Tips...

A

a_colo_native

Guest
I believe it was Wayne who posted some of his tips. One I tried with
much success is to floor the accel pedal as you turn it off, then
locking the hand throttle wide open. I have made it a habit now. It
worked in 102degree heat with the car sitting on a beach pointing
uphill. She started right up with only minimal loading up. Thanks!!!!

John
<{{{=<
 
M

Marty & Caryl

Guest
--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, "a_colo_native" <minnow@a...>
wrote:
>...snip 8<...floor the accel pedal as you turn it off, then
> locking the hand throttle wide open. She started right up with
only minimal loading up. Thanks!!!!
> John
> <{{{=<

What was the idea behind doing this?
Marty in WI
 
W

wayne miller

Guest
Thanks, John, for the first response to
my "Tips".

Please note, the only time this throttle locking
isn't effective is trying to start back up 5-10
minutes after shutdown. If you were to look down
the carb at this time, the throat looks like the
swamp on a cold night.


Wayne A. Miller
 
W

wayne miller

Guest
Re: Re: Tips...

Marty,

I observed that, after shutting down, the temp
in the engine compartment was so hot, the gas
left in the bowl boiled out. You can listen to
it perking. This fuel ends up in the intake
manifold creating a flooded condition.

By locking opening the throttle after shutdown,
sure,you squirt a shot of the fuel in the bowl
down the throat (it's going to boil off and end
up down there anyway). If you lock the throttle
open, it allows the stuff an escape to reverse
the flooding.

Hope this helps from Wayne in Northern Michigan.


Wayne A. Miller
 
M

Marty & Caryl

Guest
--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, "wayne miller" <WAM@s...>
wrote:
> Marty,
>
> I observed that, after shutting down, the temp
> in the engine compartment was so hot, the gas
> left in the bowl boiled out. You can listen to
> it perking. This fuel ends up in the intake
> manifold creating a flooded condition.
>
> By locking opening the throttle after shutdown,
> sure,you squirt a shot of the fuel in the bowl
> down the throat (it's going to boil off and end
> up down there anyway). If you lock the throttle
> open, it allows the stuff an escape to reverse
> the flooding.
>
> Hope this helps from Wayne in Northern Michigan.
>

Wayne:
Could this be why our car doesn't always start right up when we shut
it off after a few minutes such as getting gas?
Marty
>
> Wayne A. Miller
 
W

wayne miller

Guest
Re: Re: Tips...

YEP!

If I stop for gas or a gallon of milk or
something, I usually keep the engine running.

Shut it off and lock the throttle open and you
always have a headstart on restarting, although
not as effective if only shut down for 10-15
mins.

When you come back to restart, keep the throttle
wide open until it starts, then quickly release.




Wayne A. Miller
 
A

a_colo_native

Guest
> >...snip 8<...floor the accel pedal as you turn it off, then
> > locking the hand throttle wide open. She started right up with
> only minimal loading up. Thanks!!!!
> > John
> > <{{{=<
>
> What was the idea behind doing this?
> Marty in WI

Marty,

This opens up the throat of the carb allowing it to dry out so it
will start a bit easier when it's hot. It works great!

John
<{{{=<
 
Top