Tip on how to test an amphicar for leaks

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
The fun is back in the Amphi World! Where is Arnold Hites pic in the pool? This could become the cool pool thread.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Nope wont work... no waves to spach on rear,, the last car I took to lake, the waves hit the rear and water came in around rear tail lights(owner installed Gordon Import replacements, anyone else have trouble trying to get lens to fit.. yeuckkkkk)
same goes for front,, do a Ron T splash in lake to test for front hood leaks.
Great Pic. thou.
I just might buy a pool just to do that..
I live very close to a few lakes with great sany shallow aproches, I go out till car is just about to float with no rear hood or rear interior and inspect. then I jump out of car and look all over, open front hood etc, when satisfied,, I give it a good test spin.. Peope in area see different coloured cars almost weekly. must confuse them.. one guy in a car followed me (stayed on Land) and yelled out are you all right, as car was not moving and Im over the engine area>>

John Howland

New taillight seals are terrible! They look the way they should but try to put them on. I sent back 2 sets and replacement I got were just as bad. They arent big enough and dont stretch enough to go around entire lens chrome ring.

jfriese

Hi Guys,

This is a materials issue from a provider to Gordon's. I ran into this some time ago and complained to Gordon's. The plastic/rubber that was used has shrunk too much to use. If I recall this was a problem with the white/gray ones and I switched them for the black ones, which were of a more recent production, and they fit okay. I compared the non-fitting one with an original NOS Amphicar one and it was nowhere close to the original size. Problems like these are all too common when dealing with reproduction rubber parts. I suspect that those shrunken ones were fine when they were first produced but the material dried and shrank while in stock. I only wish Hugh would act on such complaints more promptly and not put more people through this struggle. Call Gordon's and talk to Scott. I'm sure he'll remember the complaining I did, about a year and a half ago, and will switch them for something that works, but you might have to change the color to get ones that fit.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

chapron67

I heard that you can just put hose in the back and 'fill'er up' and see if anything leaks 'out'! No?

PS .... LOVE that photo though!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B door seal test Restorations in progress 1
D windshield wiper motor bench test General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel Test Message General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel '59 Chevy vs. '09 Chevy Crash Test General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel Test Message - Posting New Thread General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Test Message #2 - Ignore General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Wow what a test General Amphicar Discussion 0
R float test General Amphicar Discussion 4
B Water Test #6 General Amphicar Discussion 1
D River Test General Amphicar Discussion 0
Akamphi Just a test... General Amphicar Discussion 0
K coil test General Amphicar Discussion 0
K generator test General Amphicar Discussion 1
M test driving new bearings General Amphicar Discussion 0
K Generator/Regulator test General Amphicar Discussion 3
A The Amphi Mentality Test (Repost) General Amphicar Discussion 0
C How NOT to test for leaks... General Amphicar Discussion 2
D Delays delays delays THE TEST General Amphicar Discussion 1
T TEST SWIM 1 27 02 General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Hibernating Amphi Test? (HAT) General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Water Tranny Test General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Amphi Test Drive General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Photo test General Amphicar Discussion 2
E TEST General Amphicar Discussion 5
A Test of new amphi board General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Rear Amphicar Shocks w/Small Diameter Spring - Rear Spring Specs? General Amphicar Discussion 2
Bill Todd SOLD ...I moved and.. well. 1963 RED Amphicar 770 for sale. White top and white and grey interior. Matching red wheels. General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel The only car I consider to be way cooler than the Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Parting ways with my 64 Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 0
AmazingOne Restored 1964 Amphicar for sale General Amphicar Discussion 0
chapron67 Wanted to buy: Nice, useable Amphicar. General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Annual costs of maintaining an Amphicar (Forum) ... General Amphicar Discussion 8
Jon March lot #012 - The next big Amphicar auction: end of This week! - lot #012 General Amphicar Discussion 4
strandweiss62 RHD Amphicar sold at Mecum General Amphicar Discussion 2
C Amphicar with Buick V6! General Amphicar Discussion 4
DavidC Amphicar club gift. General Amphicar Discussion 3
Andreas Gomoll „The Uganda-Amphicar“ - Brakeparts needed... General Amphicar Discussion 0
Latitude33 Amphicar cover General Amphicar Discussion 4
Andreas Gomoll ... my Amphicar has some specials.... Restorations in progress 2
B Amphicar Tow Bar General Amphicar Discussion 0
DavidC Anyone interested in the ultimate Amphicar muffler project ? General Amphicar Discussion 9
B Celina Amphicar Record General Amphicar Discussion 3
T Amphicar Furniture General Amphicar Discussion 6
mike_israel Amphicar Hawaiian Shirts - Order Deadline Approaching General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March the 3 different Amphicar factory driveshafts General Amphicar Discussion 2
W Having trouble finding outer boots for my Amphicar with Eddie Dillard rear axles. General Amphicar Discussion 12
sdreich Amphicar Transmissions General Amphicar Discussion 12
L long distance moves for Amphicar General Amphicar Discussion 6
sdreich Amphicar Hubcaps on eBay and More General Amphicar Discussion 4
LSolheim 2018 Clearlake Seaplane - Amphicar: Fly & Swim-in General Amphicar Discussion 0