tail lights

Michael Kelly

hello I am new to this forum but have owned my car for 10 years.
I pulled it out of the garage yesterday and found my rear tail light was not working.
So I removed the lense to find it was full of water and badly rusted out.
The assembley is 220.00 a side and I thought that was pricey.
Does any bodyknow of a cheeper alternative?

I was thinkging I should probably change every light in the car so if you know where to get all the others as well that would be agreat help!

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Go into a New Car dealership and price out a tail light assembly, you WILL be Shocked!
I have a few used len's but most inner rear or front are rusted too,
If you not for original type there are some out there that could work,. Auto flea markets have booths that sell hot rod lights. I have put some on my Firbreglass Amphi. Pics att.
Fronts are off British sports cars for about $26. (MGA,Austin Heally) they are round but not as pointed.
Think I paid $30 each for rears, I raised them up a bit and did not put back ups on.You can see the fill in of old holes still there.LED reflectors were $7.
100_2800.JPG100_2808.JPG

Michael Kelly

Gord, Thank you for getting back to me on this!
I think I will just have to bite the bullet and go for the pricey ones.
I just thought that maybe Amphi originally might have bought them from volkswagon or NSU or somewhere like that.
I would hate to down grade my car with something that looks out of place.
I guess I better be nice to my wife for a while! So when she sees the 1000.00 dollar VISA bill she will still let me in the house!

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Email me off line for a up to date Price list of all the Amphicar Parts I have.
I custom make alot of parts, Including Steel body panels
because the tail lights and front Turn lites rusted so much that stack was sold out years ago and I too have to get from Calf.
I do make headlight pots that will never rust again!(Fglass)
Gord@amphicar.ca

Craig Parada

Craig Parada
A lot of the parts can be recovered through chemical dipping or electrolysis. You may not have to replace all the lights, but it would be a good idea to take them all apart for cleaning and applying contact grease. Even cars this old that don't get their electrical parts submerged need help!