Source for Brake Shoes

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Is there any other source for brake shoes other than Gordon Imports or Gord Souter? Can they be relined, or does the relining have to be done with a special material?
Thanks,
Ted

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Ted,

I do not recall off-hand but if you search the archives at amphicar770.com there is a lot of info on brake lining alternatives.

Mike

R

Ron Green

I didn't think Hugh sold the new lining anymore just used brake shoes? My amphi has had Gord's lining on for 3 years and so far it is working pretty good. I believe Gord uses lining from the Hummer that are made to get wet. Using standard brake lining probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Hey Ted : I got mine relined at Ogburn's Truck Parts, 817-332-1511, 900 Northside Dr., Fort Worth. I told them what it was for, waterproof, etc. $12.00 each, bonded. Amphigr66n.

Tedredamphi <> wrote: Is there any other source for brake shoes other than Gordon Imports or Gord Souter? Can they be relined, or does the relining have to be done with a special material?
Thanks,
Ted

d.Shappard

Ted,
I got my brakes relined at Dallas Brake an Clutch in Dallas Texas. They have a lining they called heavy duty. It even works when it is in oil. It is woven fiberglass and brass. I think this is the same material Gord uses. They took my old shoes cleaned the old core up and rivieted the linings they also put some kind of a clear coat on the metal cores. I think it cost me $120 total about 5 years ago for all wheels. The brakes still look good and they work fine.

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
I'd agree riviting is the way to go. It is the way the shoes are designed. In the past there have been problems with the glue used for bonded linings unbonding after a long time in the water. Also be aware that some linings can swell when in water - in the worst case you might get to the boat ramp and find all 4 wheels are locked solid !

Also you don't want linings that are too hard as they could wear/damage the drum which is an expensive part (although not unique Amphicar, it has a Mercedes part number on it)

I'm not sure what the answer is, the original linings are certainly not as sharp as they once were.

I'm using some linings made for me a few years ago by Ferodo UK (as explained on the Salvage Squad DVD) but that source is no longer available. I did give all the details to Hugh G but he was concerned about the product liabilty laws you have in the US.

David C

----- Original Message -----
To: david@manbus.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 10:47 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19931] Re: Source for Brake Shoes

Ted,
I got my brakes relined at Dallas Brake an Clutch in Dallas Texas. They have a lining they called heavy duty. It even works when it is in oil. It is woven fiberglass and brass. I think this is the same material Gord uses. They took my old shoes cleaned the old core up and rivieted the linings they also put some kind of a clear coat on the metal cores. I think it cost me $120 total about 5 years ago for all wheels. The brakes still look good and they work fine.