Two Amphicars For Sale

Walter

I have inherited two barn find amphicars. They are both complete cars. Stored indoors for the last 40 plus years. I am looking to sell them. This is my first post. If you are interested in them or know someone who is, reply and we’ll go from there. I don’t need to sell them. I want to sell them. I know what I have. I’m not a newbie to collector cars.

Walter

I have inherited two barn find amphicars. They are both complete cars. Stored indoors for the last 40 plus years. I am looking to sell them. This is my first post. If you are interested in them or know someone who is, reply and we’ll go from there. I don’t need to sell them. I want to sell them. I know what I have. I’m not a newbie to collector cars.
Wisconsin

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Details and photos are key. You may know what you have but nobody else does. Some "barn finds" in recent years included essentially zero mile cars with factory instruction tags stull attached. Is that what you have .The barn find I looked at was sunk into the mud for 20 years with a siezed transmission. Is that what you have? Amphicars have increased in value over the years for the good ones .others have languished as the cost of parts and labor to restore can quickly exceed value of car. GLWS.

Walter

Details and photos are key. You may know what you have but nobody else does. Some "barn finds" in recent years included essentially zero mile cars with factory instruction tags stull attached. Is that what you have .The barn find I looked at was sunk into the mud for 20 years with a siezed transmission. Is that what you have? Amphicars have increased in value over the years for the good ones .others have languished as the cost of parts and labor to restore can quickly exceed value of car. GLWS.
I will send pictures to anyone who has interest.

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Nothing against Walter but, as admin / owner of the site, I am very protective of members. While offerings are usually legitimate, we have seen scammers use these forums for ill purposes.

Thus, usual caveats apply when any new user posts offerings with limited information (photos, details, etc). The Amphicar community is pretty small so it is unusual, though not impossible, for cars to appear where nobody has knowledge of the vehicle or their current / prior owners.

Proceed with caution. If it appears too good to be true it probably is. If you are asked to send a deposit right away, red flag. If you cant make arrangements to see the vehicle, red flag. If you are asked to wire money, red flag. If you can't get detailed pictures, VIN numbers, etc. then red flag. (Hugh Gordon used to ask people to send pics which included a current dated newspaper in the photo).

Remember, there are members of this forum located all over the USA, usually you will find someone willing to go check out a potential purchase on your behalf. I have done so for others. Ted Matthews did an awesome pre-sale inspection on my Porsche 914 way back in 2010.

Walter

Mike I was not allowed by the site to post a reply or pics for a while after my first post. I quit trying. Went on vacation and just tried again, successfully.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Everyone knows me.. I am in the Business of restoring these cars and making and selling parts.
What you have.. are ROUGH.. I wILL cost as much to restore them as buying a turn key car so do not think they are 20 thou cars.
one is a parts car for the blue one.
I just finished the mechanical on the white car in pic.. He bought it for about 5000.00(and it ran and drove,He got a good deal,John Derwatr's 007.JPG John Derwatr's 004.JPG ) and spent another 5000 to get mechanical back in shape(and it had a rebuilt trany,,by me many years ago)

John Derwatr's 005.JPG

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Those are nice original early cars. Both still have prop tunnels (metal between prop and oil pan on outside) that Amphicar removed after a year or so as it made the cars more difficult to turn on water.
Blue car (which was white of course) doesn't have bilge blower so is either really early or came via Canada.
Be good to see them floating again.