Water Injection, Anyone?

B

Bill Connelly

<table lang="EN-US" style="tab-interval: .5in" vLink="purple" link="blue" bgColor="#c8e0d8">
<font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">OK, so here's a question that's never been posed to the collectivewisdom and experience that is this Amphicar-Lovers List (and no, I'm <font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">not</span></font> gonna ask if I can pull off this little red spaghetti strap number with the sequins I'm wearing without looking "trashy"...I mean, that's old ground, isn't it?...And besides it makes my butt look huge<font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">!</span></font>):</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<div class="Section1">
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">No, the actual question is this: Has anyone had any firsthand experiencewith </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">'Water Injection'</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> in anAmphicar or any other vehicle?</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Water injection systemsbasicallyspray or draw afine streamor mist of water or a water/methanol mixture into the engine's carburetor or fuel injectors, typicallybased on intake vacuum, RPM or other measurements of engine load, thereby slowing down the burn rateof the gasoline in the combustion chambers andso effectively raising the octane number (which isjust a measurement of burn rate: the higher the octane number, the slower it burns).</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Water injection systems, though first seen during the very infancy of the internal combustion engine (as earlyas 1904 a combined water injector/carburetor unit was used both to cool and reduce knocking in some kerosene/gasoline flexible-fueled tractor engines), and then later used during WWII in some fighter aircraft to achieve increased power and higher altitudes,they first experienced their real heydey ofpopular useas aftermarket kits sold during the 1970s and'80s when the old style leaded high octane fuels started disappearing fromthe pumps. Such systems were saidto reduce or eliminate harmful engine ping and knocking caused by pre-ignition in those big old high-compression V8 engines designed for the old richer leaded 'hi-test' juice. These water injection systems were also said toimprove power andgas mileage, andare often found strongly recommended in engine tuning guides of the period, like the definitive 1983 guide for RV tuners and tweakers by John Geraghty titled<u>RX for RV: Trailer Life's RX for RV performance & mileage</u>. <span class="GramE">(Agoura Hills, California: TL Enterprises, 1983).</span> Such aftermarketinjector kits were produced by Edelbrock (called "Vara-Jection" or "VaraJection"), Spearco (called "Trijectronic"), Holley, and others. Current-day turbo-tweakers and other horsepower-floggers still use far more complicated (and expensive) water and water-and-methanol injection systems nowadays made by companies like AquaMist, CoolingMist and others, while somecurrent turbo models of vehicles such as the Saab 99 even come withfactory-installed units as an option.</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I have recently purchased an old new-in-box EdelbrockVara-Jection water injection system off of eBay, which I plan to install in the </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">ancient RV I've recently purchased</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">, with its 440 cid V8, as part of my larger maniacal-but-budget-conscious plan of roaming the continent with the Amphicar in tow inflicting my and my family's personalities on innocent passers-by throughout this great land of ours.Ithas also occurred to me that such a water injection unit might also serve to both haul down those often high engine temperatures and perhaps even providea marginal power boost tohelpourAmphicars haul themselves upthose bighills too. So, I thought I should ask you all about it. Sure, there's lots out there to read in </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Googleville</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> about water injection and engines,but are there any thoughts or experiences on them out there amongst the highly esteemed web-toed motoring horde? </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">~Bilgey~</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>

B

Bill Connelly

<table lang="EN-US" style="tab-interval: .5in" vLink="purple" link="blue" bgColor="#c8e0d8">
<font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">OK, so here's a question that's never been posed to the collectivewisdom and experience that is this Amphicar-Lovers List (and no, I'm <font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">not</span></font> gonna ask if I can pull off this little red spaghetti strap number with the sequins I'm wearing without looking "trashy"...I mean, that's old ground, isn't it?...And besides it makes my butt look huge<font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">!</span></font>):</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<div class="Section1">
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">No, the actual question is this: Has anyone had any firsthand experiencewith </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">'Water Injection'</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> in anAmphicar or any other vehicle?</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Water injection systemsbasicallyspray or draw afine streamor mist of water or a water/methanol mixture into the engine's carburetor or fuel injectors, typicallybased on intake vacuum, RPM or other measurements of engine load, thereby slowing down the burn rateof the gasoline in the combustion chambers andso effectively raising the octane number (which isjust a measurement of burn rate: the higher the octane number, the slower it burns).</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Water injection systems, though first seen during the very infancy of the internal combustion engine (as earlyas 1904 a combined water injector/carburetor unit was used both to cool and reduce knocking in some kerosene/gasoline flexible-fueled tractor engines), and then later used during WWII in some fighter aircraft to achieve increased power and higher altitudes,they first experienced their real heydey ofpopular useas aftermarket kits sold during the 1970s and'80s when the old style leaded high octane fuels started disappearing fromthe pumps. Such systems were saidto reduce or eliminate harmful engine ping and knocking caused by pre-ignition in those big old high-compression V8 engines designed for the old richer leaded 'hi-test' juice. These water injection systems were also said toimprove power andgas mileage, andare often found strongly recommended in engine tuning guides of the period, like the definitive 1983 guide for RV tuners and tweakers by John Geraghty titled<u>RX for RV: Trailer Life's RX for RV performance & mileage</u>. <span class="GramE">(Agoura Hills, California: TL Enterprises, 1983).</span> Such aftermarketinjector kits were produced by Edelbrock (called "Vara-Jection" or "VaraJection"), Spearco (called "Trijectronic"), Holley, and others. Current-day turbo-tweakers and other horsepower-floggers still use far more complicated (and expensive) water and water-and-methanol injection systems nowadays made by companies like AquaMist, CoolingMist and others, while somecurrent turbo models of vehicles such as the Saab 99 even come withfactory-installed units as an option.</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I have recently purchased an old new-in-box EdelbrockVara-Jection water injection system off of eBay, which I plan to install in the </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">ancient RV I've recently purchased</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">, with its 440 cid V8, as part of my larger maniacal-but-budget-conscious plan of roaming the continent with the Amphicar in tow inflicting my and my family's personalities on innocent passers-by throughout this great land of ours.Ithas also occurred to me that such a water injection unit might also serve to both haul down those often high engine temperatures and perhaps even providea marginal power boost tohelpourAmphicars haul themselves upthose bighills too. So, I thought I should ask you all about it. Sure, there's lots out there to read in </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Googleville</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> about water injection and engines,but are there any thoughts or experiences on them out there amongst the highly esteemed web-toed motoring horde? </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>
<p class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">~Bilgey~</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></span></font>

L

Larry & Nancy Solheim

Surprising, the answer is YES, Bilgey. I put a water injector on my 1973 Jensen Healey so I could run the Lotus engine on regular instead of the required premium gasoline. Did the deed in 1976 and it was running up until last year. My brother has the car now an decided he would rather use premium. The controller used a vacuum switch and a tie in to the distributor to judge when to pump into the side draft Strombergs. The pump was really nothing more than a windshield washer pump. Don't remember the manufacturer. I'll drop a note to my brother and see if he still has the manual. --Larry

Bill Connelly <amphicar@cox.net> wrote: <blockquote class="replbq" style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"> <div id="ygrp-text"> <font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">OK, so here's a question that's never been posed to the collectivewisdom and experience that is this Amphicar-Lovers List (and no, I'm <font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">not</span></font> gonna ask if I can pull off this little red spaghetti strap number with the sequins I'm wearing without looking "trashy"...I mean, that's old ground, isn't it?...And besides it makes my butt look huge<font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">!</span></font>):</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="Section1"> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">No, the actual question is this: Has anyone had any firsthand experiencewith </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">'Water Injection'</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> in anAmphicar or any other vehicle?</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Water injection systemsbasicallyspray or draw afine streamor mist of water or a water/methanol mixture into the engine's carburetor or fuel injectors, typicallybased on intake vacuum, RPM or other measurements of engine load, thereby slowing down the burn rateof the gasoline in the combustion chambers andso effectively raising the octane number (which isjust a measurement of burn rate: the higher the octane number, the slower it burns).</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Water injection systems, though first seen during the very infancy of the internal combustion engine (as
earlyas 1904 a combined water injector/carburetor unit was used both to cool and reduce knocking in some kerosene/gasoline flexible-fueled tractor engines), and then later used during WWII in some fighter aircraft to achieve increased power and higher altitudes,they first experienced their real heydey ofpopular useas aftermarket kits sold during the 1970s and'80s when the old style leaded high octane fuels started disappearing fromthe pumps. Such systems were saidto reduce or eliminate harmful engine ping and knocking caused by pre-ignition in those big old high-compression V8 engines designed for the old richer leaded 'hi-test' juice. These water injection systems were also said toimprove power andgas mileage, andare often found strongly recommended in engine tuning guides of the period, like the definitive 1983 guide for RV tuners and tweakers by John Geraghty titled<u>RX for RV: Trailer Life's RX
for RV performance & mileage</u>. <span class="GramE">(Agoura Hills, California: TL Enterprises, 1983).</span> Such aftermarketinjector kits were produced by Edelbrock (called "Vara-Jection" or "VaraJection"<wbr>), Spearco (called "Trijectronic"<wbr>), Holley, and others. Current-day turbo-tweakers and other horsepower-floggers still use far more complicated (and expensive) water and water-and-methanol injection systems nowadays made by companies like AquaMist, CoolingMist and others, while somecurrent turbo models of vehicles such as the Saab 99 even come withfactory-installed units as an option.</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I have recently
purchased an old new-in-box EdelbrockVara-Jection water injection system off of eBay, which I plan to install in the </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">ancient RV I've recently purchased</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">, with its 440 cid V8, as part of my larger maniacal-but-<wbr>budget-conscious plan of roaming the continent with the Amphicar in tow inflicting my and my family's personalities on innocent passers-by throughout this great land of ours.Ithas also occurred to me that such a water injection unit might also serve to both haul down those often high engine temperatures and perhaps even providea marginal power boost
tohelpourAmphicars haul themselves upthose bighills too. So, I thought I should ask you all about it. Sure, there's lots out there to read in </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Googleville</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> about water injection and engines,but are there any thoughts or experiences on them out there amongst the highly esteemed web-toed motoring horde? </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font>
<div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">~Bilgey~</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> </blockquote>

<hr size="1">No need to miss a message. <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43910/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
">Get email on-the-go </a>
with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43910/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
">Get started.</a>

L

Larry & Nancy Solheim

Surprising, the answer is YES, Bilgey. I put a water injector on my 1973 Jensen Healey so I could run the Lotus engine on regular instead of the required premium gasoline. Did the deed in 1976 and it was running up until last year. My brother has the car now an decided he would rather use premium. The controller used a vacuum switch and a tie in to the distributor to judge when to pump into the side draft Strombergs. The pump was really nothing more than a windshield washer pump. Don't remember the manufacturer. I'll drop a note to my brother and see if he still has the manual. --Larry

Bill Connelly <amphicar@cox.net> wrote: <blockquote class="replbq" style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"> <div id="ygrp-text"> <font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">OK, so here's a question that's never been posed to the collectivewisdom and experience that is this Amphicar-Lovers List (and no, I'm <font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">not</span></font> gonna ask if I can pull off this little red spaghetti strap number with the sequins I'm wearing without looking "trashy"...I mean, that's old ground, isn't it?...And besides it makes my butt look huge<font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">!</span></font>):</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="Section1"> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">No, the actual question is this: Has anyone had any firsthand experiencewith </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">'Water Injection'</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> in anAmphicar or any other vehicle?</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Water injection systemsbasicallyspray or draw afine streamor mist of water or a water/methanol mixture into the engine's carburetor or fuel injectors, typicallybased on intake vacuum, RPM or other measurements of engine load, thereby slowing down the burn rateof the gasoline in the combustion chambers andso effectively raising the octane number (which isjust a measurement of burn rate: the higher the octane number, the slower it burns).</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Water injection systems, though first seen during the very infancy of the internal combustion engine (as
earlyas 1904 a combined water injector/carburetor unit was used both to cool and reduce knocking in some kerosene/gasoline flexible-fueled tractor engines), and then later used during WWII in some fighter aircraft to achieve increased power and higher altitudes,they first experienced their real heydey ofpopular useas aftermarket kits sold during the 1970s and'80s when the old style leaded high octane fuels started disappearing fromthe pumps. Such systems were saidto reduce or eliminate harmful engine ping and knocking caused by pre-ignition in those big old high-compression V8 engines designed for the old richer leaded 'hi-test' juice. These water injection systems were also said toimprove power andgas mileage, andare often found strongly recommended in engine tuning guides of the period, like the definitive 1983 guide for RV tuners and tweakers by John Geraghty titled<u>RX for RV: Trailer Life's RX
for RV performance & mileage</u>. <span class="GramE">(Agoura Hills, California: TL Enterprises, 1983).</span> Such aftermarketinjector kits were produced by Edelbrock (called "Vara-Jection" or "VaraJection"<wbr>), Spearco (called "Trijectronic"<wbr>), Holley, and others. Current-day turbo-tweakers and other horsepower-floggers still use far more complicated (and expensive) water and water-and-methanol injection systems nowadays made by companies like AquaMist, CoolingMist and others, while somecurrent turbo models of vehicles such as the Saab 99 even come withfactory-installed units as an option.</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I have recently
purchased an old new-in-box EdelbrockVara-Jection water injection system off of eBay, which I plan to install in the </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">ancient RV I've recently purchased</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">, with its 440 cid V8, as part of my larger maniacal-but-<wbr>budget-conscious plan of roaming the continent with the Amphicar in tow inflicting my and my family's personalities on innocent passers-by throughout this great land of ours.Ithas also occurred to me that such a water injection unit might also serve to both haul down those often high engine temperatures and perhaps even providea marginal power boost
tohelpourAmphicars haul themselves upthose bighills too. So, I thought I should ask you all about it. Sure, there's lots out there to read in </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Googleville</span></font></span></font><font face="Arial"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> about water injection and engines,but are there any thoughts or experiences on them out there amongst the highly esteemed web-toed motoring horde? </span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font>
<div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">~Bilgey~</span></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> <div class="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></span></font> </blockquote>

<hr size="1">No need to miss a message. <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43910/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
">Get email on-the-go </a>
with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43910/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
">Get started.</a>

G

gtpeterp

One of my friends actually worked in R&D for a company that sells
these, http://www.coolingmist.com/. I've also seen several
supercharged cars using them. I'm not certain of the benefits without
forced induction, but I can certainly put you in touch with him if you
would like to know more. Shoot me a message off list for his
email/phone number.

--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Connelly" <amphicar@...>
wrote:
>
> OK, so here's a question that's never been posed to the collective
wisdom and experience that is this Amphicar-Lovers List (and no, I'm
not gonna ask if I can pull off this little red spaghetti strap number
with the sequins I'm wearing without looking "trashy"...I mean, that's
old ground, isn't it?...And besides it makes my butt look huge!):
>
>
> No, the actual question is this: Has anyone had any firsthand
experience with 'Water Injection' in an Amphicar or any other vehicle?
>
>
>
> Water injection systems basically spray or draw a fine stream or
mist of water or a water/methanol mixture into the engine's carburetor
or fuel injectors, typically based on intake vacuum, RPM or other
measurements of engine load, thereby slowing down the burn rate of the
gasoline in the combustion chambers and so effectively raising the
octane number (which is just a measurement of burn rate: the higher
the octane number, the slower it burns).
>
>
>
> Water injection systems, though first seen during the very infancy
of the internal combustion engine (as early as 1904 a combined water
injector/carburetor unit was used both to cool and reduce knocking in
some kerosene/gasoline flexible-fueled tractor engines), and then
later used during WWII in some fighter aircraft to achieve increased
power and higher altitudes, they first experienced their real heydey
of popular use as aftermarket kits sold during the 1970s and '80s when
the old style leaded high octane fuels started disappearing from the
pumps. Such systems were said to reduce or eliminate harmful engine
ping and knocking caused by pre-ignition in those big old
high-compression V8 engines designed for the old richer leaded
'hi-test' juice. These water injection systems were also said to
improve power and gas mileage, and are often found strongly
recommended in engine tuning guides of the period, like the definitive
1983 guide for RV tuners and tweakers by John Geraghty titled RX for
RV: Trailer Life's RX for RV performance & mileage. (Agoura Hills,
California: TL Enterprises, 1983). Such aftermarket injector kits
were produced by Edelbrock (called "Vara-Jection" or "VaraJection"),
Spearco (called "Trijectronic"), Holley, and others. Current-day
turbo-tweakers and other horsepower-floggers still use far more
complicated (and expensive) water and water-and-methanol injection
systems nowadays made by companies like AquaMist, CoolingMist and
others, while some current turbo models of vehicles such as the Saab
99 even come with factory-installed units as an option.
>
>
>
> I have recently purchased an old new-in-box Edelbrock Vara-Jection
water injection system off of eBay, which I plan to install in the
ancient RV I've recently purchased, with its 440 cid V8, as part of my
larger maniacal-but-budget-conscious plan of roaming the continent
with the Amphicar in tow inflicting my and my family's personalities
on innocent passers-by throughout this great land of ours. It has
also occurred to me that such a water injection unit might also serve
to both haul down those often high engine temperatures and perhaps
even provide a marginal power boost to help our Amphicars haul
themselves up those big hills too. So, I thought I should ask you all
about it. Sure, there's lots out there to read in Googleville about
water injection and engines, but are there any thoughts or experiences
on them out there amongst the highly esteemed web-toed motoring horde?
>
>
>
> ~Bilgey~
>

G

gtpeterp

One of my friends actually worked in R&D for a company that sells
these, http://www.coolingmist.com/. I've also seen several
supercharged cars using them. I'm not certain of the benefits without
forced induction, but I can certainly put you in touch with him if you
would like to know more. Shoot me a message off list for his
email/phone number.

--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Connelly" <amphicar@...>
wrote:
>
> OK, so here's a question that's never been posed to the collective
wisdom and experience that is this Amphicar-Lovers List (and no, I'm
not gonna ask if I can pull off this little red spaghetti strap number
with the sequins I'm wearing without looking "trashy"...I mean, that's
old ground, isn't it?...And besides it makes my butt look huge!):
>
>
> No, the actual question is this: Has anyone had any firsthand
experience with 'Water Injection' in an Amphicar or any other vehicle?
>
>
>
> Water injection systems basically spray or draw a fine stream or
mist of water or a water/methanol mixture into the engine's carburetor
or fuel injectors, typically based on intake vacuum, RPM or other
measurements of engine load, thereby slowing down the burn rate of the
gasoline in the combustion chambers and so effectively raising the
octane number (which is just a measurement of burn rate: the higher
the octane number, the slower it burns).
>
>
>
> Water injection systems, though first seen during the very infancy
of the internal combustion engine (as early as 1904 a combined water
injector/carburetor unit was used both to cool and reduce knocking in
some kerosene/gasoline flexible-fueled tractor engines), and then
later used during WWII in some fighter aircraft to achieve increased
power and higher altitudes, they first experienced their real heydey
of popular use as aftermarket kits sold during the 1970s and '80s when
the old style leaded high octane fuels started disappearing from the
pumps. Such systems were said to reduce or eliminate harmful engine
ping and knocking caused by pre-ignition in those big old
high-compression V8 engines designed for the old richer leaded
'hi-test' juice. These water injection systems were also said to
improve power and gas mileage, and are often found strongly
recommended in engine tuning guides of the period, like the definitive
1983 guide for RV tuners and tweakers by John Geraghty titled RX for
RV: Trailer Life's RX for RV performance & mileage. (Agoura Hills,
California: TL Enterprises, 1983). Such aftermarket injector kits
were produced by Edelbrock (called "Vara-Jection" or "VaraJection"),
Spearco (called "Trijectronic"), Holley, and others. Current-day
turbo-tweakers and other horsepower-floggers still use far more
complicated (and expensive) water and water-and-methanol injection
systems nowadays made by companies like AquaMist, CoolingMist and
others, while some current turbo models of vehicles such as the Saab
99 even come with factory-installed units as an option.
>
>
>
> I have recently purchased an old new-in-box Edelbrock Vara-Jection
water injection system off of eBay, which I plan to install in the
ancient RV I've recently purchased, with its 440 cid V8, as part of my
larger maniacal-but-budget-conscious plan of roaming the continent
with the Amphicar in tow inflicting my and my family's personalities
on innocent passers-by throughout this great land of ours. It has
also occurred to me that such a water injection unit might also serve
to both haul down those often high engine temperatures and perhaps
even provide a marginal power boost to help our Amphicars haul
themselves up those big hills too. So, I thought I should ask you all
about it. Sure, there's lots out there to read in Googleville about
water injection and engines, but are there any thoughts or experiences
on them out there amongst the highly esteemed web-toed motoring horde?
>
>
>
> ~Bilgey~
>

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I 1147 Fuel Injection is on the road/water General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Water/land tranny seal Restorations in progress 15
Jon March Insurance pricing - land & water: General Amphicar Discussion 3
Jon March Suddenly "revving up" when in water -Does your Amphi do this? General Amphicar Discussion 13
X water transmission case General Amphicar Discussion 11
E First day on the water General Amphicar Discussion 3
Jon March Water trans drive gear retainer clips: General Amphicar Discussion 7
Jacques B. Help needed with Amphicar Water trans gears. General Amphicar Discussion 2
SNOWBIRD Another on hits the dust(I mean water) General Amphicar Discussion 1
M water drive switch General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar From Gizmag.com Water release seat belts General Amphicar Discussion 0
rhysaccess Water not draining General Amphicar Discussion 6
kdroy Water in engine General Amphicar Discussion 4
Akamphi Depth / water speed gauge in clock hole General Amphicar Discussion 1
Ed Price Update On Celina Water Problems General Amphicar Discussion 3
T Water pump General Amphicar Discussion 4
T Henry Ford and his Snow Tractor - wonder how it would do on the water? General Amphicar Discussion 2
B Water Car? General Amphicar Discussion 1
C Angle water shift is mounted? General Amphicar Discussion 2
kdroy Amphicar tranny land/water tear apart. General Amphicar Discussion 0
sdreich Water Pump Slot for Grease? General Amphicar Discussion 4
G Front wheel bearings and water General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Water throttle Happy VD General Amphicar Discussion 1
L Water Transmission Cover Replacement General Amphicar Discussion 1
L Water Transmission: Intermediate Gear Needle Bearings General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Salt Water General Amphicar Discussion 0
E Amphicar in salt water General Amphicar Discussion 7
D Water pump boom General Amphicar Discussion 1
J Water Transmission General Amphicar Discussion 0
J Water Tranny Problem General Amphicar Discussion 1
A White Lake NC Water Festival General Amphicar Discussion 1
T WATER PUMP PROBLEM: General Amphicar Discussion 2
W Austin Swim-in (was: Back in the Water!) General Amphicar Discussion 0
L Back in the Water! General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Draining the Water Transmission General Amphicar Discussion 5
S Removing water transmission cover General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Looking for a water pump. General Amphicar Discussion 2