W&W Newsletter is Changing

R

Ron Green

I'm told the newsletter editor (Keith) is wrapping up issue #137. The board has decided to go to a full 16 pages in lieu of the current 8 full size pages folded in half. The new format will have up to 5 pages of color with larger font. Now we all need to send in articles to fill this much larger newsletter. Picture quality will be vastly improved also.

We will also be acquiring a bulk rate postal permit which will greatly reduce the postage to appox .28, which will ship up to 3.3 ounces. Overall the club members will be receiving twice the newsletter for the same amount of production cost, or a tad bit cheaper then what the previous one cost to make. :003:

Ed Price

_____

Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 12:10 PM
To: edprice@cox.net
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20167] Re: W&W Newsletter is
Changing

Nice.

Will the newsletters still be available in a digital format?

Peter

During the time that I was producing the WnW, I created it using MS
Publisher. My commercial printer accepted the copy in Publisher format, but
I also created an Adobe PDF version from the Publisher format. I had about
20 members who had asked for an electronic copy, so I was sending them the
PDF file via an email attachment.

Although I have a fast net connection, distribution like this began to be a
problem because the PDF file was about 8 MB, and some people's mailbox
limits wouldn't allow for an attachment of this size. We thought we had
solved this by placing the PDF file onto the club website, but we
experienced problems with timely maintenance of the website (a problem that
we expect to have fixed now).

The subject of cheaper membership for those who do not require a hard copy
of the WnW has surfaced several times in recent years. It may again be time
to look at this question. However, if the past is any guide, most all
members think of the WnW as almost a "collectible", and still want the
hardcopy even if they ask for an electronic copy. It still seems to me that
website posting (in the members only section) is the best electronic
solution.

Ed Price
IAOC Membership Registrar
El Cajon, CA USA
61 Rust Guppy

PeterP

Works for me. I just like to have the technical articles in a format I can search through. Very often I remember there being an article on something, but no idea which issue it was in, and no inclination to read through every newsletter!

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President

Had I received them from you (since Dec 2007), they would be on the site, so don't put that on me. Getting the file size down is easy if you know how (I did it for every one). If you knew what happened behind the scenes you might understand how labor intensive it can be. Please keep you mud slinging to yourself. I'm trying to be nice here.

Ed Price

_____

Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 6:20 PM
Changing

Quote:
Had I received them from you (since Dec 2007), they would be on the site, so
don't put that on me. Getting the file size down is easy if you know how (I
did it for every one). If you knew what happened behind the scenes you might
understand how labor intensive it can be. Please keep you mud slinging to
yourself. I'm trying to be nice here.

Perhaps, but it doesn't come naturally for you.
Practice, practice, practice!

Ed Price
El Cajon, CA USA
61 Rust Guppy

Thanks for this GREAT news, Ron. I can't wait to see a larger newsletter (as I told Keith). Even with my glasses on I almost need a magnifying glass to read the newsletter. Bigger AND cheaper is even better. I can't wait to see which pictures Keith uses.

Your note is a welcome change from all of this tire, brake fluid, tire insert stuff. I'm getting dizzy reading all about these issues. Ina (in the Boro)
----- Original Message -----
To: ribcab@verizon.net
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 2:14 PM
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20167] W&W Newsletter is Changing

I'm told the newsletter editor (Keith) is wrapping up issue #137. The board has decided to go to a full 16 pages in lieu of the current 8 full size pages folded in half. The new format will have up to 5 pages of color with larger font. Now we all need to send in articles to fill this much larger newsletter. Picture quality will be vastly improved also.

We will also be acquiring a bulk rate postal permit which will greatly reduce the postage to appox .28, which and can ship up to 3.3 ounces. Overall the club members will be receiving twice the newsletter for the same amount or a tad bit cheaper then the previous one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1669 - Release Date: 9/12/2008 2:18 PM

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Perhaps, but it doesn't come naturally for you.
Practice, practice, practice!

Guide to Trolls

A Practical Guide
To "troll" means to allure, to fish, to entice or to bait.Internet trolls are people who fish for other people's confidence and, once found, exploit it.Trolls are various in nature and the type of damage they do ranges greatly, such as:Cause irritation to others;Disrupt an email list or online group;Steal money;Obtain credit card details;
Build false hopes
What is a troll?
The term "troll" can mean a number of different things, but in essence, a troll is a person who aims to have 'pleasure' at your expense. There are two main types of trolls:people who have the psychological need to feel good by making others feel bad. This is a sort of "psycho troll", whose deception involves deceiving themselves as well as others. Such people may use their real names on the internet, and they may not even realise that they are "trolling" because it is all subconscious.people who pretend to be someone that they are not - they create personae that you think are real, but they know is fictitious.
There are four types of these trolls:
Playtime Trolls: an individual plays a simple, short game. Such trolls are relatively easy to spot because their attack or provocation is fairly blatant, and the persona is fairly two-dimensional.
Tactical Trolls: This is where the troller takes the game more seriously, creates a credible persona to gain confidence of others, and provokes strife in a subtle and invidious way.
Strategic Trolls: A very serious form of game, involving the production of an overall strategy that can take months or years to develop. It can also involve a number of people acting together in order to invade a list.
Domination Trolls: This is where the trollers' strategy extends to the creation and running of apparently bona-fide mailing lists.
Dealing with Trolls
Here are some ideas to help avoid being deceived by trolls:
Before you invest your trust in someone - either emotional or financial trust - you should verify their bona fide nature from multiple known, reliable and independent sources.ignore postings that you think are suspicious.beware of off-list emails that praise and flatter, or seem to evoke sympathy. If you feel yourself beginning to like someone, ask first: how much do I know about them from real life sources?
if you do get involved with anyone via the Internet, seek out verifiable data. Real people will provide information about themselves that is open-ended and leads to a myriad of sources which enable you to verify their genuine status.
if you are concerned by email list/group postings, write to the listmaster about it.
listmasters can also make their lists restricted, and conduct a security analysis of each list application before allowing them to subscribe. This is probably easier to do in areas that have professional associations or qualifications.

R

Ron Green

Ina,

I also have problems reading the current format. I believe they call that getting older? :dft012:

I agree it is a welcome bit of news for a change. From speaking to Keith it is a lot of work going from the old to the new format. He is putting in a lot of hours to IAOC, and at the same time starting his own national magazine from scratch, Prewar Auto Notes. Everyone needs to give him a big THANK YOU when they see him. To help take some of the workload off Keith (and hopefully to keep him happy), Val and I will be doing the W&W mailing since the new printer is located in my area.

FYI, Keith corrected me, as it is issue #136.

Ron Green

Ed Price

_____

Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:33 AM
Changing

Ed Price;38726Perhaps said:
Guide to Trolls
<http://merchmerthyr.blogspot.com/2008/08/guide-to-trolls.html>

John:

I'm just trying to be nice. Nobody mentioned your name at all. In fact, I
don't understand why you brought up that troll subject, unless you feel that
anyone who disagrees with you should be labeled a troll. However, in the
future, please don't waste this list's resources with bloated graphics and
long, off-topic quotes about trolls. This is an Amphicar list, not a fantasy
forum.

Ed Price
El Cajon, CA USA
61 Rust Guppy

azpaul50

Haaay.... nobody said anything about trolls in this Amphi deal... next thing we'll have Viet Cong floating around? That's what happened to the U.S.S. Turner Joy in '65 (depending on whose account you believe)! All hands! GENERAL QUARTERS! BATTLE STATIONS! Marines, repell boarders! - azpaul50 of the Western Amphi Fleet!

To: azpaul50@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20167] Re: W&W Newsletter is ChangingDate: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:28:52 -0400From:

_____ From: CapnJohn [mailto:] Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:33 AMTo: edprice@cox.netSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20167] Re: W&W Newsletter isChanging
Ed Price;38726Perhaps said:
Guide to Trolls<http://merchmerthyr.blogspot.com/200...o-trolls.html> John:I'm just trying to be nice. Nobody mentioned your name at all. In fact, Idon't understand why you brought up that troll subject, unless you feel thatanyone who disagrees with you should be labeled a troll. However, in thefuture, please don't waste this list's resources with bloated graphics andlong, off-topic quotes about trolls. This is an Amphicar list, not a fantasyforum.Ed PriceEl Cajon, CA USA61 Rust Guppy

Glad to see, Ron, that you used A LITTLE LARGER TYPE HERE than your former note about the boating restrictions. Imagine, strapping a motor to a barrel. Why not take him to Niagra Falls so he can try to go over & get some REAL publicity?

Keith: A BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to wait 'til Celina to say it in person. I'd be glad to help in any way possible, just let me know if my services can be used for anything. One problem about our club is that we are all so far away from eachother. It's amazing that we can get so much accomplished with board members living hundreds of miles apart. Kudos to us all.

Ina (in the boro)
----- Original Message -----
To: ribcab@verizon.net
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:10 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20167] Re: W&W Newsletter is Changing

Ina,

I also have problems reading the current format. I believe they call that getting older?

I agree it is a welcome bit of news for a change. From speaking to Keith it is a lot of work going from the old to the new format. He is putting in a lot of hours to IAOC, and at the same time starting his own national magazine from scratch, Prewar Auto Notes. Everyone needs to give him a big THANK YOU when they see him. To help take some of the workload off Keith (and hopefully to keep him happy), Val and I will be doing the W&W mailing since the new printer is located in my area.

FYI, Keith corrected me, as it is issue #136.

Ron Green

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.169 / Virus Database: 270.6.21/1669 - Release Date: 9/12/2008 2:18 PM

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MAE Another Great Newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar WOW GREAT IAOC NEWSLETTER !!! General Amphicar Discussion 2
R W-n-W Newsletter Issue #141 General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar Another Outstanding Club Newsletter !!!! General Amphicar Discussion 4
Propcar50 Newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 0
R IAOC Newsletter / Roster / Info General Amphicar Discussion 24
D newsletter website forum General Amphicar Discussion 6
D Club Newsletter again a Club Member * after the Auction General Amphicar Discussion 1
A IAOC NEWSLETTER - GREAT JOB ED! General Amphicar Discussion 1
E January 2007 IAOC Newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Curious about Nov/Dec newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 7
A Wheels-N-Waves newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 1
A The May/June 2006 IAOC Newsletter... General Amphicar Discussion 4
M Newsletter name General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Newsletter Naming Contest General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Newsletter news General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Newsletter format General Amphicar Discussion 0
A 2006 IAOC Newsletter Poll General Amphicar Discussion 0
A IAOC Newsletter - DELAYED General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Please ad this to Newsletter Swim In Lake Geneva Illinois General Amphicar Discussion 1
A IAOC Newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 0
J Article on Jean-Paul Gagn? March/April Newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Newsletter & Familiar Looking Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Amphi newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 2
L Newsletter foto General Amphicar Discussion 1
P New Newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 0
B October 1967 Newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 0
S club newsletter 2004/Watercar General Amphicar Discussion 0
M what Amphicar newsletter? General Amphicar Discussion 0
T About our great Newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Start newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Club newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 4
A Club Newsletter & Board Election General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Newsletter General Amphicar Discussion 24