Umbrella Holder

azpaul50

It'll be withering hot but I'm thinking about taking my Amphi out to Martinez Lake (Yuma) for July 4th. Half of La Mesa, CA will also be there with their power boats! I've seen Amphis with the top down but also with a picnic table umbrella sticking up from the rear seat deck. I have a matching umbrella from my teadrop trailer and the top half fits great after unscrewing the lower half of the shaft. The umbrella bloom is quite large, tho, so it would be prone to lifting in even a small wind gust. It looks like I could put a large "U" clamp through and near the top of the rear seat bulkhead and possibly a RV table base on the deck. I doubt if I'd find a threaded base to match but maybe. This would 2-point the umbrella shaft for security somewhat but I worry that it would need more. Has anyone fashioned such an installation and has a better way? - AZP

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
JEFF, (NEAR ME )MAKES A UMBRELLA HOLDER that clamps on to the middle rear of front seat..Att. is a pic of mine on my blue car but Jeft are made to fit all amphicar seats as there are early and late modles there too!
If your car has seat belt holders we have fashioned a base to clip to them too.see inage 6039
to keep the umbrella from blowing when underway in water you can get some tarp clamps from the hardware store and they clip perfect into our top chome hooks on top of windshild. I will add a pictures ofIMG_6039.JPG this soon.
I have one in my hand the scan code has a web page...(www.homaxproducts.com)IMG_2737.JPG

Attachments

Bilgemaster

An umbrella stand, you say? Well take a drooling gander at this German-engineered Amphicar specialty item that one of our fellow web-toed motorists from the German 'Amphicar Club Berlin e.V.' laid on the Bilgemeister during his trip to Germany back in 2007. The design's fairly straightforward and bolts onto the forward wall below the passenger seat. The little lever near the foot of the tube tightens a throughbolt that holds the umbrella stand fast in the tube. The tube itself measures almost exactly 8 inches long, with an inner diameter of 1 inch. Those nuts are sort of spot-welded to the plates and the whole thing finished in a decent silver spray paint. Those guys really know what they're doing over there don't they? ~Bilgey

azpaul50

I have the same seat belt setup but notice in both examples that my umbrella is larger all the way around including the staff. It is a standard patio table umbrella with metal staff that unscrews into two pieces for storage. In other words, mine appears to be larger than those generally used by others. It looks like I first need a slightly smaller umbrella although I was trying to multi-purpose what I already have. The staff diameter of the one I have is way wider than either version on this thread. If you look at my Amphi pics elsewhere on the forum, you'll see my red patio umbrella also matches the red top of my Amphi. It is at the rear of my tear drop and shades the eating area off the left side. Let me first look for a smaller and lighter umbrella but it has to be solid red! This is one of the pitfalls of being OCD! So, are the seat belt type umbrella holders for sale? Take it easy on me Gord, I supporting Germany's vintage parts industry for Isettas right now and broke! - AZP

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Ron Trudeau In NH had some made up when he worked at a metal fabicating place(alu) but he is all out of them now.. From the pic you should be able to have one made locally and pipe can be any dia.
The ones Jeff makes up are $85.00 and he has a shim in it for smaller Umbrellas(he does allot of work to make the one that fit the seat up)
I have paid $6 to &10 for the smaller umbrellas and the clips are about $2.00
Att is the clip photo. you can see how the eye will fit right over the chrome top hook.
Micro cart meet here this weekend, Herbs bringing his Isseata in the back of his pickup truck.I,ll take my Metro but its not a Micro
Last year our group of about 13 Amphis dropped in there.
IMG_6042.JPG

azpaul50

Well.... looks like I won't make it out to the lake after all. The work has just piled up for the other cars. Anyway, happy Independence Day (even Gord when he's in Florida)!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SNOWBIRD Umbrella holders General Amphicar Discussion 2