Water Leaks Into Trunk Area

Countdown Clock to Amphicar Forums Shutdown

Gchubb

I am new to Amphicar and am trying to diagnose the source of a leak in the front of the vehicle.

When swimming, there is a steady flow of water from front to back coming from under the seat platform. There is evidence of water entering the trunk but it is not coming from the trunk lid seals (we don't splash water over the hood, enter fast, or swim in waves). The water is estimated to enter at the rate of 1 gallon per minute. I removed the steering linkage cover plate then I filled the hull to about 3" of depth. After a few minutes, a small drip came from the steering linkage area; source unknown. Over the course of 1 1/4 hours, the total dripped water was only about 1/2 quart. I could easily live with this amount; but not a gallon per minute.

Clearly there is more external water force when swimming than the internal force from 3" of water in the hull, but given the minor drip, it makes me think the culprit leak is somewhere else.

My next plan of attack is to hit the front of the car (suspension, bumper mounts, etc.) with a water hose to see if any water comes into the trunk area. Any other ideas or experience with front end leaks that I might check out?

Thanks.

Gary Chubb

Gchubb

Thanks for the info. I took out the seat and floor and the evidence shows the water is coming in the doors (dirty water streaks below the doors). So, I'm guessing the water in the trunk area is really just water sloshing forward from the hull.

I can't go swimming yet as the seat is at an upholsterer getting repaired. There are new seals on the doors and testing by pulling paper through with the doors latched indicates the seals are tight. I had already adjusted the dead bolt latches for a tighter seal. Any advice on snugging up the doors to get a better seal (shims, doubling the seals, etc.)?Door Leaks.jpg

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
I am new to Amphicar and am trying to diagnose the source of a leak in the front of the vehicle.

When swimming, there is a steady flow of water from front to back coming from under the seat platform. There is evidence of water entering the trunk but it is not coming from the trunk lid seals (we don't splash water over the hood, enter fast, or swim in waves). The water is estimated to enter at the rate of 1 gallon per minute. I removed the steering linkage cover plate then I filled the hull to about 3" of depth. After a few minutes, a small drip came from the steering linkage area; source unknown. Over the course of 1 1/4 hours, the total dripped water was only about 1/2 quart. I could easily live with this amount; but not a gallon per minute.

Clearly there is more external water force when swimming than the internal force from 3" of water in the hull, but given the minor drip, it makes me think the culprit leak is somewhere else.

My next plan of attack is to hit the front of the car (suspension, bumper mounts, etc.) with a water hose to see if any water comes into the trunk area. Any other ideas or experience with front end leaks that I might check out?

Thanks.

Gary Chubb
Headlight bucket rubbers. The ones that seal the wires. They are low and an amazing amount of water will enter. Glue the heck out of them

StephenChu

Thanks.

Gary Chubb
Where the steering column exits the hull , there is a wide rubber boot that is almost paper thin, and it bolts down to the hull with several screws on a flange.

Gchubb

With the seat and floor out, we went swimming and the water is not coming in the doors; it appears my adjustments got the doors watertight. I really think the streaks under the door were because we did not dead bolt them during a swim (oops!). Clearly we have water flooding over the hull from the front of the car. It is not the headlights, the steering boot, or the trunk gasket. I may try the phone camera trick to see if that might show something. So far it is a complete mystery!

StephenChu

Just one time ever I forgot to water lock the passenger door. You could hear the water more than trickling in. As soon as I water locked that door it stopped.