Amphicar Must Have Upgrades List

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Tommy's list of things to do in order to get an Amphi bacck on the road got me to thinking about the list of essential upgrades.* Here are my favorites, feel free to add your own.
1)* Optima spiral cell battery.* Never worry about battery acid leaking - ever.* Sits all year w/out going flat.
2)* Jabsco bilge pump.* The original Wilcox is for decorative purposes only.* Stop blowing fuses and actually pump water.
3)* Pertronix ignition.* Drop in replacement for pesky points.
4)* Gear reduction starter from britishstarters.com.* Drop in replacement for original junk.* More powerful, less energy draw, and infinitely more reliable.
5)* Brake pads from Gord Souter.* Stopping is a good thing.
6)* Resleeve your brake cylinders in stainless (Brake & Equipment, 445 NE Harrison St., Minneapolis, MN 55413 ph. 612-378-3141)
7) John Friese clutch kit
8) Rubber Grease/axle caps from cigarman!
I am sure there are others.* The above are what come to mind at the moment.

Tommy in Tampa

Amphicar Expert
Hi there Mike, I just unloaded the Blue '67 it has 462 miles it is a little dirty but there is a jewel under that crud.
Anyhow one of the first things I am going to upgrade is the steering box with one of those fine Steering box braces that are available.
Gotta go play

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
#8.
You all forget that I have been custom makeing Bearing Buddies for Amphicars since 2002 Todays technoligy for yesterdays cars
Rubber boots are fine but thats 60,s I just bought a lathe and now turn these down to fit Amphicars myself.Supper press fit no leaking or falling off. just give it a shot of greese with grees gun and your off. no taking wheels off to check greese in front hub.they come with a small intsruction tag.
all wheels should be totally taken apart and checked at least once a year.

#9. Drill inspection holes in frame to make sure there is no water , or rust crud setting in the Amphicar Frame.

#10. remope floor jack plates and install my new replacement plates to get that hidden rust out from behind them.

GORD SOUTER
Canadian 4 Amphs