Rear Bumper Molding

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
:032:What's the secret to fitting some of Gordon Imports new rear bumper chrome molding on an Amphicar??? I know he always leaves the trim length too long, but the bends(especially the ends) are nowhere close to fitting. The bends at the end are way to shallow and need to be increased quite a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ted

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Gordons wont tell? It helps to have someone else hold metal. Pull and stretch vinyl and at same time push it into bends. Warmer temps are better. Dave the Wave

Woodsie

Ted - did a set last spring using cut out blocks of wood to support profile of the aluminum in a vise (Used a Jigsawto create two half blocks). Very slowly bent the curve to match the correct profile of the back of the car - then shorten each end slowly (two moldings 4 ends not much fun)
but it came out perfect. - make sure you put-figure the black underlay on when your figuring the fit to the car this will make a difference. It really seems hard till you get one going.
Start off with each part with a center mark on the trim molding and a mark on the car - ( pencil mark) - line them up - then start trimming each end and fitting this will make the part centered hopefullyand staight

Good Luck Dave

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
I read question too quick. It also helps if old ones are use able to help use as a pattern. Or return new and sand and buff old ones. Dave

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Called G.I. on Monday and spoke with Scott about fitting the new aluminum rear bumper trim. His answer was to use a block of wood and a big rubber mallet, so I knew I was in for a real job. I ended up making a wooden form the same contour as the body behind the molding and then used a rubber mallet to form the aluminum. It's pretty hard stuff and the rubber mallet probably wouldn't hurt it, but I covered it in masking tape to protect the finish. It would have been quicker to make the form the full length of the bumper and work on both ends at the same time, but I didn't have a 2x6 long enough. I think it would be a whole lot easier forming these out of a straight piece of molding about 2 foot longer so as to have something to grasp and pull around the ends. Anyway it's done. I think it's about the same way that Dave did his.
Ted

Attachments

• Rbump 001s.JPG
    Rbump 001s.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Rbump 003s.JPG
    Rbump 003s.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 69
  • Rbump 004s.JPG
    Rbump 004s.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Rbump 006s.JPG
    Rbump 006s.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 65

MAE

Amphicar Expert
Looks like you did a really nice job. Seems like repairing the old ones would be worth the effort. Plus I don't know how much these replacements cost.

fouramphs

You got me all worried. I installed a set yesterday and ends were exact, just had to cut off 1/2 inch on each end. I used a old one as template.
Be very carefull when drilling holes, I do only 50% of the screw holes and test fit 1st, then clean out metal cuttings and use a sealant when doing final install.I also have a very good replacement black inner(Marine) that look like original but is only $12.00
I have a fair amount of the 1/4 inch strips for the back that fits proper into the trim(NOS)46-09but only in black
GORD>S

Woodsie

OK -
as far as the moldings are concerned all the cars vary on the overall rear bumper contour-angle (the car back sheet metal) if you want to make it fit right its very likely to have to change the angle slightly for a 50k fit

It would be impossible to make the molding as a reproduction to be perfect for every car especially after the rear has been reconstructed

Teds not going crazy !

Dave (not claiming to be a expert)