Undercoating on Fan Shroud

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Is there a reason that the Amphicar fan shroud is covered in a thin coat of undercoating? Is it to reduce vibration or?? I am in the process of stripping the shroud for restoration and wondering if I should recoat with a similar undercoating or just paint it?
Thanks,
Ted

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Is there a reason that the Amphicar fan shroud is covered in a thin coat of undercoating? Is it to reduce vibration or?? I am in the process of stripping the shroud for restoration and wondering if I should recoat with a similar undercoating or just paint it?
Thanks,
Ted

Ted - I would remove the old and reshoot the undercoating. It helps with sound deadening. If you are wanting to be "correct", it should be redone.

carnut1113

Ted, has anyone responded to your question? I just removed the fan shroud from my amphi (to replace the weatherstrip) and noticed the same undercoating.
I wonder if it is there to reduce the heat tranfer?
Please let me know if you get a response.
Jim

Tedredamphi <> wrote:
Thanks,
Ted

---------------------------------
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Ted, has anyone responded to your question? I just removed the fan shroud from my amphi (to replace the weatherstrip) and noticed the same undercoating. I wonder if it is there to reduce the heat tranfer? Please let me know if you get a response. Jim

Jim -
You posted a question asking if Ted got a response below my response. Did my responce not show on your screen? Just curious if something odd is happening.

The coating on the shroud helps keep the sound down. The sheet metal of the shroud can create a tin type of sound sometimes. I would re-coat for that reason.

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Jim,
John Bevis answered my question on the forum. The undercoating is to cut down on the vibration and the corresponding sound. It has nothing to do with heat.
Ted
----- Original Message -----
To: mattted@swbell.net
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:59 AM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19906] Undercoating on Fan Shroud

Ted, has anyone responded to your question? I just removed the fan shroud from my amphi (to replace the weatherstrip) and noticed the same undercoating.
I wonder if it is there to reduce the heat tranfer?
Please let me know if you get a response.
Jim

Tedredamphi <> wrote:
Thanks,
Ted

---------------------------------
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.