do new motor & tranny mounts affect motor height/fan shroud alignment?

Jon March

the 4 new mounts all seem a little taller - read a post that the rubber mounts from Gordons are bigger and introduce issues (bilge oil pan drain not lining up, etc?

okey0

my oil pan drain lines up perfectly after installing the new mounts from gordons (did both engine and tranny mounts).

jfriese

Gordon's motor mounts work fine. Amphicar had trouble getting the engine to line up reliably with the 1 inch opening on many cars. That's why they changed to the 2 inch bilge drain plug. Too bad they didn't have a nice screw type plug like the 1" version. Their 2" version is a piece of junk and sometimes leaks. The 2" plug that I designed works perfectly without any modification to the car. I've used one for about 14 years now with no problem, and you can remove and install the plug by hand, without any tools.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

Ive got a titled 67 - but it has the early style small hole. My "late car" sure has a ton of early stuff on it!#

Last edited:

jfriese

Both of my cars are titled 1967 but one was clearly an earlier assembly than the other.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

Anyone know what is the exact thread size on the early/smaller bronze drain plugs? I took my drain plug to Home Depot and a hardware store today, and it seems to be between a 1" and 3/4" ?!

I also have the newer style GI engine and tranny mounts and yes, my oil drain plug doesn't line up with the bilge drain hole. Engine sits too high as if the mounts are too thick. Still waiting after 6 years for them to soften and allow engine to sit lower. Very annoying when changing oil.

jfriese

I believe this trouble, getting the engine drain to line up with the drain hole, was the reason Amphicar switched to a 2 inch drain hole in late cars. OF course, that plug was a pain to use and often had seepage problems. I came up with an improved version of the late style drain plug.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red