Seized up Brake Wheel Cylinders

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
:032:Anyone know of a good method to get seized up brake wheel cylinders apart? These have been sitting for 25 or 30 years(or more)!!! I think I need a good solution to soak them in for a few days, but have yet to find anything that works. Pushing the rears out by force probably won't be too hard, but the fronts can't be forced out.
Thanks,
Ted

DrNoose

Compressed air worked for me!

Dan
'64 Das Boot

Tedredamphi wrote:

> Anyone know of a good method to get seized up brake wheel cylinders
> apart? These have been sitting for 25 or 30 years(or more)!!! I think
> I need a good solution to soak them in for a few days, but have yet to
> find anything that works. Pushing the rears out by force probably
> won't be too hard, but the fronts can't be forced out.
> Thanks,
> Ted
>
>

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
Penetrating fluid both sides for a few days.

Then put them in the freezer for a few nights and after warm them up a bit by dropping them in near boiling water. Do this a few times.

Then compressed air or water.

Watch the bleed valve, need to make sure that works and if it breaks it pretty much writes off the cylinder anyway.

David C

----- Original Message -----
To: david@manbus.com
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:35 PM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19939] Re: Seized up Brake Wheel Cylinders

Mine are REALLY seized up! Compressed air doesn't budge the wheel cylinder pistons.
Ted

LAH20CAR

Take your cylinder to a place that sells grease zerks and get the proper one that fits where the brake line went, then pump in grease from a grease gun and it will come apart. As I proof read this it occurred to me that maybe I put the grease zerk in where the bleeder screw was and plugged where the line went in, either way---grease pressure will force it apart.

Most folks think you need to have them bored and a new sleave pressed in but in all my life, I have never had one that was not able to be saved by only honing with a drill.

If yours spent its life in salt water then it may be too bad to save

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
On the amphicar, it is still worth having them resleeved with stainless or brass so that they are not seizing up on you every few years.

I seem to recall heating them with a torch some years back to get the bleeder valves out.

jwillia

Ted
The best stuff I have used is aero kroil www.kanolabs.com it is amazing stuff.

Jeff

To: jeffreyd_7@hotmail.comSubject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19939] Seized up Brake Wheel CylindersDate: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:31:25 -0400From:

Anyone know of a good method to get seized up brake wheel cylinders apart? These have been sitting for 25 or 30 years(or more)!!! I think I need a good solution to soak them in for a few days, but have yet to find anything that works. Pushing the rears out by force probably won't be too hard, but the fronts can't be forced out.Thanks,Ted

Tommy in Tampa

Amphicar Expert
Send them all to a place like White Post. They unstick, rebuild and sleeve them and give them a LIFETIME guarantee.
Your brakes will fail again, you can count on that. If you keep your paper work White Post will rebuild them again no problem forever.
White Post Restorations
If you swim your car even once a week for two years, you will need a brake job. That's just the it is, but your Amphi sure is worth the effort. You can get GREAT replacement shoes from Gord in Canada. Tommy in Tampa
in Tampa

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
Packing waterproof brake grease under the dust caps is necessary to
prevent oxidation and rusting of the pistons and cylinders.

Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube works well for this:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/lubricants/specialty_lubricants/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Disc_Brake_Caliper_Lube_1.htm

Ken Chambers, CA
'64 Red

On Apr 13, 2008, at 6:19 AM, Tommy in Tampa wrote:

> Send them all to a place like White Post. They unstick, rebuild and
> sleeve them and give them a LIFETIME guarantee.
> Your brakes will fail again, you can count on that. If you keep your
> paper work White Post will rebuild them again no problem forever.
> White Post Restorations
> If you swim your car even once a week for two years, you will need a
> brake job. That's just the it is, but your Amphi sure is worth the
> effort. You can get GREAT replacement shoes from Gord in Canada.
> Tommy in Tampa
> in Tampa
>

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Has anybody had their brake wheel cylinders rebuilt by White Post lately that could tell me about how much they charge? If not I'll just call them Monday.
Thanks,
Ted

Mouse-MIlk (R) works Great also. Yes it's real a real bolt loosener etc., Avery Aircraft Supply At Hicks Field (Saginaw, TX) has it in their catalog. Should be in Stock. Marc, Anphigr66n.

jwillia <> wrote: Ted
The best stuff I have used is aero kroil www.kanolabs.com it is amazing stuff.

Jeff

To: jeffreyd_7@hotmail.comSubject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19939] Seized up Brake Wheel CylindersDate: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:31:25 -0400From:

Anyone know of a good method to get seized up brake wheel cylinders apart? These have been sitting for 25 or 30 years(or more)!!! I think I need a good solution to soak them in for a few days, but have yet to find anything that works. Pushing the rears out by force probably won't be too hard, but the fronts can't be forced out.Thanks,Ted

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Thanks for the help. I finally got the last of mine apart yesterday. For everybody's information White Post said they charge $120 apiece to sleeve and rebuild wheel cylinders.
Ted

LAH20CAR

Get a small hone---maybe ten bucks

The rear rubber cups can be had locally, fronts available from Gord

Clean up the aluminum pistons with scotch brite pads and bead blast the outside end, paint the outside end with good two part epoxy paint or silver lacquer---they don't have to be perfect, the rubber cups do the sealing.

Clean and bead blast cylinders then paint with silver lacquer in spray can--they will look and stay new

Use synthenic grease, as in disc brake grease under rubber caps---outside of pistons

did mine six years ago and no problems yet

Be sure when you put back together that the rear shoes go back the way they came off---one is has a shorter lining than the other and I think it goes on the back off the drum, but not sure

or spend $720 to re-sleeve

goobcarla

The "short" shoe should be placed at the front of the assembly.

Gary, in absolutely beautiful (weather-wise) central New York, it's Spring!
red '64
---- LAH20CAR <> wrote:

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Lots of Amphi owners, including myself, have had them resleeved and rebuilt by the following shop. They will resleeve them in stainless and return them ready to go with proper rubber seals and new bleeders. About 3-4 years ago
it cost me $100 for both rear cylinders. Turn-around time was also very quick.

Brake & Equipment
445 NE Harrison St
Minneapolis, MN 55413
612-378-3141

chasgould

My experience is that White Post does an amazing job, but charges a huge
premium in my opinion. There are other shops that will resleeve for much cheaper.
Although my experience has also been that a proper simple rehone and new
internal parts and seals will last many, many years without trouble. I have never
had the two year re-rust problem that others have written about.
Chas

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money &amp;
Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
A few years back, a reported problem with White Post was that they were not using the proper rubber boots which are kind of unique to the Amphicar. This may have changed and i have no personal experience with them. The guy I used did a great job.

LSolheim

From the old "part substitution" archives: Standard US rebuild kit boots fit
front and rear: Raybestos WK396 for the fronts, Raybestos WK1147 for the
rears.

If the cylinder pistons are modified by parting them just where the large
diameter ends (leaving only a piston w/o the stem & seal attachment groove)
these kits will also rebuild the cylinder, using standard cups and springs.
Of course you need an extra kit for each side in the front to replace the
springs, the first time, at least.

I've used these since with silicone fluid since 1995, although I do usually
inspect and hone (as req'd) every couple of years. Since the rebuild kits
are less than $6.00 it is not an expensive task.

--Larry

Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:37 AM
To: lrsnpark@gmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19939] Re: Seized up Brake Wheel
Cylinders

A few years back, a reported problem with White Post was that they were not
using the proper rubber boots which are kind of unique to the Amphicar. This
may have changed and i have no personal experience with them. The guy I used
did a great job.

dougklink

I use B&E for all my fire truck and antique car cylinders. They do nice work. Don't have them sleeved with brass somewhere else, insist on stainless.
----- Original Message -----
To: dougklink@gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:17 AM
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19939] Re: Seized up Brake Wheel Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAH20CAR

Lots of Amphi owners, including myself, have had them resleeved and rebuilt by the following shop. They will resleeve them in stainless and return them ready to go with proper rubber seals and new bleeders. About 3-4 years ago
it cost me $100 for both rear cylinders. Turn-around time was also very quick.

Brake & Equipment
445 NE Harrison St
Minneapolis, MN 55413
612-378-3141