Seal popped out of hub!?

Jon March

No problem with the driver side rear hub: I pumped with grease evenly and till it came out the front side and backside… But the passenger side hub (you may remember this is the same hub that had the key-play back-and-forth) =- On that one, grease insusted on only coming out the front side
-even through the keyway. Trying to get grease to appear out the rear seal as well, I put the key, nut and washer on to try to prevent grease migration out of the front, to encourage it to come out the backside like the previous hub… But when I did, grease still refused to come out the back side, and instead blew out the seal on the hub side!#@

Grease SHOULD be traveling easily enough in the hub interior to come out the rear seal and not force out the frontside seal - Why would this be ?!

image.jpg

Last edited:

MAE

Amphicar Expert
No problem with the driver side rear hub: I pumped with grease evenly and till it came out the front side and backside… But the passenger side hub (you may remember this is the same hub that had the key-play back-and-forth) =- On that one, grease insusted on only coming out the front side
-even through the keyway. Trying to get grease to appear out the rear seal as well, I put the key, nut and washer on to try to prevent grease migration out of the front, to encourage it to come out the backside like the previous hub… But when I did, grease still refused to come out the back side, and instead blew out the seal on the hub side!#@

Grease SHOULD be traveling easily enough in the hub interior to come out the rear seal and not force out the frontside seal - Why would this be ?!

View attachment 1934
Jon, Turn your seals around. Spring side facing out.

Jon March

yes !
I've been learning with this topic that "springs outward" on both sides of the rear hubs is the new preferred way – – with the goal being most important to keep water out and manageable to control and keep grease from contaminating the brakes when amy comes out.

The original engineering diagram in the maintenance manual shows the outer seal with the spring facing toward the inside of the hub . With the goal being to prevent grease from contaminating the rear brakes – – but apparently it has been learned that water suck is a bigger problem with seals in that position.

Meantime I pressed out the stub axle to see if the bearing was a shielded type with a dust cover that might have prevented grease from squeezing out the back, or if the rear seal had a dust lip ...and indeed it does have a dust lip but then again so did the Other hub whose seal allowed grease to come through when full. And no, the rear bearing in the problem hub has a traditional metal cage on the balls- no seal that would have further impeded grease travel .

So I remain stymied -my only remaining guess, and I'm not willing to take apart the other hub to look at it., is that although both of the inboard seals on these hubs have an embossing pattern used by Harwal, one is a different pattern versus the other- possibly indicating an older batch with the stiffer springs or rubber , or sourced to OEM vendors to Harwal

Bottom line if grease doesn't come out the rear and you're getting a whole ton of it squeezing out the other end you know you're building up pressure inside that that is more than you want to run with- first sign of being full-stop and be happy (even tho that shit shoulda come out both seals like the other hub#%)

Jon March

And a tip yesterday on this from Gerry Obara in Mass:
carefully put a toothpick or other pointy-thing to carefully lift the lip of the inside seal to help let grease come thru.

Jon March

So im getting different opinions. My springs are indeed facing out on the inside hubs. But i was told that may people insist on the outer seals with the springs facing in - to prevent grease from coming into the brake shows area when the hubs are re-greased. Made sense from a contamination/safety angle - thoughts?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Water/land tranny seal Restorations in progress 15
B door seal test Restorations in progress 1
R hood seal on the body General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March Seal types - good info General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March when driveshaft seal-areas corrode General Amphicar Discussion 18
T Rear Deck Lid Seal General Amphicar Discussion 4
T Door Seal Question? General Amphicar Discussion 5
T Propeller Shaft Seal Installation General Amphicar Discussion 22
G Double Lip Oil Seal General Amphicar Discussion 1
D Trans seal General Amphicar Discussion 1
G door seal update General Amphicar Discussion 5
T Front wheel seal: Spring facing in or out? General Amphicar Discussion 4
W seal replacement General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Front Wheel: Seal Install Problem General Amphicar Discussion 2
D rear engine seal General Amphicar Discussion 3
D Original replacement transmission seal discussion General Amphicar Discussion 0
B gas shut off seal disk General Amphicar Discussion 4
E Front Wheel Grease Seal General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Cable cover and cheep tailpipe pipe seal General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Transmission Seal General Amphicar Discussion 6
G Seal between water and land trans General Amphicar Discussion 7
A Front wheel bearing seal General Amphicar Discussion 2
M New door area seam seal mouldings from Hugh. How to install?? General Amphicar Discussion 4
A Window Seal Track needed. General Amphicar Discussion 0
B rear axel seal replacement General Amphicar Discussion 0
B transmission axel seal replacement General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Double lip seal General Amphicar Discussion 5
J Rear Wheel Bearing Seal Orientation General Amphicar Discussion 1
T seal puller/prop removal General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Exhaust Seal General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Transmission Oil Seal General Amphicar Discussion 0