2017 Barrett-Jackson auction includes single Amphi

The 2017 Barrett-Jackson auction is about to start this weekend. I see a single 1966 Amphi listed as lot# 937 to go on the block on Friday the 20th.

Blue car from Idaho from original owner. Here is description:

Details
VIN 106522277
Exterior Color BLUE
Interior Color WHITE
Cylinders 4
Engine Size
Transmission 4-SPEED MANUAL
Description

Lot #937 - This one-owner car has been well taken care of over the years having spent its whole life in a dry Idaho climate. It has been stored inside and everything works like it should. 4-speed manual transmission. 5,600 original miles (the title reads mileage exempt).

jfriese

Fifteen years ago there was a rather pretty, deep blue Amphicar for sale in (I think) Utah. It had a white interior but someone had removed its top framework. It looked nice from the outside but engine compartment photos didn't show much if any restoration had been done in there. I wonder if it's the same car.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Given the description said it was a one owner car, probably not the one you saw for sale.

Interesting that there could still be original owner families out there who are not known by the amphicar community. I will bet they know where to get parts, though.

jfriese

Here's a photo of that 67 blue Utah car in 2001. It sure looked nice from the outside but it was missing the top and frame and the engine area certainly didn't look at all fresh.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

67blueamphi.jpg

Here's a photo of that 67 blue Utah car in 2001. It sure looked nice from the outside but it was missing the top and frame and the engine area certainly didn't look at all fresh.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

67blueamphi.jpg
That is a nice car, but the auction car is correct shade of blue.

The 1967 Amphicar just passed over the block at BJ and hammered for $57,200.

Why is this important? It is an indication of vehicle value for all Amphicars as price indexes are primarily established by auction results. Individual results may vary!

Steve

A friend of mine is there and snapped this photo. I think the winner is the guy in the blue jacket and brown shirt.Barrett Jackson Amphicar 2017.jpg

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
The 1967 Amphicar just passed over the block at BJ and hammered for $57,200.

Why is this important? It is an indication of vehicle value for all Amphicars as price indexes are primarily established by auction results. Individual results may vary!

I remember a few years back when the first one sold for over $100k. Suddenly there were 20 Amphicars listed for 6 figures although I do not think any of them sold for that. Of course this was about the same time as when the Mopar bubble hit its peak before prices crashed back down to earth.

For better or worse, auctions like BJ tend to set the bar for the high end and sales via most other venues tend to be less.