Smart Phone Charger

Propcar50

Will using a smart phone charger in the cigarette charger be harmful to my smart phone? My car is still positive ground.

Randy
Gaithersburg, MD

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Best thing to do is confirm with a voltmeter. The sleeve should be negative, tip positive. If reversed, I would suggest reversing the wires on either the receptacle or the adapter.

The adapter is "probably" protected against reverse polarity but not sure. At best, it simply would not work if receptacle is "backwards" (tip negative). At worst, you will hear a pop and see smoke from your phone!

Propcar50

Best thing to do is confirm with a voltmeter. The sleeve should be negative, tip positive. If reversed, I would suggest reversing the wires on either the receptacle or the adapter.

The adapter is "probably" protected against reverse polarity but not sure. At best, it simply would not work if receptacle is "backwards".

Thanks, I'll check it out.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Don't touch untill car is changed to Neg. ground!
hook a radio up backward for 1 second and its fried.

Cars are easy to change to Neg ground, then all of todays gagets can be used.
The only thing that will not work if you switch is the fuel guage and the Archives show how to swith the internals of the Dash guage around or Just sent unit to John F.

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Agree with Gord that switching to negative ground is best option. If you are already using a pertronix ignition wired for positive ground (in lieu of points) you may also have to rewire that too.

strandweiss62

I have it for 3 years with no problems.
I added 2 screws to hold the 2 parts of the metal case safely together.
And a switch due to the quiescent current of 10 mA.

ground converter.jpg

dougklink

A really easy solution is just to wire in a lighter socket in a plastic box so it is insulated from the chassis, then wire it correctly. You'll get as much power as usual and it's cheap and easy. You could even wire one in at the end of a cord and wrap it in electrical tape. Or cut the cord after the lighter plug and reverse the wires. So many ways.....:)

I did change my car to negative ground though since I was doing a full restoration. And installed an alternator.

strandweiss62

Last edited:

Propcar50

You can also buy a cigarette lighter extension cord and rewire it. That is the cheapest solution.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=cigarette lighter extension&sprefix=cigarette lighter e,aps&rh=i:aps,k:cigarette lighter extension&tag=theampfor-20

I use the ground converter because of my lack of attention. Someday i would plug my electronics in without the changing adapter and it my die.

I'm with you on that last comment.

Propcar50

A really easy solution is just to wire in a lighter socket in a plastic box so it is insulated from the chassis, then wire it correctly. You'll get as much power as usual and it's cheap and easy. You could even wire one in at the end of a cord and wrap it in electrical tape. Or cut the cord after the lighter plug and reverse the wires. So many ways.....:)

I did change my car to negative ground though since I was doing a full restoration. And installed an alternator.

"Then wire it correctly" means running the wires directly to the battery, yes?

dougklink

You could do that and include a circuit breaker, or just use the power wire for the existing lighter and a chassis ground and reverse them.

jfriese

Pertronix ignition modules are built for either positive or negative ground. They cannot be switched around so you will have to buy the correct one if you convert the cars polarity.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Propcar50

Pertronix ignition modules are built for either positive or negative ground. They cannot be switched around so you will have to buy the correct one if you convert the cars polarity.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Roger that. I do use a Pertronix. Best thing I did.

jfriese

Yes, the Pertronix modules are very reliable, don't require dwell adjustment and don't put any side load wear on the distributor bushings. Everyone should use them.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red