Im looking for shocks -

Jon March

all 4 are shot - i compressed them and die grinder cut thru the chrome shaft on each bad shock,
...leaving me with the original 1967 coil springs - which may or may not even be smart to use?
(fronts are thru-hull bayonet stud type)

What do you have that you can sell me?

I think? i would like a pair of current Gordon Imports front springs (that are temp out of stock)
....and a pair of adjustable Aldens for the rear
Or maybe Aldens in the front, if they are adjustable and have solved the front-firmness issues?

JON

PS - is this info correct -
.....I compiled to try to put all the data i could find in one spot

Rear options:

NOS - but prob dried out seals!%

GORDON Imports
--reproduction coil overs

ALDEN 6-position adjustables
--Coil-over and shock assembled
--Shock with just end plates that you can use with your own springs - but Dave Wave commented that if you use old springs, they will wear out the shock in a couple seasons. Not sure where to get correct new springs?

Gord -
at one point was using Royal Distributing shocks & custom springs & bushings

Front options:

NOS - but prob dried out seals!%

GORDON Imports
--reproduction coil overs

ALDEN - but some report issues - not sure if they
--ride too hard?
--are too soft?
--im unclear if they are bolt-top or bayonet/thru hull type
--are they adjustable?

MAECKO PK22K1 - Ken Cambers surplus/online find from 10 years ago --no sign of them online anymore
--unclear if they were bolt-top or bayonet/thru hull type--first batch had coils
--second batch came without, requiring custom spring reytainers to accept original or summitt springs - retainers designed by Ryan Polcin & Tony in NH made
--Jack canitfloat Howland adapters to use in thru-hull later cars
-- i think due to the bolts being slightly larger, shock bushings may need to be drilled slightly larger to accept them.

Gord -
at one point was using Royal Distributing shocks & custom springs & bushings

Last edited:

LSolheim

Shocks have always been of interest to me, Jon, due to the very high mileage and unusual geometry on my car when flat towing some 85,000 miles. I have a set of Alden adjustables originally purchased from GI. I give Alden a lot of credit as they have (had?) a lifetime warranty for inspection and rebuild as required.

Due to the flat towing I actually used those surplus snowmobile shocks for years until I wore out the springs on them. I did have to fabricate an upper bracket/extension to convert the fronts to the bayonet mount. I have another set, of shocks, but no matching springs. I have always thought that the stock Amphi springs seemed stiff for the weight they support, but have nothing to support that thought.

The springs in the picture are OEM, like the ones you retained. I am using the rear springs on another homemade set. I do see the lower bushing sleeve is missing from one of the rear shocks. If you are interested I can look around some more.

$80/ea + UPS and you can have them. They have been in the cupboard for 14 years or so, but I know of nothing wrong with them, although they are "as is". If Aldan is still around they should still be covered should you find any issue. --Larry
IMG_20180921_122511.jpg