Starter intermittently 'crunches'...

chapron67

My Amphicar makes a rude crunching noise about 25% of the time it cranks over. The starter is new, as is the ring gear. Most of the time I just have to touch the starter and it cranks immediately and starts right up.

So I removed the starter and, with a mirror, checked the ring gear teeth: it's perfect. The 'splines' on the starter look 'OK' with some wear on the ends. I filed the splines down a bit thinking that it was having a problem 'sinking its teeth' in the ring-gear but that seem to not have fixed it. The teeth on the spline moves freely on the shaft. There's no dirt or anything. Everything looks new.

Someone told me this is 'normal' on a Amphicar where the teeth don't mesh perfectly everything.. is that true? Thoughts on a fix (should I lube the ring gear -- doesn't seem like I want to get grease in there ...)

Thanks!

Greg

strandweiss62

This problem may be solved by adding some of the big shims 1-10-32 between starter and rear engine plate, to move starter slightly backwards. If mounting too many shims the starter will not disengage after starting.
Peter

chapron67

This problem may be solved by adding some of the big shims 1-10-32 between starter and rear engine plate, to move starter slightly backwards. If mounting too many shims the starter will not disengage after starting.
Peter

Thanks Peter... because you think the splines may be 'driven' too far into the ring gear? There seems to be no wear on the splines except at the ends. And why do you think it would be intermittent? Thanks! Greg

strandweiss62

Greg, the amphicar starter works opposite way to modern starters. Its gear not thrusts out , but moves in the direction of the starter motor. So using more shims means better connection of pinion and flywheel. I think you discovered wear on pinion, not on worm gear?
Peter

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
this is not a popular thing to happen on amphicars.. I have never had it so can not help but give Peter's tip a try.
Now kicking out before motor starts, Yes.. not engaging at all, yes.
Trying to change at a car show,,, Priceless but been done many times..%%&^:mad: