specialty cars

hadleyohlinger

Does anyone know where that single black amphi is? Is it in a museum or does a private collector have it? Also, any info on the exact number of the white amphis with the red tops, interior and red mouldings. Some (don't know how many) were built for the NY world fair and some for Cypress Gardens. Does anyone know the numbers and where are they now?
Hadley

azpaul50

I don't remember exactly where I read it but something said 25 cars were used at the World's Fair. Mine is a clone so I did some net research on the subject some time ago and think that statement was in context to the fair itself (rather than a discussion of Amphis). Again, I'm not sure but that number seems to stick in my head. Meanwhile, I'd sure like to find the some red replacement side and rear (rubber) mouldings as mine keep getting pinker and pinker. I know some old rear red pieces are available (Gord?) somewhere but I'd like to find a entire set of the same vintage. - AZP

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20926] specialty cars
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 15:19:40 -0400

Does anyone know where that single black amphi is? Is it in a museum or does a private collector have it? Also, any info on the exact number of the white amphis with the red tops, interior and red mouldings. Some (don't know how many) were built for the NY world fair and some for Cypress Gardens. Does anyone know the numbers and where are they now?
Hadley

hadleyohlinger

My interest is like yours as I am in the process of reassembling my car.* I have ordered the red rear bumper moulding but the sides seem unavailable. I guess it is a matter of patience.
The numbers you use are much higher than I had* previously heard. They were more like* 4 or 5 for World fair and 6 to Cypress. Sure would be nice to know for sure as this would affect value.

--- On Sun, 11/7/10, azpaul50 <> wrote:

Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20926] specialty cars
To: hadleyohlinger@yahoo.ca
Received: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 5:50 PM

I don't remember exactly where I read it but something said 25 cars were used at the World's Fair. Mine is a clone so I did some net research on the subject some time ago and think that statement was in context to the fair itself (rather than a discussion of Amphis). Again, I'm not sure but that number seems to stick in my head. Meanwhile, I'd sure like to find the some red replacement side and rear (rubber) mouldings as mine keep getting pinker and pinker. I know some old rear red pieces are available (Gord?) somewhere but I'd like to find a entire set of the same vintage. - AZP

Hadley

hadleyohlinger

I'm in the process of reassembling my car after having it painted. I ordered Gords red rear bumper seals but would like side mouldings as well. The seals under the side are brittle*
so until red are available I'll use the ivory ones. I refurbished my mouldings and they look pretty darn good.
*The numbers you mention are somewhat higher than I have heard before. It was 5 or 6 for Worlds fair and 6 to 8 for Cypress.* That is quite a difference.
Hadley

Hadley

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I just went and checked.. I have 5 NOS rear rubber bumper strips in RED.
These have been sitting in Basements for over 50 years now,, I have found that after installing them the bends seem to crack quite quickly when exposed to Sun. I will sell them thou on a as is sale for $50 each.
I do not have sides or strip behind trim.
On the other hand I have Alot of Black side trim(NOS) and the the strip behind the chrome.
Ron T . is now at my Parts store in Florida.
My web site now has a link to Herbs site showing the progress of a masive restoration of his car that was rear ended on his very 1st test drive after buying the Amphicar, The car was crumpulled right up to the doors by a car from behind whom did not see him stopped on the road????

azpaul50

I'm up to my ears in cars and bikes right now as we've done 4 car/bike shows in as many weeks using 5 vehicles. Two more to go before Thanksgiving. Our shows are reversed from most because we're in the southwest and it is warm here now. I only say that as I just don't have time right now to retrace my research and try to find the reference again. I asked about this before and thought maybe I could use Gord's end strips for the sides too until he said they were brittle (I appreciate Gord's honesty and candor). Our summer heat here would just dry them out more. I think mine are leeching color more than they would elsewhere because I have my car in the Colorado river. The alkaline content is high although it is the same water that feeds some of San Diego. Then someone mentioned dying them but I wonder how that could be done? Spray? What/where and would it work well for my environment? Last chance on a 1963 Duo Glide Panhead I have for sale, F-1, F-5 highway options for $15K. I think it's going to Phoenix unless someone offers a bit more. - AZP

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 00:41:37 -0500

My interest is like yours as I am in the process of reassembling my car.* I have ordered the red rear bumper moulding but the sides seem unavailable. I guess it is a matter of patience.
The numbers you use are much higher than I had* previously heard. They were more like* 4 or 5 for World fair and 6 to Cypress. Sure would be nice to know for sure as this would affect value.

Hadley

azpaul50

It looks like somebody already looked into this at amphicar.com/FAQs. Somebody says 50 were made for the combination of the fair and Cypress Gardens. Maybe I came up with 25 halving that number for each place. I also recall seeing a black/white picture of some sitting in a lagoon waiting to give rides again going by what I recall from looking a few years ago. Meanwhile, Gordon's apparently has complete sets of red trim although I didn't see them in the old catalog. I called today on a whim and they have 'em according to Scott! I'll have to look at the new catalog when I get a chance. Right now, it's all Schmitt **Sh*t** until I can get that puppy right. I'm batting .333 against my friend's Isetta in shows this past month and have to improve that average! - AZP

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:27:14 -0500

I'm up to my ears in cars and bikes right now as we've done 4 car/bike shows in as many weeks using 5 vehicles. Two more to go before Thanksgiving. Our shows are reversed from most because we're in the southwest and it is warm here now. I only say that as I just don't have time right now to retrace my research and try to find the reference again. I asked about this before and thought maybe I could use Gord's end strips for the sides too until he said they were brittle (I appreciate Gord's honesty and candor). Our summer heat here would just dry them out more. I think mine are leeching color more than they would elsewhere because I have my car in the Colorado river. The alkaline content is high although it is the same water that feeds some of San Diego. Then someone mentioned dying them but I wonder how that could be done? Spray? What/where and would it work well for my environment? Last chance on a 1963 Duo Glide Panhead I have for sale, F-1, F-5 highway options for $15K. I think it's going to Phoenix unless someone offers a bit more. - AZP

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 00:41:37 -0500

Hadley

goobcarla

Good morning! What about the other color cars that were at the '64 - '65 World's Fair? Does anyone have info on which ones they were, by VIN or other paperwork? Just curious!

Thanks, Gary in central NYS.

---- hadleyohlinger <> wrote:

azpaul50

Again just repeating what I read, they were all specially configured... ivory paint job with red trim and red convertible tops. - AZP

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:30:42 -0500

Good morning! What about the other color cars that were at the '64 - '65 World's Fair? Does anyone have info on which ones they were, by VIN or other paperwork? Just curious!

hadleyohlinger

I just made an inquiry about all cars on another site. Have not recieved any info back yet. I will forward it when recieved.
Hadley

--- On Tue, 11/9/10, goobcarla <> wrote:

Received: Tuesday, November 9, 2010, 6:30 AM

Gary where abouts in NY are you?? I live in Amsterdam NY, Just outside of Albany.
Just Wondering Paul 67 blue, 67red under restore.

To: pvcj@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:30:42 -0500

goobcarla

Just a couple hours west at exit 35 of the Thruway, in East Syracuse. What a beautiful day today! I'm taking the opportunity to wax my snow shovels!!

Gary (red '64)

---- amphicarowner <> wrote:

Just wondering: I have five amphicar owners that live in a ten mile raidus of me. One day i might try to get us all together for a swim?
Right now i am in the process of buying a 64 amphicar to use to restore my other 67 or i just might restore the 64?? Have to wait untill i get the new one home.
Paul Dion Albany NY

To: pvcj@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:18:27 -0500

Just a couple hours west at exit 35 of the Thruway, in East Syracuse. What a beautiful day today! I'm taking the opportunity to wax my snow shovels!!

Gary (red '64)

---- amphicarowner <> wrote:

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Check out the Gordon Imports weekend special. They've got NEW red rubber moulding kits for your World's Fair cars.
I'm jealous,
Ted
PART # 12-46-19a KIT
MASTER NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR
RED RUBBER MOULDING PACKAGE
$449.09 EACH KIT S&H $25.00 EACH KIT

antique459

Kinda makes me wish my car was white!

Who's got some extra paint???

In a message dated 11/12/2010 7:13:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Check out the Gordon Imports weekend special. They've got NEW red rubber
moulding kits for your World's Fair cars.
I'm jealous,
Ted
PART # 12-46-19a KIT
MASTER NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR
RED RUBBER MOULDING PACKAGE
$449.09 EACH KIT S&H $25.00 EACH KIT

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jon March Disney cars question - General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Why restorations cost so much .. or why I don't work on cars for a living General Amphicar Discussion 3
Jon March Disney-cars muffler location General Amphicar Discussion 4
SNOWBIRD Parts cars are now project cars Restorations in progress 3
G January 1967 Popular Imported Cars General Amphicar Discussion 0
B 101 Cars you must drive General Amphicar Discussion 3
J FUN ! ~The Cars We Drove In The 50s & 60s ~ General Amphicar Discussion 0
K Movie cars General Amphicar Discussion 1
A 2nd annual DFW Classic Cars, Mahogany and Brass General Amphicar Discussion 1
R Cars waiting to be discovered General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Front turn signals - three cars for sale General Amphicar Discussion 1
A July 1985 Issue of Cars & Parts magazine General Amphicar Discussion 1
J Cars in my area? General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Upcoming Grapevine swim-in with Wooden boats / Classic cars General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphicar in Old Cars Weekly - Mar 24 General Amphicar Discussion 0
T How many cars in each Color were Produced? General Amphicar Discussion 9
R parts cars General Amphicar Discussion 2
E check out ebay two cars or the price of one General Amphicar Discussion 2
J CARS FOR SALE. General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Cars already arriving General Amphicar Discussion 0
A DFW Cars General Amphicar Discussion 0
D I hate really rusty cars General Amphicar Discussion 0
E 4SALE 2 CARS General Amphicar Discussion 2
T cure "unbleedable" cars General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Tommy in Cars & Parts General Amphicar Discussion 0
A LAKE CASITAS - ONLY 62 CARS SHORT IF GOAL! General Amphicar Discussion 0