windshield rubber

K

Ken ''KD'' Roy

Guest
Has anyone found a source for windshield rubber yet?
Brain, how about you??
If not, I found a place about 20 miles from me that makes molded parts for
cars & old cars are their speciality.
I talked to the design guy & he said it costs less than $200 to make the
mold, & if we order enough, (a dozen or so),
the cost should be between $50-$100 a windshield.
They can even make the white beading so it looks original.
If anyone's interested, let me know.
Also, does anyone have a decent original as a sample??
I don't have one, so I'd need to borrow one to give them.

Ken Roy
4848 Gershwin Ave
Oakdale MN 55128
651-770-2757
kdroy@hotmail.com


_________________________________________________________________
Join the world?s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
http://www.hotmail.com
 
A

a_colo_native

Guest
Ken,

I have a piece of an original one you can have. I certainly would be
interested in having a correctly done replacemnet.

John
 
J

jfriese

Guest
Hi Ken,
Having just put my old windshield back in after a paint job, I have
the old rubber here (used, but with white line) and some extra from
the replacement rubber that Hugh sells. Let me know if you want it.
I'd be interested in some original looking stuff.

John Friese


--- In amphicar-lovers@y..., "Ken 'KD' Roy" <kdroy@h...> wrote:
> Has anyone found a source for windshield rubber yet?
> Brain, how about you??
> If not, I found a place about 20 miles from me that makes molded
parts for
> cars & old cars are their speciality.
> I talked to the design guy & he said it costs less than $200 to make
the
> mold, & if we order enough, (a dozen or so),
> the cost should be between $50-$100 a windshield.
> They can even make the white beading so it looks original.
> If anyone's interested, let me know.
> Also, does anyone have a decent original as a sample??
> I don't have one, so I'd need to borrow one to give them.
>
> Ken Roy
> 4848 Gershwin Ave
> Oakdale MN 55128
> 651-770-2757
> kdroy@h...
>
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
> http://www.hotmail.com
 
B

B Crombie

Guest
KD,
I went as far as calling Steele Rubber Products to inquire about die costs.
The guy I spoke to quoted me quite a range over the phone. Anywhere
from $300.00 to $2,000.00 for a die. Sounds like your lead is the way
to go. After little thought, I decided to not pursue it any further for
fear of
someone else coming up with the same item at a lower cost.

I would get a sample from John Friese from his leftovers he got from
Gordon's and one from John Bevins to compare the two. John Bevins sample
may be distorted due to it's age and if Gordon's is NOS or after
market/original
shape, then your die maker should be able to get very close to the desired
shape.

Be sure to ask, if you order it, whether or not you become the owner of
the die. I have worked with aluminum extruders in the past and own three
dies which allows no unauthorized use by any other extruders customers.

Put me down for two if you go through with this.

Thanks!
Brian Crombie


----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken 'KD' Roy" <kdroy@hotmail.com>
To: <amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 8:29 AM
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] windshield rubber


> Has anyone found a source for windshield rubber yet?
> Brain, how about you??
 
K

Ken ''KD'' Roy

Guest
I received a pretty good response on pursuing the windshield rubber.
John Isetta stated he has worked with this company before.
I'm not going in the parts business,
so owning the rights isn't a big deal for me.
I'm just doing this on a break-even basis to help everyone who ordered
windshields from Brian.
If this works, after the 1st batch is made, people could just buy directly
from them.

John(minnow), John Friese, Gord Souter:
I need a good example of a windshield rubber, with the white beading, from
one of you to get measurements.
I assume they will have to cut it to get a cross-section of it.
Do you have anything like this that you could send me??

Till later....
Ken Roy
651-770-2757
kdroy@hotmail.com




_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com
 
A

a_colo_native

Guest
> John(minnow), John Friese, Gord Souter:
> I need a good example of a windshield rubber, with the white
beading, from
> one of you to get measurements.
> I assume they will have to cut it to get a cross-section of it.
> Do you have anything like this that you could send me??


I have some things going in the mail this weekend, so I will toss in
a section I have to you as well. They can cut it if need be, I won't
need it back.

John Bevins
 
T

tommyintpa@aol.com

Guest
In a message dated 4/25/02 9:32:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kdroy@hotmail.com writes:


> They can even make the white beading so it looks original.
> If anyone's interested, let me know.
> Also, does anyone have a decent original as a sample??
> I don't have one, so I'd need to borrow one to give them.
>
> Ken Roy
>

Hi, Sign me up for three. The white stripe is VERY important. I don't want no
stinkin all black gasket. Tommy in Tampa


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
 
V

vaircrazy

Guest
Ken,
Put me down for one windshield rubber. Don't have windshield in yet
so now is the time to put new rubber on it.
Mike Bayman
4372 W. U.S. Hwy. 36
Urbana, Ohio 43078
937-652-2505




> They can even make the white beading so it looks original.
> If anyone's interested, let me know.
> Also, does anyone have a decent original as a sample??
> I don't have one, so I'd need to borrow one to give them.
>
> Ken Roy
> 4848 Gershwin Ave
> Oakdale MN 55128
> 651-770-2757
> kdroy@h...
>
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
> http://www.hotmail.com
 
K

Ken ''KD'' Roy

Guest
For all of you who responded to my windshield rubber,
here's what I'm gonna do.
John & John are sending me some samples.
I'm going to take them to the molding place
& get a more accurate price.
Then I'll let everyone know, & take orders on them if it sounds good.
I've kept track of everyone that asked me for one so far.
Till later......Ken Roy



_________________________________________________________________
Join the world?s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
http://www.hotmail.com
 
M

Michael Echemann

Guest
Ken:
Put me down for one also.
Mike
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken 'KD' Roy" <kdroy@hotmail.com>
To: <amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 9:32 AM
Subject: [amphicar-lovers] windshield rubber


>
> For all of you who responded to my windshield rubber,
> here's what I'm gonna do.
> John & John are sending me some samples.
> I'm going to take them to the molding place
> & get a more accurate price.
> Then I'll let everyone know, & take orders on them if it sounds good.
> I've kept track of everyone that asked me for one so far.
> Till later......Ken Roy
>
>
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
> http://www.hotmail.com
>
>
>
> THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Before posting requests for information, please check the List
> Archives:
> http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
> For more information about this List and other available services
> visit:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
> To UNsubscribe from this List, just send a blank email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> Any other issues may be addressed to the List owner (Mike Israel) at:
> amphicar770@yahoo.com
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>
>
 
K

Ken ''KD'' Roy

Guest
Just an update on the windshield rubber.
I talked to the guy yesterday.
He's gonna be out of town & won't have an estimate until Mon, May20.
He's trying to figure out how to do the white stripe.
One idea is the make the black piece with an indentation,
then make a white piece that could be bonded in the indentation.
Also, does anyone have a sample of one of the corners? John??
If so, could you send it to me?
He could sell us the 'rubber-by-the-foot',
or miter & bond the corners for us.
He'll give me an estimate both ways.
Till later....
Ken Roy
4848 Gershwin Ave
Oakdale MN 55128
651-770-2757
kdroy@hotmail.com


_________________________________________________________________
Join the world?s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
http://www.hotmail.com
 
K

Ken ''KD'' Roy

Guest
Just an update on the windshield rubber.
One of the molding guys quit, & they got behind.
They sent me a partial quote just for the black rubber.
They now have to send me a quote on the white stripe which they will adhere
to the black rubber.
I also left them a windshield with an old rubber (thanks, Rick Fry),
so they could use that as a pattern to make a complete unit with vulcanized
corners.
I'm still not sure of the complete price.
I'm hoping for about $100, but it's hard to guess.
I should know more next week.

Till later.....
Ken Roy
Oakdale MN 55128
651-770-2757
kdroy@hotmail.com


_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx
 
K

Ken ''KD'' Roy

Guest
Well, here's another update on windshield rubber.
The good news/bads news story.
The Good News:
I talked to to rubber-guys, & they have a way to make the molding with the
white stripe molded right in, then vulcanize the corners to have a complete
unit.
They should have a price next week. (I've heard that before).
The minimum order would be higher, so I decided to call Hugh Gordon to see
if he wanted to get some in order to reach the minimum.
The Bad Mews: (or maybe good news cuz I found out in time).
When I told him about my project, he said he was doing the same & should
have some done by next week.
Knowing that, I may have to scrap my idea, unless my prices are a lot
cheaper.

Till later.....
Ken Roy
4848 Gershwin Ave
Oakdale MN 55128
651-770-2757
kdroy@hotmail.com


_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx
 
K

Ken ''KD'' Roy

Guest
Well, it's official.
Hugh Gordon has come up with a windshield rubber with a white stripe.
He had a sample in Celina, & it looked excellent.
The corners are all pre-glued(vulcanized),
so the rubbers are ready to use.
The white strip was made as a separate piece,
then interlocked & glued into the black piece so it shouldn't
fall out or dis-color.
He's selling them for $125 each, so I ordered one.
Needless to say, I'm abandoning my project of having these made.
I might have been able to do it a little cheaper,
but it's now not worth the hassle.
Thanks for all the response I got on this.
I misplaced some of my notes,
so whoever sent me the complete rubber sample, do you want it back??

Oh yeh, I want to thank everyone who bought parts from me.
It allowed me to make enough to pay Gordon for all the parts
I bought from him.
Ken Roy
Oakdale MN 55128
651-770-2757
kdroy@hotmail.com


_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com
 
E

edsonh2000

Guest
I was at Gordon's this morning getting great advice from Scott on my
pilot shaft oil seal/double lip oil seal/clutch job and saw a pile of
these new windshield rubbers you are refrring to lying on the floor
of the warehouse.

They look pretty good to me!

Ed Howard
Orange County, CA
64 Red (currently with tranny on the garage floor!)

--- In amphicar-lovers@y..., "Ken 'KD' Roy" <kdroy@h...> wrote:
> Well, it's official.
> Hugh Gordon has come up with a windshield rubber with a white
stripe.
> He had a sample in Celina, & it looked excellent.
> The corners are all pre-glued(vulcanized),
> so the rubbers are ready to use.
> The white strip was made as a separate piece,
> then interlocked & glued into the black piece so it shouldn't
> fall out or dis-color.
> He's selling them for $125 each, so I ordered one.
> Needless to say, I'm abandoning my project of having these made.
> I might have been able to do it a little cheaper,
> but it's now not worth the hassle.
> Thanks for all the response I got on this.
> I misplaced some of my notes,
> so whoever sent me the complete rubber sample, do you want it back??
>
> Oh yeh, I want to thank everyone who bought parts from me.
> It allowed me to make enough to pay Gordon for all the parts
> I bought from him.
> Ken Roy
> Oakdale MN 55128
> 651-770-2757
> kdroy@h...
>
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device:
http://mobile.msn.com
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Lake Geneva, windshield rubber General Amphicar Discussion 0
I Windshield Rubber - a little advice General Amphicar Discussion 0
D windshield wiper motor bench test General Amphicar Discussion 3
Akamphi Windshield and door handle instal General Amphicar Discussion 1
laserfixr Windshield Wipers Stuck General Amphicar Discussion 5
tpls63 Windshield Wipers General Amphicar Discussion 7
T Looking for a Windshield Wiper Arm General Amphicar Discussion 8
G PS windshield wiper & stuff General Amphicar Discussion 0
G Windshield wipers and Stuff General Amphicar Discussion 2
G windshield washer pump General Amphicar Discussion 10
A Windshield / top / trunk boards wanted General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Amphi windshield General Amphicar Discussion 3
E Windshield Wiper Motor Removal General Amphicar Discussion 1
S windshield/SEEPs General Amphicar Discussion 1
C Windshield gaskets... General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Windshield Update General Amphicar Discussion 3
P Windshield Totals General Amphicar Discussion 6
D windshield glass General Amphicar Discussion 4
B Amphi Windshield Smashed! General Amphicar Discussion 1
J Used Windshield needed General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March best rubber brake cylinder caps? General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Rubber Dust Caps General Amphicar Discussion 3
SNOWBIRD Floor Rubber back in stock General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March Metal VS rubber fuel line? General Amphicar Discussion 4
rhysaccess Rubber front axle grease caps? General Amphicar Discussion 3
SNOWBIRD Floor Rubber General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Headlight rubber sealing ring General Amphicar Discussion 4
D Kens front axle rubber caps - GET THEM ! General Amphicar Discussion 4
C RUBBER AXLE CAPS !!! General Amphicar Discussion 24
G Rubber floor mats General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Rear Axle Rubber Boot General Amphicar Discussion 3
T radiator rubber (buffer) mount substitute 9-30-38 General Amphicar Discussion 1
Top