Maxxis tires

Propcar50

I'm getting ready to replace my 11-year-old bias-ply tires. I'm ready to go radial. One brand that keeps coming up in my searches is Maxxis. Anyone familiar with it? Any info would be appreciated.

Randy
Maryland

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Maxxis is Cheng Shin Rubber from China. Seems to be a popular trailer tire, they probably manufacture other store brands.

Consumer Reports found that the Maxxis Escapade MA-T1 was a solid value. It ranked 7th out of 23 tires tested.

From what CR is saying, you're better off with the Maxxis Escapade MA-T1 than you are with such popular tires as BFGoodrich Traction T/A, Cooper CS4 Touring, Yokohama Avid TRZ, etc. I probably wouldn't buy the brand, just since I have no experience with it. But if you're concerned whether or not they'll be total losers, it doesn't look like it.

Note, these ratings would only apply to the model CR tested, the Escapade MA-T1. A different Maxxis tire would compare differently.

Propcar50

Thanks Mike. When I started my search, I contacted Coker (where my current tires were purchased) and asked them what my options were for a radial, white wall tire. They offered two options: a BFGoodrich with a 2 1/4" whitewall width priced at $192/tire and a Maxxis tire in the same size priced at $96/tire, but with a much narrower white wall. The nearly $100 price difference per tire certainly caught my attention. Knowing that Maxxis is not a total loser is also helpful. With a little more searching, I found this link, which I think is the Maxxis tire Coker is referencing.
http://www.tireoptionsonline.com/product/287/6228.html

We use the Vredestein Sprint Classic which is available in the original 640x13 size but is a radial. It is made in Holland, reasonably priced and works superbly on Amphicar. Vredestein were original fit on our cars of course. There is even a whitewall version. Remember you have to use a tube with the Amphicar wheels.

Propcar50

Thank you, Cameron. I did a quick search and it turns out there's a tire dealer that handles Vredestein tires not too far from me. I've contacted them for a quote.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Tubes can NOT be used with New Radial tires
I have MANY Amphicars since 1994, the rim will hold air good and not leak or break bead even with hard driving and I do that!
only time I have had tire trouble(Flats) is when I put tubes in radials. they pinch over time and leak

Wow, things must be different in Canada !
My dad has used tubes with radial tyres in all our Amphicars since 1987 and driven over 30,000 miles on them with no problems. The European tyre manufactures explain that the issue is not the tyre but the wheel. Driving with a radial tyre on a wheel designed for bias tyres (so before the mid 1960s) would invalidate your insurance in many European countries as there is a serious risk of the tyre rolling off the rim if the pressure is low.
Amphicar wheels were made by the same supplier as Mercedes wheels and Mercedes give the same advice.
It is important to use a quality tube as many are now Chinese rubbish and not suitable for road use.
I think there is more information on vintagetyres.co.uk where we buy all ours from.
Cameron.

strandweiss62

If there is a paper label inside the tire, you have to remove it. Otherwise it will damage the tube. A rusty rim has the same effect.

There is no hump on Amphicar rims, so you need to use tubes. As Cameron mentioned, driving curves in higher speeds, the tire may deflate in milliseconds and roll of the rim.

Peter

jfriese

I used tube tires for years on my two Amphicars and the trouble I had was with the tubes pinching and going flat a few times. Several years ago I switched to tubeless and have never had any trouble with them on the curvy mountain roads that I run on. Even with the front tires running at 20 PSI they have never lost a bead or gone flat. When I was running tubes I routinely had to top them off each month or so. Without tubes such topping off is only necessary about every 3 months.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

such disparate convictions regarding tubes/no tubes! Has any detente occurred on this topic since the last post over 4 years ago?

jfriese

Jon,

I used to run tubes and had flats from the tubes failing. Went tubeless about 9 years ago and no problems since.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

We are still tubers ! The subject comes up lots here in the UK as the Vredestein classic is a very popular tyre, radial but in bias/crossply sizes. You see it fitted to Jags, Triumphs, Lotus, Alfas - lots of stuff that original were bias/crossply. Answer from Vredestein and the tyre suppliers is if the wheel wasn't designed to be tubeless (so doesn't have a safety ridge) you have to fit a tube. We have had no problems with tubes, must be 10,000 miles now on Vredesteins. Had a puncture repair a few years (nail through tyre) and nothing scary inside. It is difficult to by quality tubes now though, have to be specially ordered, most tyre places only stock cheap Chinese rubbish. Saying that, always value Johns opinion, but we differ on this !!!!

Jon March

cam - can you post some pics and the current vredestien stock number? maybe they would be a good option here, if there is a distributor stateside?

jfriese

Cameron,

I too worried about the lack of safety ridge for years, and read a lot of different opinions about it. I drive winding mountain roads to get to the lakes in my region and was originally worried about going tubeless, especially since I only run 20 PSI in my front 185 radial tires. I believe it was Hugh that convinced me that going tubeless would be fine and I've never had any problems doing so, even on those winding mountain roads. Sometimes I hit those tight corners harder than I should but still I've never had a problem.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red