Barrett Jackson lot# 714 TODAY! (Amphi)

Looks like Roger Sallee is going to go on the block tonight (prime time) with a really nice 1964 white / red amphi. Should be exciting, a new record????

The blue one went yesterday for $50,000.

dougklink

Seems like the Ebay prices are softening substantially and have been for a while now. I watched the rerun of the $85,000 Amphi at last years BJ, they really overpaid for that car. It's amazing how the handlers can get someone to spend $20,000 more than one could be bought for on the street! But that's the magic of BJ. Are the initials a coincidence?

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Also tomorrow the 18th. At 1pm Life on the Block "Sand and Sea" . Interviews with the three Amphis from Florida. Rogers car should be going over around 7pm central time.

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
There were two Amphi's at BJ last year (are you talking about BJ Florida?). The 1st one was not great. The second one was exceptionally well restored and price was very fair given the condition and the venue. Not sure why you think buyer over paid. Now the $100k+ amphi two years ago was wayyyyy over market value.

It seems that prices are down across the board this year, not just Amphicars. This is proably a reflection of the economy more than anything else. It is not as easy to tap into those easy home equity loans as it was 2 years ago.

dougklink

Mike,

I've been looking at cars for a while, watching prices, and not wanting to overpay. There have been a number of very nice restored cars sell on Ebay for $60-$65K since last summer. Maybe I'm out of line but I don't believe prices softened that much during the spring, that should be the hot time to buy one and the economy hadn't really tanked yet. As I watched the auction, it was clear that even the buyer was having trouble going much over $70K. The handlers kept the pressure up, the being on TV thing, all that. They spent allot of time deciding to place the final bid. And let's not forget they then paid a 10% buyers premium, for a total cost of $93,500.

I think everyone knows you can buy a car for much less through other channels whether it's a muscle car or a classic. I've purchased several classics for less than half of what equivalent cars went for at an auction like BJ or Kruse. And I could tell you stories from guys about the rigs in the auctions, guaranteed sales on headline cars, etc.

I'm just saying that using a BJ sale as any kind of relavent price comparison to reality is only occasionally valid.

Woodsie

RE: Barrett Jackson lot - Yesterday (Amphi)

Only watched 20 or so cars but i did see the Amphicar do $60 k. That seller should be so glad it didnt tank like most all of the cars i watched. The little Jolley car was hiped all week as a 100k type piece-rare
it sold super cheap 29k ?. What a great time to fill the barn back up.

After this week i just dont see how this so called largest auction in the world will continue to keep sellers with Big or small balls taking uneeded chances on there Money

----- Original Message ----
To: Woodsie
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:17:54 PM
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-4625] RE: Barrett Jackson lot# 714 TODAY! (Amphi)

Seems like the Ebay prices are softening substantially and have been for a while now. I watched the rerun of the $85,000 Amphi at last years BJ, they really overpaid for that car. It's amazing how the handlers can get someone to spend $20,000 more than one could be bought for on the street! But that's the magic of BJ. Are the initials a coincidence?

____________________________________________________________________________________
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Rogers car sold for 60k. Would he have liked to see 85-125k of course. Reality is 60k is a lot of money. 60k still allows people to invest in their cars. It still allows for more parts to be reproduced. 60k is a beautiful number.

EricM

I should also point out its way more than Roger got
from me for my car. Maybe thats why he keeps offering
to buy it back....

I do love watching the auction.

Eric
--- Midwest Amphicar <>
wrote:

---------------------------------
Rogers car sold for 60k. Would he have liked to see
85-125k of course. Reality is 60k is a lot of money.
60k still allows people to invest in their cars. It
still allows for more parts to be reproduced. 60k is a
beautiful number.

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Interesting comment in USA TODAY about the BJ auction, sounds about right to me.

David C

With every car at Barrett-Jackson sold on the block at no reserve, which means there is no minimum price to buy, the reverberation of each sale can lift or deflate prices for that type of collector car across the country. Although, sometimes, it's just a case of two guys battling it out over something they both desire.
Such was the case with last year's surprising high result for a 1967 Amphicar, a little oddball craft that can drive on a road or sail in a lake. Two bidders pushed the final sale up to $93,500, more than three times the going rate.

Amphicar owners everywhere rejoiced, and the cars now often appear at major auctions where excellent examples sell in the $50,000-to-$60,000 range, about double the price before the Barrett-Jackson sale.

tpls63

I just got home from Barrett-Jackson. I'm the guy who upset the Amphi cart 2 years ago when my '64 amphicar sold for $115,000.00 (hammer price). This year I sold the Thunderbird Italien Concept car for $600,000.00. While talking to a couple big hitters there interested in my car I was surprised to hear that they get together and if 2 or more of them are interested in a car they flip coins to see who gets to get it and then they set the price.
Don Williams was supposed to buy my car for $450 but fortunately another unknown bidder chimed in and worked it up a little more and so did an internet bidder. Don had to cough up the $600 to buy it.
At a "reserve" auction that wouldn't be possible and as such I won't be selling anything at BJ again. The other auctions are really gaining popularity in Scottsdale (Gooding, R&M, Russo & Steel) and you can have reserves at all 3 of them.
Don't get me wrong, I am completely satisfied with the sale price. I bought and restored the Italien with the idea of getting $300-$500G's for it when done so it did better than I expected even with the games. If the other big hitters would have been able to bid, who knows where it would have gone.
Anyway, it was nice to see you Roger and Robert Vondracek and Congrats to Roger on his sale as well as the owner of the blue one.
And thanks again for driving mine up on the block a couple years ago Roger!

S

SplitPersonality

RE: Barrett Jackson lot# 714 TODAY! ...

I watched that unique Thunderbird Concept car go on the block and it was
indeed a beautiful car. Congratulations. You really do a job on them.. There
were a couple of vehicles at that auction that really climbed higher than I
would have expected. That crazy car gobbling monster looked like it was going to
hold at 450 and then with a little further massaging, it climbed all the way
up to to 575 as I recall.

You tidbit about the two guys that decide who will get a certain car and
then how a couple of unknown or unexpected deep pockets altered their plans was
very interesting.

Vic
Nelson near Daytona

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489