Tranny Gear Lube Removal

M

Marc Schlemmer

Guest
What does everybody use to get the gear lube out of the tranny? (without
pulling the plugs)

I've always used a simple suction gun (looks like a grease gun) to pull out
a little at a time. It has always been slow and frustrating, but it has
worked. The last time I used it, it was no longer "sucking" so I need to
either get a new one, or hopefully something better!

Any good suggestions?

I seem to remember some people throwing out some suggestions years ago...but
I couldn't seem to find a mention of it in the archives.

thanks,
Marc Schlemmer.
 
R

rdboggie@comcast.net

Guest
<table>
Mark,
In the file section of Amphicar-lovers is a picture of a simple homemade suction device. I've tried to attach a copy here. The diagram shows a 3/16" tube, but you can use any size that is appropriate to your needs.

Randy

<blockquote style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">-------------- Original message --------------

>
> What does everybody use to get the gear lube out of the tranny? (without
> pulling the plugs)
>
> I've always used a simple suction gun (looks like a grease gun) to pull out
> a little at a time. It has always been slow and frustrating, but it has
> worked. The last time I used it, it was no longer "sucking" so I need to
> either get a new one, or hopefully something better!
>
> Any good suggestions?
>
> I seem to remember some people throwing out some suggestions years ago...but
> I couldn't seem to find a mention of it in the archives.
>
> thanks,
> Marc Schlemmer.
>
>
>
> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
> Give the gift of life to a sick child.
> Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/xiTolB/TM
> --------------------------------------------------------------------~->
>
> THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Before posting requests for information, please check the List
> Archives:
> http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
> For more information about this List and other available services
> visit:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
> To Unsubscribe from this List, just send a blank email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> Any other issues may be addressed to the List owner (Mike Israel) at:
> amphicar770@yahoo.com
> This list is provided as a free service. Please support our sponsors at:
> http://www.growerflower.com/default.asp?id=41762
>
> When insuring your Amphicar do not settle for anything less than the very best
> coverage available. Visit Hagerty Collector Car Insurance today at
> http://www.hagerty.com
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
>
> <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>
>
> </blockquote>
</td></tr>
Attachment: (application/msword) vacuum diagram.doc [not stored]
 
R

rdboggie@comcast.net

Guest
<table>
PS: Use tape to seal the vacuum hose and suction hose.

R.

<blockquote style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">-------------- Original message --------------

>
> What does everybody use to get the gear lube out of the tranny? (without
> pulling the plugs)
>
> I've always used a simple suction gun (looks like a grease gun) to pull out
> a little at a time. It has always been slow and frustrating, but it has
> worked. The last time I used it, it was no longer "sucking" so I need to
> either get a new one, or hopefully something better!
>
> Any good suggestions?
>
> I seem to remember some people throwing out some suggestions years ago...but
> I couldn't seem to find a mention of it in the archives.
>
> thanks,
> Marc Schlemmer.
>
>
>
> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
> Give the gift of life to a sick child.
> Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/xiTolB/TM
> --------------------------------------------------------------------~->
>
> THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Before posting requests for information, please check the List
> Archives:
> http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
> For more information about this List and other available services
> visit:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
> To Unsubscribe from this List, just send a blank email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> Any other issues may be addressed to the List owner (Mike Israel) at:
> amphicar770@yahoo.com
> This list is provided as a free service. Please support our sponsors at:
> http://www.growerflower.com/default.asp?id=41762
>
> When insuring your Amphicar do not settle for anything less than the very best
> coverage available. Visit Hagerty Collector Car Insurance today at
> http://www.hagerty.com
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
>
> <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>
>
> </blockquote>
 
B

Bill Connelly

Guest
<table bgColor="#c8e0d8">
<font size="2">Dearest El Presidente Emeritus:</font>
<font size="2"></font>
<font size="2">OK...Maybe I overdo it with the lubricants fetish, but most years I use a cheesy sort of $6 orange and black hand fluid pump found in most auto supplies jointsto suckout the old gear oil as part of my regular annual winterization. Depending on how it looks coming out, some years I willdo thatwrist-of-a-circus-squirrel-monkey thing and pull both plugs. With the pump though, once the flow starts it sort of siphons out.Frankly though,This rig from Whitney may be better.</font>
<font size="2"></font>
<font size="2">~Bilgey~</font>
<blockquote style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<div style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black">From: Marc Schlemmer
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">To: Amphicar Digest
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:18 PM
<div style="FONT: 10pt arial">Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Tranny gear lube removal

<tt>What does everybody use to get the gear lube out of the tranny? (without
pulling the plugs)

I've always used a simple suction gun (looks like a grease gun) to pull out
a little at a time. It has always been slow and frustrating, but it has
worked. The last time I used it, it was no longer "sucking" so I need to
either get a new one, or hopefully something better!

Any good suggestions?

I seem to remember some people throwing out some suggestions years ago...but
I couldn't seem to find a mention of it in the archives.

thanks,
Marc Schlemmer.

</tt>

<tt>THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Before posting requests for information, please check the List
Archives:
http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
For more information about this List and other available services
visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
To Unsubscribe from this List, just send a blank email to:
amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Any other issues may be addressed to the List owner (Mike Israel) at:
amphicar770@yahoo.com
This list is provided as a free service. Please support our sponsors at:
http://www.growerflower.com/default.asp?id=41762

When insuring your Amphicar do not settle for anything less than the very best coverage available. Visit Hagerty Collector Car Insurance today at
http://www.hagerty.com


</tt>
 
L

Larry & Nancy Solheim

Guest
I've had Bilgey's JC Whitney 12v pump for years, Marc,
and it handles the 90w just as well as the standard
engine oils -- except, of course, when the outlet hose
slips OUT of the coffee can or milk jug collector.
(Yes, electrically pumped oil is just as messy to
clean up as hand-spilled oil, although it certainly
keeps coming!!)

--Larry

--- Bill Connelly <billiam@erols.com> wrote:
> Dearest El Presidente Emeritus:
>
> OK...Maybe I overdo it with the lubricants fetish,
> but most years I use a cheesy sort of $6 orange and
> black hand fluid pump found in most auto supplies
> joints to suck out the old gear oil as part of my
> regular annual winterization. Depending on how it
> looks coming out, some years I will do that
> wrist-of-a-circus-squirrel-monkey thing and pull
> both plugs. With the pump though, once the flow
> starts it sort of siphons out. Frankly though, This
> rig from Whitney may be better.
>
> ~Bilgey~
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Marc Schlemmer
> To: Amphicar Digest
> Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:18 PM
> Subject: [amphicar-lovers] Tranny gear lube
> removal
>
>
> What does everybody use to get the gear lube out
> of the tranny? (without
> pulling the plugs)
>
> I've always used a simple suction gun (looks like
> a grease gun) to pull out
> a little at a time. It has always been slow and
> frustrating, but it has
> worked. The last time I used it, it was no longer
> "sucking" so I need to
> either get a new one, or hopefully something
> better!
>
> Any good suggestions?
>
> I seem to remember some people throwing out some
> suggestions years ago...but
> I couldn't seem to find a mention of it in the
> archives.
>
> thanks,
> Marc Schlemmer.
>
>
>
> THE AMPHICAR-LOVERS LIST
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Before posting requests for information, please
> check the List
> Archives:
>
>
http://www.escribe.com/automotive/amphicar/search.html
> For more information about this List and other
> available services
> visit:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
> To Unsubscribe from this List, just send a blank
> email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> Any other issues may be addressed to the List
> owner (Mike Israel) at:
> amphicar770@yahoo.com
> This list is provided as a free service. Please
> support our sponsors at:
> http://www.growerflower.com/default.asp?id=41762
>
> When insuring your Amphicar do not settle for
> anything less than the very best coverage available.
> Visit Hagerty Collector Car Insurance today at
> http://www.hagerty.com
>
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> ADVERTISEMENT
>
>
>
>
>
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amphicar-lovers/
>
> b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an
> email to:
> amphicar-lovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> Yahoo! Terms of Service.
>
>




__________________________________
Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web
http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/
 
A

Arnold Hite

Guest
Marc,

I see there are already a lot of postings about gear lube removal
systems. Here is my two cents worth. As a longtime owner of a ski boat
with an inboard/outboard engine, pumping out engine oil has been a
springtime chore for many years. First I used a small pump that
attached to an electric drill. It worked for three years before it
begin to lose the ability to self prime. That is, it could no longer
draw the oil up through the narrow tube if the pump was dry. For a
couple years more I would prime the pump with a new can of engine oil
and then stick the hose down into the engine. After a few messy years
of that I purchased an electric pump that attached to the battery post
for power. This pump costs a good bit more but didn't last any longer.
Both of these pumps were so loud that I would wear ear plugs while
operating them. About four years ago I purchased a hand suction device
for about $50 from a maritime store. The type I have is about 2 ft tall
and 8 inches in diameter. A few pumps on the handle creates enough
suction to easily pump out the Amphi's gear oil. Plus it is much easier
to clean and store from spring to spring. I use it on two boats and an
Amphi every year. Now that I'm about to purchase a sailboat with a
small diesel engine I suppose I will be using it even more.

Arnold


>Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:18:18 -0500
> From: "Marc Schlemmer" <mschlem@InsightBB.com>
>Subject: Tranny gear lube removal
>
>What does everybody use to get the gear lube out of the tranny? (without
>pulling the plugs)
>
>I've always used a simple suction gun (looks like a grease gun) to pull out
>a little at a time. It has always been slow and frustrating, but it has
>worked. The last time I used it, it was no longer "sucking" so I need to
>either get a new one, or hopefully something better!
>
>Any good suggestions?
>
>I seem to remember some people throwing out some suggestions years ago...but
>I couldn't seem to find a mention of it in the archives.
>
>thanks,
>Marc Schlemmer.
>
>
>
>
>
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Tranny gear oil General Amphicar Discussion 4
B Water/land tranny seal Restorations in progress 15
Jon March do new motor & tranny mounts affect motor height/fan shroud alignment? General Amphicar Discussion 11
B Tranny leak cured, onto the brakes General Amphicar Discussion 4
kdroy Amphicar tranny land/water tear apart. General Amphicar Discussion 0
D N.O.S Tranny Wanted General Amphicar Discussion 0
J Land Tranny Leaks General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Lucas Oil Additives in Tranny, Etc. General Amphicar Discussion 0
M NOS Tranny - Maybe For Sale General Amphicar Discussion 3
G tranny seals General Amphicar Discussion 11
J Water Tranny Problem General Amphicar Discussion 1
G Tranny Out! General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Water tranny bearings General Amphicar Discussion 0
J Tranny Fluid General Amphicar Discussion 0
R rebuilt engine and tranny General Amphicar Discussion 0
K Tranny for sale General Amphicar Discussion 0
K Rebuilt tranny for sale General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Tranny Install ??? General Amphicar Discussion 3
R motor and tranny General Amphicar Discussion 1
K Axle sliipiing out of tranny General Amphicar Discussion 0
R tranny oil General Amphicar Discussion 0
E The new tranny is here! General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Tranny Update...So Far So Good! General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Tranny Update General Amphicar Discussion 5
D Tranny Repair General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Tranny Help Needed General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Rear Axle Tunnel To Tranny Boots General Amphicar Discussion 3
S tranny mounts General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Tranny Question (615) General Amphicar Discussion 2
B Water Tranny Question General Amphicar Discussion 2
S Extra Tranny General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Water Tranny Test General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Water Tranny General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Water tranny help needed General Amphicar Discussion 2
M Need help with water tranny General Amphicar Discussion 2
M Water tranny going back together General Amphicar Discussion 0
M tranny General Amphicar Discussion 9
M Water tranny gears General Amphicar Discussion 0
M water tranny cover off General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Water tranny trouble General Amphicar Discussion 2
B weights & tranny General Amphicar Discussion 5
Jon March Taller gear possibility? General Amphicar Discussion 8
mschlem Non-synthetic gear lube General Amphicar Discussion 4
Jon March Water trans drive gear retainer clips: General Amphicar Discussion 7
okey0 What gear lube? General Amphicar Discussion 3
dutchamphi Window crank regulator gear General Amphicar Discussion 8
dutchamphi Gear Oil General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Third Gear General Amphicar Discussion 4
R 3rd Gear Clunk General Amphicar Discussion 5
S Gear Shift Return Spring General Amphicar Discussion 5
Similar threads


















































Top