True restoration

D

David Derer

Even if You start with a nice complete car. To restore it to as new
factory specs is nearly impossible. Even when all parts are available
the desire to over restore, or make better than new takes hold. Another
side of this saga which has not been discussed is self protection.
Certain suppliers have sold parts as Amphicar parts that were not. So
the supplier has no desire to get into discussion of "correctness" nor
does the owner. Also as time marches on, some Amphicar only parts are
extinct or close to it. Some because they were not too good to start
with, like bilge pump switch, even the bilge pump itself. So to restore
a car "properly" You have to pay (sometimes) large sums for a part You
yourself would rather not use. It was surprising how many people made
fun of Me using the term restofied. This to Me is an excellent term
accurately describing 95% of the Amphicars alive! In the cars I rescue,
I prefer to stay within reasonable original guidelines. All the cars I
have done were for Owners that planned on using them. So any upgrades
from Original that make the car safer, more fun or easy to use are ok in
My book. And then I have no problem with saying restored to original
except for ......Luckily for Me I found a handwritten note saying the
Factory upgraded My car with a prototype 1300 with a new fangeled
"tubeless" ignitor ignition. Some cars deserve to stay Original. Later
Dave the wish I had a running Amphicar Wave

D

David Derer

Even if You start with a nice complete car. To restore it to as new
factory specs is nearly impossible. Even when all parts are available
the desire to over restore, or make better than new takes hold. Another
side of this saga which has not been discussed is self protection.
Certain suppliers have sold parts as Amphicar parts that were not. So
the supplier has no desire to get into discussion of "correctness" nor
does the owner. Also as time marches on, some Amphicar only parts are
extinct or close to it. Some because they were not too good to start
with, like bilge pump switch, even the bilge pump itself. So to restore
a car "properly" You have to pay (sometimes) large sums for a part You
yourself would rather not use. It was surprising how many people made
fun of Me using the term restofied. This to Me is an excellent term
accurately describing 95% of the Amphicars alive! In the cars I rescue,
I prefer to stay within reasonable original guidelines. All the cars I
have done were for Owners that planned on using them. So any upgrades
from Original that make the car safer, more fun or easy to use are ok in
My book. And then I have no problem with saying restored to original
except for ......Luckily for Me I found a handwritten note saying the
Factory upgraded My car with a prototype 1300 with a new fangeled
"tubeless" ignitor ignition. Some cars deserve to stay Original. Later
Dave the wish I had a running Amphicar Wave

M

Mike Israel

<table><div style="font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:12pt"><div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">I've gotta go with Dave on this one.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">It is one thing to intentionally mislead a buyer. At the same time, remember the story of the guy with the restored Duesenberg (I think) about two years ago. He did a full and complete restoration. It was "Unmodified" which meant no seatbelts. Took his family for a test drive within days of completeing the work.They rolled or got hit and they all died.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">When you are advertising on somewhere like eBay, the term "frame off restoration" may not be technically correct but is easily enough understood by anyone. The term "modified" would not make any sense for a high quality restoration. To most people "modified" conjurs up a lowered rice-burner with neon lighting, silly exhaust, goofy wheels, ugly paint job, etc.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">Sure, it is not appropriate toclaim that substitute or repro parts are NOS. But on my Amphi I'll still take a steering box brace, seat belts, radial tires, and an aftermarket bilge pump. Of course anything other than original factory paint should not be acceptable. To spare owners the indignity of being seen in such abominations, anyAmphi that has been "modified" withnon-NOS paint oreven door sealsmust be immediately sold to me for no more than $3,000.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">Mike

M

Mike Israel

<table><div style="font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:12pt"><div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">I've gotta go with Dave on this one.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">It is one thing to intentionally mislead a buyer. At the same time, remember the story of the guy with the restored Duesenberg (I think) about two years ago. He did a full and complete restoration. It was "Unmodified" which meant no seatbelts. Took his family for a test drive within days of completeing the work.They rolled or got hit and they all died.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">When you are advertising on somewhere like eBay, the term "frame off restoration" may not be technically correct but is easily enough understood by anyone. The term "modified" would not make any sense for a high quality restoration. To most people "modified" conjurs up a lowered rice-burner with neon lighting, silly exhaust, goofy wheels, ugly paint job, etc.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">Sure, it is not appropriate toclaim that substitute or repro parts are NOS. But on my Amphi I'll still take a steering box brace, seat belts, radial tires, and an aftermarket bilge pump. Of course anything other than original factory paint should not be acceptable. To spare owners the indignity of being seen in such abominations, anyAmphi that has been "modified" withnon-NOS paint oreven door sealsmust be immediately sold to me for no more than $3,000.
<div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">Mike

L

lah20car@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 4/20/2007 3:15:24 PM Central Daylight Time, amphicar770@yahoo.com writes:

<blockquote TYPE="CITE" style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">silly exhaust, goofy wheels, ugly paint job,</blockquote>

Hey, I resemble that remark----- it adds character</font>

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

L

lah20car@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 4/20/2007 3:15:24 PM Central Daylight Time, amphicar770@yahoo.com writes:

<blockquote TYPE="CITE" style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">silly exhaust, goofy wheels, ugly paint job,</blockquote>

Hey, I resemble that remark----- it adds character</font>

L

lah20car@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 4/20/2007 1:47:52 PM Central Daylight Time, dmd@essex1.com writes:

<blockquote TYPE="CITE" style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I had a running Amphicar Wave</blockquote>

On another point---Is it amphibious if the wheels are touching the bottom

</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="4" PTSIZE="14" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">FULL DEPTH AMPHIBIOUS USE - 3 BILGE PUMPS</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="3" PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

eBay Motors: DRAGOON PATROLLER II - LIGHT ARMORED VEHICLE (item 260110481409 e

</font>

L

lah20car@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 4/20/2007 1:47:52 PM Central Daylight Time, dmd@essex1.com writes:

<blockquote TYPE="CITE" style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I had a running Amphicar Wave</blockquote>

</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="4" PTSIZE="14" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">FULL DEPTH AMPHIBIOUS USE - 3 BILGE PUMPS</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="3" PTSIZE="12" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

</font><font COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">

</font>

M

moreau231@aol.com

<table>
Please change<span contentEditable="false" style="DISPLAY: inline-block"></span>my e-mail address to Moreau231@bellsouth.net Thank You Jack Moreau "GATRB8T"

-----Original Message-----

To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 9:33 AM

Subject: Re: [amphicar-lovers] True restoration

<div id="AOLMsgPart_2_f80f7687-5e1c-430e-99d0-9f80fb649fde">
<div id="ygrp-mlmsg" style="WIDTH: 655px; POSITION: relative">
<div id="ygrp-msg" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 15px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; Z-INDEX: 1; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; WIDTH: 490px; PADDING-TOP: 0px">
<div id="ygrp-text">
<font face="arial,helvetica"><font lang="0" face="Arial" size="2">In a message dated 4/20/2007 1:47:52 PM Central Daylight Time, dmd@essex1.com writes:

<blockquote style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid" TYPE="CITE">I had a running Amphicar Wave</blockquote>

</font><font lang="0" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="4">FULL DEPTH AMPHIBIOUS USE - 3 BILGE PUMPS</font><font lang="0" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="3">

</font><font lang="0" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">

</font>

************<wbr>*********<wbr>*********<wbr>********

See what's free at http://www.aol.<wbr>com. </font>

<span style="COLOR: white" width="1"></span>

<div class="AOLPromoFooter">
<hr style="margin-top:10px;"></hr>
AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.
</br>

M

moreau231@aol.com

<table>
Please change<span contentEditable="false" style="DISPLAY: inline-block"></span>my e-mail address to Moreau231@bellsouth.net Thank You Jack Moreau "GATRB8T"

-----Original Message-----

To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 9:33 AM

Subject: Re: [amphicar-lovers] True restoration

<div id="AOLMsgPart_2_f80f7687-5e1c-430e-99d0-9f80fb649fde">
<div id="ygrp-mlmsg" style="WIDTH: 655px; POSITION: relative">
<div id="ygrp-msg" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 15px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; Z-INDEX: 1; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; WIDTH: 490px; PADDING-TOP: 0px">
<div id="ygrp-text">
<font face="arial,helvetica"><font lang="0" face="Arial" size="2">In a message dated 4/20/2007 1:47:52 PM Central Daylight Time, dmd@essex1.com writes:

<blockquote style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid" TYPE="CITE">I had a running Amphicar Wave</blockquote>

</font><font lang="0" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="4">FULL DEPTH AMPHIBIOUS USE - 3 BILGE PUMPS</font><font lang="0" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="3">

</font><font lang="0" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">

</font>

************<wbr>*********<wbr>*********<wbr>********

See what's free at http://www.aol.<wbr>com. </font>

<span style="COLOR: white" width="1"></span>

<div class="AOLPromoFooter">
<hr style="margin-top:10px;"></hr>
AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.
</br>

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Midwest Amphicar A true search and rescue General Amphicar Discussion 2
K Fw: True story General Amphicar Discussion 4
D I diss agree from a true purist General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Forwarded Just in Time for Last Minute Maintenance: True Tool Descriptions General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Unbelievable, but true! General Amphicar Discussion 0
M A True Ebay Story. General Amphicar Discussion 1
S A true Amphibious adventure! General Amphicar Discussion 3
M A true Amphicar story... General Amphicar Discussion 0
RalphF Georgia Amphi Restoration Restorations in progress 6
B First post Info on Restoration General Amphicar Discussion 8
A Restoration begins here! Restorations in progress 3
E The restoration begins General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Restoration - What's it cost? General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel McPherson College Auto restoration Workshops 2014 Schedule General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel McPhearson College Auto Restoration Workshops General Amphicar Discussion 0
V Metal Fabrication,Migg Welding,Restoration Work 20.00 hr plus materials General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar The Allure the perfect restoration plan Restorations in progress 3
Akamphi Forum for restoration threads General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Amphicar restoration on National Geographic TV General Amphicar Discussion 0
DavidC Amphicar restoration on National Geographic TV General Amphicar Discussion 17
Ed Howard Ed Howard Amphicar Restoration complete General Amphicar Discussion 10
T Fuel Tank Restoration General Amphicar Discussion 3
B Restoration time/Gord Souter/Reserve tank? General Amphicar Discussion 1
A How long did your restoration take? General Amphicar Discussion 1
C Photos and restoration advise... General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Horn button restoration - Sabula getting bigger- fabulous fins General Amphicar Discussion 0
C New restoration project begins General Amphicar Discussion 4
M Restoration Costs General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Amphi going into restoration General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Midwest Amphi restoration General Amphicar Discussion 0
W Restoration Philosophy General Amphicar Discussion 1
R restoration project General Amphicar Discussion 3
D Great Son -Museum/restoration help wanted General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Restoration pictures General Amphicar Discussion 2
J amphicar restoration General Amphicar Discussion 4
S Tucson Restoration General Amphicar Discussion 0
T 1968 Red Amphicar restoration starts today General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Restoration Estimate General Amphicar Discussion 0