62 amphi brake problems

the jeep doctor

My boss had somebody install a dual circuit brake master cylinder. Now vehc. is very hard to stop. The pedal is like a rock. You really have to stand on it to get it to stop. Any answers? The bore of new mast. cylinder looks to be close to orig. My next prob. is the wheel cyinders are leaking. Where do I get some of these? Brake shoes are soaked in brake fluid. Can I wash them with brake cleaner? Ive read that these linings are special to allow water to drain out of them. FYI Ive been an auto tech. for almost 30 yrs. But Im learning new stuff working on this thing LOL. So if anybody has any answers or suggestions, it would be great. Thanks to all.......Brad

LSolheim

Normally that conversion is made using a VW Transporter master cylinder, Brad. Very likely the mod was made using the cheaper Transporter master cylinder which normally uses a vacuum booster. The correct one is more $, but does not use the booster.
You can try cleaning those linings. There is no "special drainage". Any of the usual parts sources (Gordon Imports {gordonimports.com}, Gord Souter {amphicar.ca}, or eBay) should have listings for cylinders or rebuild kits. There are also sources that will sleeve the original cylinders for you, if you want to go that way. Take a look at the many Restoration Services listed at the IAOC website {amphicar.com} for hints, suppliers, and experts that may be close to where you are. Good luck --Larry

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
100_2616.JPG
I have all the brake parts here in Fl.
Vw masters have a smaller hole in them to take the Rod,Amphi rods are longer and thicker, see pic of Original Amphi s Rod..
I have rebuild kits and replacement wheel cyl.
Even more if I get my stolden ones back.(had 3 org, master cly, in the bounty)
My brake shoes work very good , even after swimming.
Gord.

the jeep doctor

How much for rod and master cyl? Is one in this pic an orig. Amphi one? I will also need some type of fluid resevoir. What type does this mast. cyl. use?(Im assuming that is one in bag) Will also need switches. I see two switches. Why is there two? Im sorry abt. all the questions, as I just want to make sure Im getting the right parts. Thanks Brad

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
ATTACH=full]760[/ATTACH] In the pic you see 2 as that how many I have in Fl.. (NOS) they use 1,...$28.00
Res.. Masters have a line going up to side of fender. Have them at home.,, good used ones $15.00
special hose for jioning in pic. need 2inches $5.00
(parts in Ont. are aval. as well, have a man there that can ship for me)
a proper master New that will work with Amphi rod $100.00
NOS original stock(sevriced and ready) $250.00
I took pic of all the replacement parts I have in Fl, to give to police so they Know what to look for.
The Rod Ass. $15.00 in pic.

Attachments

• 100_2587.JPG
    100_2587.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 22