This winters Project.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I use a place in Toronto,(TECHNO STRIP) and picked up the car there Monday morning. Rain was in the forecast for noon so hurried home. at 10am ran into a heavy downpour!
Washed it down when I got home and dried it off.
Cut what I thought was all the rust out before I took it there. WRONG!
here is the drivers side .. ITs missing!

Chucks rust holes 018.JPG

Jon March

jesus. you guys floor me with the amount of your patience, knowledge, talent and fearlessness - i could never!(*@# And I cant imagine how much $$$ this will end up costing at 95/hour! = PLUS parts!! *&#@%

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
When I do a restoration I alway look at car before I take them on to make sure there not too far gone. They always end up worse than I thought.
I do give a maximum amount that I will not go over, and its not 95 hr. but you are going to pay for my skills and speed.This car WILL be swimming at the 2017 Central florida swim- in next MARCH
top pic was taken This week,I just got the car back on Monday.
These pics were taken Thursday..
Oh I'll throw a before pic in.

chicks welding 013.JPG

chicks welding 011.JPG

chicks welding 005.JPG

101_5418.JPG

Jon March

So a customer brought you this car (as seen in bottom pic), and you guys came up with an estimated ballpark price range i guess? When had it last been swimming i wonder?

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
He lives a 1/2 hr away from Cellina. and did not come . He bought it in 2010 from Georgia, and used it up till last year.
Someone had done a slap stick redo job , patches over rust etc .Other than rear fenders it looked very presentable.
Pass side just as bad.Cut it out Friday and started welding in rear inner fender.

Chucks Pass side 003.JPG

Chucks Pass side 006.JPG

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Now I,m working on the back end. had to make a new Rad cradle.
This car will be 99% new metal by the time I'm done WOW.

Chucks rear pod 006.JPG

Chucks rear pod 003.JPG

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Rear getting back together, note the drain plug welded into bottom of Quarter inner.This will all be primed and painted before out skin goes on.

Chucks Rear Welding 012.JPG

Cap'n John

The drain in the 1/4 panel is something that should have been done at the factory. I've seen all manners of stuff sprayed, poured and stuffed in there. That will NEVER work! Anything you put in there to fill it will only trap the moisture and VOILA! more rust. The best way is to allow the water in and then give it a way out. Easy peasy...

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
The 1st pic was posted on Sept 28th. It is now Oct.17th and the body is back together and ready for body fill work to begin. But I need a break,,.Fl, for a Month!

Rear Quarters 008.JPG

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
4000 mile motor,When I started it back in summer I heard a lot of rod noise till oil got up so took it apart. Crank needed turning so sent it out.
No ridge on clys. so hone it out and put new rings ,right. Wrong..#3 cyl. had bad pit marks 1/3 way down where water had sat at some time in past. So had to go get it bored out. Then when I cleaned head up found pits in the seats too. so off for valve job and guides, .Anyway back together again and ready for car when bodywork is done.Note additions of John F. Clutch(A must) Heat shield, Fuel line insulation,long dip stick, and Thermostat extender

Chucks Motor 009.JPG

Chucks Motor 005.JPG

Chucks Motor 002.JPG

Chucks Motor 003.JPG

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Main wire harness had bad burn marks so replaced with a good harness.
body work has begun. my arms are gonna hurt!

Joanne 001.JPG

Joanne 005.JPG

Joanne 008.JPG

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Got the Chrome parts back this week.$1700 with tax. I think it may be cheaper to buy new than get re done.
Nope! I just added it up off a 2011 parts list and came to $1924.00 without all the bumper bolts.

chuck primer 017.JPG

Last edited:

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Bottoms painted and inside is red. now I start putting things back in floor while it is still in rotisserie, no bending over!

002.JPG

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Note the insulated fuel line(away from the heater hose line)
extra holes to move seat back.
Custom steering box brace(all my cars get this mod)
Voltage regulator moved out on a bracket where you can see it better.

assembly 003.JPG

assembly 005.JPG

assembly 001.JPG

Jon March

Wonderful!! What great pics! Gord - instead of the typical "s" bend, i see the fuel evap tube arcing upwards - where is it opening/directed to?
Also - Im interested in long dipsticks for oil & tranny - can u help?

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Wonderful!! What great pics! Gord - instead of the typical "s" bend, i see the fuel evap tube arcing upwards - where is it opening/directed to?
Also - Im interested in long dipsticks for oil & tranny - can u help?
I usually run a hose back up to carb intake.
Di[p sticks.. aval at corner auto parts stores(chrome area) I find them at auto flea markets.