Rear Seat Belt Installation

Tom Laferriere

Hi all,

I am about to embark on installing rear seat belts for the kiddies. The kids are 6 months and 3 years old, so child seats will be used. I believe I know how I am going to install them, but I wanted to post here for the "latest" in Amphicar Rear Seat Belt installation. Do you have any photos of your installations? The only photos I have seen are on Dave Chapmans site and the amphicar.com site. Nice storarge compartments, btw.

I have a red and white interior. Who are you buying your belts from? How long? 60"? 72"? Have you bought red? If so, from where?

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

webtoes64

Tom,

I also will be doing the rear seatbelt install in the future so I'm looking for the best method too. I have strapped a car seat in the front till now with my existing front belts.

I bought some gray belts that look almost exactly like the front 'originals' that were installed in my car in the 60's. I picked up the new ones a while back in anticipation of adding rear belts. The texture of the webbing is a little different on the new ones. I can check for the supplier I used at the time.

I'll do some digging.... I took some photos at one of the early Celina gatherings of a rear seatbelt install. I believe it was Paul Lalewicz's green car from MI. Maybe someone else has some photos as well.

Steve B.
WI

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Yes, I really should redo those pictures on amphicars.com of my seatbelt install. It was over 10 years ago, pre digital cameras. However I don't think I'd do it any different now. It's nice that the belts tuck under the rear seat when the car is used as a two seater. The rear belts don't need to be on stalks as they don't go anywhere. Only issue with the way I've done them is if you have three small kids in the back none of them can use belts. When designing the belts remember in a frontal accident the forces aren't just forward but also upwards so allow for that as well.
In the front the belts certainly do work better on stalks, it means you can fasten them with one hand and they don't get stuck between the seats. I have experimented with inertia reel before but they don't work well as Amphicar is low waisted and so the belt tries to pull over your shoulder all the time making them uncomfortable. Three point static in the front is the way to go.

David C
----- Original Message -----
To: david@manbus.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:47 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20113] Rear Seat Belt Installation

Tom,

I also will be doing the rear seatbelt install in the future so I'm looking for the best method too. I have strapped a car seat in the front till now with my existing front belts.

I bought some gray belts that look almost exactly like the front 'originals' that were installed in my car in the 60's. I picked up the new ones a while back in anticipation of adding rear belts. The texture of the webbing is a little different on the new ones. I can check for the supplier I used at the time.

I'll do some digging.... I took some photos at one of the early Celina gatherings of a rear seatbelt install. I believe it was Paul Lalewicz's green car from MI. Maybe someone else has some photos as well.

Steve B.
WI

chasgould

Thanks Keith,
I was going to pipe up but I was going to wait till I could get out to the storage barn to shoot some photos. I did use a set of retractables, and I ran them under the seat, and to some anchor holes that were already in the original Amphicar design, by using some large anchor bolts with several large fender washers to shim the diameter of the hole to a smaller diameter than the predrilled holes. This allowed me to use the existing Amphicar holes which avoided any drilling whatsoever, and the location of these were near perfect. I did slot the fibre panel under the rear seat so that the belt could thread through there, but there may be an alternative to this as well. I did these many years ago, so I will have to get a photo to show you and to refresh my memory on exactly what I did.
Chas

Hi Tom,
Call Charles Gould. He has a nifty set up that did not require any
drilling. May not be suitable for your application but worth a call.
Keith

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
Use my Fibreglass seat base and cut the slots threw it instead of the original cardboard type base,.
after intalled ,seal the belt to the seat base with a removable sealand,(I call it muckytuck) to prevent engine noise and gases from getting threw.
GORD.
Ron will bring on down to BOSTON swim in.