent at the bottom outer edge of the driver's side rear axel tunnel, the Amphicar is none the worse for the wear--not even any paint scraped off. Mostly, it was important that everyone was safe, just a little bit wetter with that clean, pure river water. It did give me additional confidence that that car is unlikely to tip over in the water even when one side drives up a ramp-like log. The buoyancy of the car kept the passenger sidefloating just fine as the driver's side was supported by the log. After we got back,I tooka second group ofpassengers(after telling themabout getting stuck in the river and they bravely (follishly?) decided they still wanted to go for a ride) so we all went and had a great time and avoided that evil, evil, giant log. I'mreally tempted to go down there and tie some milk jugs on there as buoys to that tree to warn other boaters, but I guess other boaters don't have tires that stick out that can get wedged. Amy was taking pictures before we got stuck, but wetotally didn't think of taking a picture of the stuck car, until after we got it unstuck. Oh well. Who rescues a car stuck on a log under a wide bridge? There was a big Arts Fest along the river at the time so a lot of gawkers were having fun watching us try to push the car off the log. Who else has stories like this and what did you do?

I won't be at Celina this year but the guy who painted my car, Les Key and his wife and two little boys,will take my car to Celina so say hi to Lesand hisfamily in the red IMABOAT (OHIO) car. How does that work, if I am a club member but they are not, can they get badges and attend the dinner and all that good stuff?

Jim Bihari

A

amphi_sc

--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, "Bihari, James" <jbihari@...>
wrote:
>
> My front right wheel bearings started making some noise when I got my
> car out for the year. .... For both my inner and outer bearings on that
> side, the sleeve (is it called a race or something?) that the bearings
> ride upon are pitted and the bearings from Gordon's do have that part
> included. For the outer bearing, there seems to be virually no lip on
> that sleeve to pound it out of the brake drum/wheel.

Simple. Take your wire feed welder and run a quick bead around in the
center of that race and when you turn it over, half of the time it
will fall out on its own. If not, then the bead provides a spot for a
gentle tap.

I find the hard part is getting the inner bearing itself off the
spindle. I'm still looking for some tips on that. Lately I've been
breaking off the cage and rollers, then notching the remainder and
using a cold chisel and a few appropriate words.... How does
everybody else deal with that?

Al Heath
A*BOAT2 and others...

W

wick68355@aol.com

Re: Re: bearings and trees

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
I removed the front inner bearing by breaking it apart. The cage and rollers fell out leaving just the race on the spindle .I cut the race off the spindle with my acetylene torch. Cutting only the race and not touching the spindle can be tricky. I do not recommend it for someone who is torch challenged.
Tim Wick
Wisconsin</font>

<font style="color: black; font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><hr style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px">See what's free at AOL.com. </font>

C

capon23@aol.com

<table id="role_body" style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" bottomMargin="7" leftMargin="7" topMargin="7" rightMargin="7"><font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
I used a small air tool die grinder with a small grinding wheel cut half way though it and hit it with a hammer and chisel and presto easy as could be both sides took 30 minutes at most with no heatdamage...

Cigarman</font>

<font style="color: black; font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><hr style="MARGIN-TOP: 10px">See what's free at AOL.com. </font>

R

rdboggie@comcast.net

<table>
I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel. Carefully went most of the way, then gently broke it open with a chisel.

Randy
'67 in Maryland
<blockquote style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">-------------- Original message --------------

<div id="ygrp-text">

<font id="role_document" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
I used a small air tool die grinder with a small grinding wheel cut half way though it and hit it with a hammer and chisel and presto easy as could be both sides took 30 minutes at most with no heatdamage...

Cigarman</font>

<font style="FONT: 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF; COLOR: black">
<hr>
See what's free at AOL.com. </font>

</blockquote>