Water in engine

kdroy

This past winter I stored my Amphi in an enclosed trailer in MN.
Much to my horror, the trailer roof leaked & I ended up with water in my car.
This leaked occured in the spring, not winter, so it didn't freeze.
Unfortunately, I left the bilge plug in or it would have drained.
What I didn't realize right away is that water got into my engine.
I only had it running for a few minutes, but that was enough to mix up the oil/water into
a white slimy mess.
I've changed oil 4 times so far, (once with a a quart of kerosone) & ran it for a couple mintues. When I drain the oil, it still looks like chocolate milk.
Any ideas of how the clean this mess without tearing the engine apart?
Maybe if I change oil a dozen or so times, it'll clean itself.
Ken(KD) Roy

goobcarla

Ken - A number of years ago I sank one of my cars. It was close to shore, and once I retrieved it and dried things out, I changed the oil several times and drove the car back and forth to work everyday, about six miles roundtrip, I changed the oil every Saturday all summer and added a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil each time and never had a problem. I have since changed my ways and try not to sink them anymore!

Gary.

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Disconnect oil cooler and blow out with air. I think I would use synthetic oil and run it. You could go further and pull out lifters, each one is a mini bucket holding goo. Pull off oil cooler attachment it has a pocket too. But you will never get moisture out if it never makes it up to operating temps. Later Dave

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I have a large stock of used Oil, From Boats(low hours , changed every year so not so bad)
I use it over and over till all is black then go with new oil
As Dave said blowing out oil cooler will speed it up.

kdroy

I'm on my 9th oil change & the oil now loooks good.

I did the 1st 4 oil changes with used (filtered clean) oil & a quart of kerosene.
After the 3rd, I took the valve cover off & took an air hose & blew the oil out of the lifters.
I then stuck the air hose (with a 3ft 1/4" copper tube at the end)
into the oil pan & blew out a lot of sludge sitting on the bottom of the oil pan.
After each change, I let the engine run for about 5 minutes.

I did the next 4 with cheap new oil & a pint of sea foam.
In between these changes, I let the engine run longer to get it hot.
The 8th change came out looking good, so I put in the good stuff for the 9th.

I finally took the car for a swim & had no leaks!!!
I'm lucky this didn't happen last fall cuz it would've froze during the winter & destroyed my car.
Never again will I store the car with the bilge plug in!!
Ken (KD) Roy