Wipers

azpaul50

I recently put a set of Gordon's new wipers on my Amphi and was going to toss the old ones. I think they are original since they have a tiny diamond and are marked made in Germany. My Amphi is far from original so I'm not really concerned. Meanwhile, I'm wondering if these old ones have any value? They would need the rubber replaced but I also kept the little clips/spacers that hold it to the arm "U". If anybody wants them, I'll put 'em on eBay. - AZP

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Paul,

Yes, I would think these have value. I got a set of the new ones from Gordon's and while they are nice, the style is different from original. The most noticeable difference is at the end of the arm where it attaches to the car. Instead of stamped steel, it is folded into more of a square (will try to post a picture later). I am not sure I yet if I will use the new ones.

The original arms are unobtanium so if yours are in good shape I am certain someone will want them. Since alternatives are now available, the value has probably dropped a bit since the following was posted, still they are likely worth something.

http://www.amphicar770.com/threads/looking-for-a-windshield-wiper-arm.6551/

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Here is my original arm next to the new one. What I do not know with certainty is if the old arms are original so perhaps someone else can comment.

strandweiss62

This SWF wiper was originally mounted on my car. It was made of zinc? die cast, the blade is secured with a screw.

Wiper4.jpg
Wiper5.jpg

And this is a contemporary SWF replacement part, i got from a collector of NOS parts. It is much more rounded than Gordon's reproduction.

Wiper2.jpg
Wiper3.jpg

Last edited:

azpaul50

I used the existing arms. My comments refer only to the part that attaches to the arm's "U" ends by pulling them in until they snap in place. I suppose you'd call them "refills" although they are actually the holders for the sqeegee rubbers. Some people call only the rubber parts as refills, I think. I couldn't easily find replacements for just the rubbers that were short enough and still had proper plastic ends caps. It just so happened that the subject came up while ordering other stuff from Gordons so I just took the easy way out. With that said, are they still worth anything?? I'd probably start at ten bucks. I sell other stuff on ebay and find that hobby trade dies off during the holidays. I'd probably list them after the new year begins but now you have me thinking... I wonder if they match either my Isetta or Messerschmitt wipers? Hmmm.... I'll have to take a look... Say... I'm collecting international flags on our personal website. www.radvet.com . I got Sweden and Canada from the Schmitt folks earlier today. Anyone Euro folks out there, come on by! - AZP

jfriese

I've restored 3 Amphicars and all 3 had scrapes on the windshields. For this reason I worry more about a metal blade than a totally original look on my cars. For that reason I run blades that are all black plastic so if it should ever manage to get pushed against the windshield it won't scratch it.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red