Transmissions

W

wcapron2001

Is anyone actively rebuilding Amphicar transmissions? I have one that
came with my Blue 64 but do to the blue silicone sealer on the
differential cover and the fact that I couldnt shift it I purchased a
new one from Gordon's back when they were affordable.
I would be interested in paying some one who has done this before
to rebuild my core so that I could have a spare on hand.
Bill Capron

P

paul.j.rasmussen@GM.com

There is a guy in the German Club who rebuilds them (has done over 200 of
them).

You would have to ship it over to Germany and back but might be worth it.

He replaces everything that needs to be replaced. I think I remember him
saying most people get around 30,000 miles out of a rebuilt one (but don't
quote me on that - I know he has done some the German Club members'
transmissions more than once due the number of miles put on- hence, the 200
number of rebuilds).

I am not sure he does transmissions for those outside the German Club but I
could ask if he was interested.

PJR

A

Allan Woodcock

Theo Sahli in Newport Beach CA does the Amphicar transmissions. He does
an excellent job and has a good working relationship with Hugh Gordon
for parts. He did the tranny in my car and it is verty very quiet and
shifts smoothly. Theo is an ASE Master mechanic and restores fine
European automobiles. Phone: (949) 515 0989. Theosauto@aol.com.
Allan
'66 Red

T

tazman3115@aol.com

<font FACE="arial,helvetica"><font SIZE="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">As many of you have already heard "Bad Luck Chuck" had transmission problems just before the Orillia meet. The clutch would not disengage. Many people helped with the diagnosis. Ultimately the trans came out (with a lot of difficulty) as the input shaft rusted to the clutch disc. Reassembly was very eventful as expected too. That black cloud keeps following me. I sheared off several pressure plate bolts that necessitated the removal of clutch and flywheel, drill out bolts and reassemble again. This job is going on 1 week now. Finally got it all back together yesterday and found one of the propshaft joints is stiff, dry and falling apart. What's next???

Anyway the long and short of it is that per Dave , it is recommended that the input shaft have a very light smear of waterproof lube applied to prevent this sort of problem from happening again. Gord Souter says there is a marine product out there just for coating the splined shafts. So.... next time that engine or trans comes out LIGHTLY lube that prone to rust trans input shaft. ALSO.... don't do what I did

after the last swim in, leave the bilge plug in. I only had about 2 gallons in the bilge

but after 2 weeks the cluth rusted. Coincidence? Do not know but always allow

as much water out as you can so the clutch area in the bilge in not subject to a high humidity condition. You do not want to learn the hard way. See ya all in Celina.

Bad luck Chuck</font>

W

WB6WSN

RE: Re: Transmissions

<table><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4"></font>

<blockquote style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2">From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lah20car@aol.com
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 4:50 AM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [amphicar-lovers] Re: Engine
</font>

<tt><font face="arial,helvetica"><font lang="0" face="Arial" size="2" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" PTSIZE="10">In a message dated 3/31/2006 5:49:06 AM Central Standard Time, injuneer2003@yahoo.com writes:

<blockquote style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" TYPE="CITE">These are porsche transmissions</blockquote>

Hmmmmm---??????
Fact or Fiction</font></tt></font>

F

F M

RE: Re: Transmissions

Maybe I should clarify, The mechanic who works on my Porsche made a statement to me that the transmission in my Amphicar is just like the one in my porsche. This prompted my statement about it being a porsche transmisson.

WB6WSN <wb6wsn@cox.net> wrote: <blockquote class="replbq" style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"> <tt><font face="Century Schoolbook" color="#0000ff" size="4"></font>
<blockquote style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <div class="OutlookMessageHeader" lang="en-us" dir="ltr" align="left"><font face="Tahoma" size="2">From: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lah20car@aol.com
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 4:50 AM
To: amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [amphicar-lovers] Re: Engine
</font>
<tt><font face="arial,helvetica"><font lang="0" face="Arial" size="2" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF">In a message dated 3/31/2006 5:49:06 AM Central Standard Time, injuneer2003@yahoo.com writes:

<blockquote style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" TYPE="CITE">These are porsche transmissions</blockquote>

Hmmmmm---??????
Fact or Fiction</font></tt></font></tt> </blockquote>
</blockquote>

<hr size="1">Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.