Side Molding Installation

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Any helpful hints for installing the new rubber inserts on the body side molding? Do you slide the rubber in from the ends or ??? How about where the moulding meets the pointed aluminum tips - does it just but against the tip or do you need to trim and tuck the rubber under the tip?
Thanks,
Ted

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
You won't be able to slide them in. Cut them about an inch or so long to slow the shrinking process and keep them looking good for a while. I have a stubby wide blade screwdriver that I rounded off the edges. Place the lower lip into the molding to hold it in place. Use the screwdriver to tuck the upper lip into the molding being careful not to gauge the insert or alum. Once you get it started, use your finger to pull down slightly while pushing the lip into the molding. Tough to describe, but with practice you should work out the technique. I can get the entire side (3 pieces) on in about 30 mins or less.

The under layment should have but a single seam at the bottom about 3" or so from the end if done correctly. Cut it about 6"-8" long (make sure you have enough extra length to do all 4.) Cut it so you have a "tail" on one side leaving a 1/4" or so lip to go under the molding. You will end up having the tail follow around the end of the molding, wrapping around the tip and then meeting at the bottom. You may need to make a couple pie cuts to allow it to bend tightly at the tip. If you still have an original piece, look to see how the factory prepped the piece to fit. If you have a butt joint at the tip, it will seperate and look horrible.

Tough to describe and a process I once had on the IAOC site clearly pictured, I don't see any of it there now.

fouramphs

The reproduction white trim.
I start with the front, then rear and last the doors.
rough cut to length and add a few inches
taper the starting end to slide better.
Soak the trim in warm soap water then as you start it pour dish soap on the trim
I install a long screw into the end of trim.With 2 people have one clamp on screw with vice grips and other guide trim into channel.
It, will now slide in very easily..When you get to end pull trim ou off channel a bit and pull past end.Push trim in tight with towel to remove strech,leave a overhang on this end too.If you can leave for a day before final trim, cut back the pointy end and fit into cup. leave other end a bit long and do not put alu, ends on till car is 99% done,, to fit alu, ends pull out of track, fit ends then use Johns method for final reasembly/
Gord S/>>>

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
So how is the side molding insert supposed to fit into the pointed cup???:005:
Ted

Attachments

• side cup.JPG
    side cup.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 47

CapnJohn

So how is the side molding insert supposed to fit into the pointed cup???:005:
Ted

Hugh's molding isn't an exact match to correct original pieces, so you will have that extra lip. It is suppose to fit as a butt joint to the alum end rather than inside it as I think you are saying. I have used an air sander to round off the ends to minimize that but you have it as good as Hugh's moldings get.

Nice job of the end wrap! You may consider adding a small dollop of epoxy under and in the ends to help secure them in place.

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Thanks for the help and affirmation John. I sort of figured that the insert from Gordon Imports was a "a little too fat". I don't know about epoxy, but super glue does a good job of butting rubber ends together like the side molding underlayment.
Thanks,
Ted

CapnJohn

You're very welcome!

The one problem with superglue is that it is very brittle. It's bet used for things that don't move, bend or expand. Epoxy is a little more "plastic" when cured which allows it to bend and move more freely without breaking like superglue will. I rough up the pieces before glueing so they have some "gription" to work with

jfriese

There are rubberized versions of super glue available. Some talk about it and some don't. It's never the super thin versions though. "Gorilla" brand is one that I find most places and it is rubberized so that it doesn't crack easily.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MAE Right Side Door Needed General Amphicar Discussion 0
DougFromBaltimore Convertible top - Help with weather-strip over side windows General Amphicar Discussion 4
Jon March Pinch bolt side-play? General Amphicar Discussion 3
Jon March side-trim sealer: Petroleum jelly / clear dielectric grease General Amphicar Discussion 2
R side mirror info needed General Amphicar Discussion 11
C Black under side paint General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Amphipoda & Mermaid are back from the other side of the planet General Amphicar Discussion 1
M NOS Full Quarter Panel For Sale - Passenger side. General Amphicar Discussion 0
M NOS Rear Quarter Panel - Passenger Side General Amphicar Discussion 0
R side panel General Amphicar Discussion 0
J SIDE TRIM General Amphicar Discussion 0
T Curb-side queens General Amphicar Discussion 2
I fiberglass side panels for Amphicars General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Side Trim Moldings General Amphicar Discussion 0
W side trim mouldings General Amphicar Discussion 0
A BRIGHT DIP ANODIZED MOLDING NOW AVAILABLE General Amphicar Discussion 1
mschlem Fin Molding General Amphicar Discussion 5
T Rear Bumper Molding General Amphicar Discussion 7
A The Real Molding Development Story General Amphicar Discussion 3
P Removing Fin Molding General Amphicar Discussion 5
D molding General Amphicar Discussion 0
peterboz soft top installation General Amphicar Discussion 9
sdreich Starter Motor Installation: A Two-person Job? General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Window Fuzzies Installation Question? General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Front Seatback Upholstery Installation General Amphicar Discussion 4
T Amphicar door installation General Amphicar Discussion 6
T Vent Window Glass Installation General Amphicar Discussion 5
Mark Richardson Accelerator cable installation question General Amphicar Discussion 17
Tom Laferriere Rear Seat Belt Installation General Amphicar Discussion 6
T Propeller Shaft Seal Installation General Amphicar Discussion 22
J Big Engine Installation General Amphicar Discussion 2
B Top light installation questions General Amphicar Discussion 1