Update from Cap'n John

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
I am now back at the Rehab hospital to build my endurance and strength back. I should be here for up to a month. The second surgery re-attaching my bicep muscle appears to be successful and I am making good progress in therapy. It will be so nice when I am pain free. I can now at least use my right arm some. It's nice to be able to brush my hair with my right hand! It's the simple things that make every day better! I am in my manual wheelchair now so no more power wheelchair! WOO HOO!

For all those many good people who donated to me, I can't thank you enough! One day I will personally thank each and every one of you for your generosity (in time and money). It has made a significant difference in my situation more than you can know. It's great to have true friends I can count on!!!!

There is an Irish blessing that goes ...

"May there always be work for your hands to do, may your purse always hold a coin or two. May the sun always shine on your windowpane, may a rainbow be certain to follow each rain. May the hand of a friend always be near you, may God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you."

I dedicate this to each one of you with the utmost sincerity, appreciation and humbleness.

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Looks like I get to go home this Thursday! It's been a looooooong almost 6 months of extreme pain and rehab. My strength is returning slowly. I can now at least get in and out of bed and the shower by myself. I am still working on being able to get into my truck. I can do it once or twice before I run out of steam. I have pushed my chair for up to 4 miles for endurance. The pain is subsiding but still there. I have been told to expect the pain to remain for some time yet and it may never completely go away.

Once I get back to working (this weekend!) I have to be careful not to over exert myself and damage my shoulder or arm. I have to install a differential into my 59 Skyliner first so I can clear out a place for the next Amphi which should be out of the bodyshop soon. This will be a challange to do because I have to keep in my mind that I can re-injure myself easilly.

Now the rebuilding of my life starts. I have new openings for restorations. With all that went on and the economy, I lost 3+ years of restorations. I can start on the next one anytime so if you have one that your thinking of having done, now is a good time. The first one will get a significant discount!

Some may assume there is a "pot 'o gold" at the end of this. Nope, nada, nothing. I wasn't smart enough to get in a wreck with anyone with insurance (he also filed bankrupsy last year) so it's all on me. My biggest mistake was to not have ample insurance myself, it was my mistake and I have paid dearly for it. Everyone gets paid but me. The little money that was awarded was taken by the attorney (33%) and medicare (subrogated @ 67%) leaving me with the remaining 0% and the costs not covered by what insurance I had are still my responsibility. So my heartfelt advice to all of you is to look at your own policies. Sit down with your agent and go over your coverage!! Have a minimum of $300k uninsured motorist.

"Too late we learn, a man must hold his friend Unjudged, accepted, trusted to the end." - John Boyle O'Reilly

Again, I can not thank all of you enough who donated to me in any way!!! I have to find away to honor all who were there with a helping hand. For you to dig deep in these lean times for my benefit was and still is humbling. In times like this you quickly find out who your real friends are. With all that has happened in the last 6-7 months I am just happy to be alive and just maybe I can rebuild my life like I have done a couple times before.

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
As one whom knows what your going threw,,, but on a much smaller scale.
my heart is with you John,
Its been 4 months since I crashed my plane,and have a hard time working any long lenght of time yet,the leg drains energy fast and have to elivate it(sleep)..I had made sure I had accident insurance back when I was raising a family and have kept it up. as soon as I got home from the Hospital I called the company, and guess what.. if the accident ocurred in a air plane,NO INSURANCE,,so all I,ve had for income is the small amount of winter parts sales and we all know that drops to O in winters along with temps.
We have had some good long Phone talks that I have enjoyed alot, but here in FL. I only have a use as you go cell phone so have to be frugal on the calls,
Floating on Fl. lakes eases the aches
GORD SOUTER:003:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mike_israel Forum Software Update General Amphicar Discussion 1
mike_israel Celina Update from IAOC General Amphicar Discussion 1
mike_israel Celine Update #12 from IAOC General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Celina Swim-In Update General Amphicar Discussion 1
mike_israel Amphicar Forum - System Update Underway General Amphicar Discussion 1
E MICHIGAN SWIM-IN UPDATE General Amphicar Discussion 0
Cameron in UK Jim Nichols "death car" update. General Amphicar Discussion 5
mike_israel Update Your Profiles General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Update/correction to Lake Dora Swim-In Info General Amphicar Discussion 0
Ed Price Update On Celina Water Problems General Amphicar Discussion 3
S Lake Dora Update from Peter Fredsall General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Outage Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
R 2009 Evansville Indiana Swim In Update General Amphicar Discussion 2
S Lake Dora Update General Amphicar Discussion 1
S RE: Lake Dora UPDATE General Amphicar Discussion 6
mike_israel Happy New Year & Forum Update General Amphicar Discussion 1
J Cheap Gas Update~ by Zip Code ( Really Works ) General Amphicar Discussion 1
R Brake Question Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Speedometer Cable - Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
W fuel pump update General Amphicar Discussion 3
G door seal update General Amphicar Discussion 5
W running problem update General Amphicar Discussion 2
R Celina Update General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Sabula update General Amphicar Discussion 3
A San Diego Swim-in URGENT UPDATE!!! General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Call for Celina Pics & NPR Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
N Gord Souter Update General Amphicar Discussion 3
A amphicar.com siet problem update... General Amphicar Discussion 0
M List Move Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Update on Potential New Home for Amphicar List/Digest General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Amphi truck from cuba update General Amphicar Discussion 6
M Steve Behnke update General Amphicar Discussion 4
R Seattle Show Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Celina Lake Festival Update Link General Amphicar Discussion 0
E Puddingstone Swim-In update General Amphicar Discussion 0
N Mount Dora Update: General Amphicar Discussion 2
P Amphicar Nightmare Update / Clutch Problem in First Gear General Amphicar Discussion 2
D Tranny Update...So Far So Good! General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Tranny Update General Amphicar Discussion 5
D Cables Fifth annual swim in update General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Amphi Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
K Holland Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Carb Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
D web page update- Amphi Stretch- Another engine swap General Amphicar Discussion 0
P Insurance update General Amphicar Discussion 1
A AYA update & Celina General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Amphicar Update General Amphicar Discussion 3
D Swim In Update General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Transmission Bummer - Update General Amphicar Discussion 0