The Amphicar Forums - 2023 and Beyond

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Greetings all,

Hope you are have a happy and safe holiday. Just a quick update on the future of the Amphicar forums. The primary message is that the forums will continue for the foreseeable future.

As you likely know, my intent was to shut it down at the end of the year following a 20+ year run. Usage has dwindled to a fraction of what it once was as platforms like Facebook continue to kill off forums such as this. I consider it unfortunate as Facebook does not maintain a strong historical archive and is also a data privacy nightware who sells your personal information. My opinion is clearly in the minority on that point as most of our former contributors now use FB almost exclusively for their Amphicar related messaging. It did not make much sense to keep spending money on keeping up a forum that few people continue to utilize.

Anyhow, a few months ago I was contacted by the IAOC Board members who offered to take on the costs of maintaining the forums. This made a lot of sense to me as it ensures continuity and shifts away from the model where a very small percentage of Amphicar owners are bearing the costs. Back when I started this I always envisioned that it should be a service of the IAOC. Jeff Sweet (Club President at the time) was not interested so it kind of took on a life of its own.

I do want to thank all of those who did provide financial and emotional support to this service over the years. Several of you have been annual contributors making generous contributions. In reality, I likely would have kept it going out of appreciation for you. You will notice that I have removed the "contributions" link since, starting with 2023, teh club will take on funding of the site.

I have offered to continue serving as site admin since I know the platform and have the historical knowledge. The club will also designate some additional person(s) to assist with these duties and keep things running long after I am no longer able to. A big thanks to Pat and all the other IAOC Board members for stepping up and ensuring the 20+ years of Amphicar wisdom stored here will be available to future generations.

lelms

Gold Subscriber
Thank you Mike for your years of expanding the Amphicar universe. I have learned much from the forum, with little to add. I'm not a fan of Facebook, rarely venturing on it. I'm glad the forum lives on. Maybe it can have another life. But, on the other hand, I am approaching an age where I will be divesting myself from my amphi. It has been part of our life since 1988, but is seldom used during our brief Minnesota summers. Soon, just not yet.
Thanks again
Mark Lellman
ifloat

David T

From my prospective as a new owner, this forum has a lot of Tech as compared to the FB site. The FB site has more social content and a lot less Tech. This site has been very helpful as I restore and upgrade my car. I will be posting some of what I have done and learned on this forum soon. Among the topics will be the installation of a Genernator, installation of the later style heater, conversion to negative ground and replacing the points with a Pertonics unit.

KTH20

I just joined this forum and also thank you for your service to the automotive history and Amphicar story. I'm desperately looking to buy a turn key Amphicar to actively participate in club activities. As an empty nester, I now have time to enjoy these events. A bonus is there is plenty of water in Maryland and east coast where my adventures will begin. I will post a "wanted ad" right away. If I can help with any social events, let me know. -Karen

KTH20

Thank you Mike for your years of expanding the Amphicar universe. I have learned much from the forum, with little to add. I'm not a fan of Facebook, rarely venturing on it. I'm glad the forum lives on. Maybe it can have another life. But, on the other hand, I am approaching an age where I will be divesting myself from my amphi. It has been part of our life since 1988, but is seldom used during our brief Minnesota summers. Soon, just not yet.
Thanks again
Mark Lellman
ifloat
If you are looking to sell to a good life home, please let me know. Thanks. :)

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
I formally started transferring the domain, license, etc. to the IAOC today. Its bittersweet. This was my baby, but I am also glad to know it is going to an organization that will keep it running long after myself and the rest of us are gone. As Tommy in Tampa told me years ago, we are just caretakers for the next generation.

As noted, I will still be around and will continue serving as an administrator until such time that the IAOC grows tired of me. :) I am also in process of getting Robert Eovine set up as an admin.

Thanks again for all the support. Its been a good ride.

Raeovine

Administrator
I think I speak for all when expressing gratitude for building and maintaining this forum for all these years. Especially to those who have shared knowledge, experiences, and opinions with the group to help educate the next generation of Amphicar owners. I will try to help as much as I can and glad to know that Mike isn't going anywhere.

Kudos to the IAOC as well for recognizing the value of this site and the information on it. The board was very eager to make it work.

RalphF

Greetings all,

Hope you are have a happy and safe holiday. Just a quick update on the future of the Amphicar forums. The primary message is that the forums will continue for the foreseeable future.

As you likely know, my intent was to shut it down at the end of the year following a 20+ year run. Usage has dwindled to a fraction of what it once was as platforms like Facebook continue to kill off forums such as this. I consider it unfortunate as Facebook does not maintain a strong historical archive and is also a data privacy nightware who sells your personal information. My opinion is clearly in the minority on that point as most of our former contributors now use FB almost exclusively for their Amphicar related messaging. It did not make much sense to keep spending money on keeping up a forum that few people continue to utilize.

Anyhow, a few months ago I was contacted by the IAOC Board members who offered to take on the costs of maintaining the forums. This made a lot of sense to me as it ensures continuity and shifts away from the model where a very small percentage of Amphicar owners are bearing the costs. Back when I started this I always envisioned that it should be a service of the IAOC. Jeff Sweet (Club President at the time) was not interested so it kind of took on a life of its own.

I do want to thank all of those who did provide financial and emotional support to this service over the years. Several of you have been annual contributors making generous contributions. In reality, I likely would have kept it going out of appreciation for you. You will notice that I have removed the "contributions" link since, starting with 2023, teh club will take on funding of the site.

I have offered to continue serving as site admin since I know the platform and have the historical knowledge. The club will also designate some additional person(s) to assist with these duties and keep things running long after I am no longer able to. A big thanks to Pat and all the other IAOC Board members for stepping up and ensuring the 20+ years of Amphicar wisdom stored here will be available to future generations.
Thank you Mike, and to the club for taking it on. I've been around the forum and some of you since 2000, when I first went to Celina without a car. It took me until 2021 to get one but with help from the forum and folks like Dave Derer, Gord Souter, John Bevins and many many others I finally did. It did change my life! I look forward to seeing the forum continue into the future.

Facebook is SOCIAL media and I don't hate the opportunities it offers, but forums like this are where all the good information is stored!

Ralph 1965 Red Near Atlanta

RalphF

I just joined this forum and also thank you for your service to the automotive history and Amphicar story. I'm desperately looking to buy a turn key Amphicar to actively participate in club activities. As an empty nester, I now have time to enjoy these events. A bonus is there is plenty of water in Maryland and east coast where my adventures will begin. I will post a "wanted ad" right away. If I can help with any social events, let me know. -Karen
Karen, did you find a car?