The Feds Sink Our amphibious Car Dreams

Craig_Parada

Gold Subscriber
Apparently they will grant exemptions for flying cars, just not floating ones.

With Car/Boat Stalled, Gibbs to Launch Amphibious ATV | TheDetroitBureau.com

I don't know that those wacky flying cars have been certified yet, but it has always been tough to certify amphibious cars. It's disappointing to read that someone from Gibbs says that it's "technically impossible" to build vehicles to simultaneously meet both water and road standards. That's marketing whining, not engineering commentary. The engine example is pretty bogus - a diesel engine would good on the road and much better enclosed in a boat hull.
If building amphibious cars was easy, Honda would have already built and sold hundreds of thousands; Gibbs wouldn't have a market. But it would still be fun if they'd get their act together and build a proper amphibious car.

slantflat

You know this isn't that far-fetched. I've seen Honda airplanes at auto shows for years. Perhaps they just need that extra nudge to venture into the amphibious field.

Although, as an ardent Honda-hater, I'd rather a company a little more palatable come up with the modern Amphi. No, not Toyota.

Mike Clark

Stockbridge, Georgia

If building amphibious cars was easy, Honda would have already built and sold hundreds of thousands; Gibbs wouldn't have a market. But it would still be fun if they'd get their act together and build a proper amphibious car.

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Aquada probably wouldn't work with a diesel, to keep it on the plane that
water jets needs power (over 150HP) and high revs. I've been in it on the
water and the engine was running at over 4000 rpm.

If they were still built in Europe there are exemptions for low volume cars,
but it looks like moving to Detroit (to get a large government incentive)
maybe wasn't so smart.

David C