Scammer hitting our clubs adds

jwillia

Member
I have been recently been contacted by a scammer claiming to have amphicar parts. He sent me picks of a car on ebay being sold by drake1953 claiming he is parting it out. Does anyone have any suggestions of how best to deal with this guy. I would like to at least make things rough for him if I could.

Thanks Jeff Williams Red 1962


Re: http://www.amphicar.com/ads_fs_wtb_svs.htm‏
From:<IMG id=P___1182316095 style="DISPLAY: none" webimdisplayStyle="inline"> randi willson (randiwillson111@googlemail.com) Sent:Thu 11/06/08 9:17 PMTo: Jeffrey Williams (jeffreyd_7@hotmail.com)
7 attachment(s) Amphicar ...JPG (16.9 KB), Amphicar ...JPG (22.9 KB), Amphicar ...JPG (21.3 KB), Amphicar ...JPG (13.8 KB), Amphicar ...JPG (26.7 KB), Amphicar ...JPG (28.1 KB), Amphicar ...JPG (29.1 KB)


Thanks for your email,i attached pics of my Amphicar convertible,i am
selling the complete car as parts,since you are in need of the top
frame header,asking price 120 pounds ,and as soon as i get your
interest,i will call my mechanic to get the top frame header, i will
need your complete home address to calculate the shipping cost to your
doorstep thanks and let me know if you need more parts for your
Amphicar , Thanks and hope hearing from you soon


Amphicar convertible.JPG
 

awoodc

Amphicar Expert
Jeff, Take a look at IC3.gov - it is the U S Gov't website for internet fraud. They may be able to help.
Allan
'66 red
 

Ed Price

Member
_____

From: awoodc [mailto:]
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 9:35 AM
To: edprice@cox.net
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20234] Re: Scammer hitting our
clubs adds


Jeff, Take a look at IC3.gov - it is the U S Gov't website for internet
fraud. They may be able to help.
Allan
'66 red



Offer him triple what he's asking, but tell him you have your heart set only
on the coupe model, nothing else will do.

Ed Price
El Cajon, CA USA
61 Rust Guppy
 

Bilgemaster

Member
Well, the first thing we can do is forward all of the spam and other
other unsolicited crap received and filtered by the amphicar.net
domain, hundreds of craptastic offers daily, directly to that
randiwillson111@googlemail.com email account of his. That should
slow him down a bit, especially if he's logging in from some flyblown
dialup Internet cafe in Lagos, which seems likely given the
outlandish grammar of his message.

Rest assured that as I write this, "Randi" is already enjoying a huge
buffet of steaming electronic ordure.

If you can post the full header from his message to you, that would
be swell. It will have all the Internet routings and so forth,
including enough info to figure out where "Randi" calls home.
Instructions on how to do this for whatever email program you use can
be found at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

And in case you were wondering, why yes, I do take it sort of
personally when spammers and scammers mess with Amphicar folks.

Regards,
Bilgey

On Nov 8, 2008, at 10:37 AM, jwillia wrote:


> I have been recently been contacted by a scammer claiming to have
> amphicar parts. He sent me picks of a car on ebay being sold by
> drake1953 claiming he is parting it out. Does anyone have any
> suggestions of how best to deal with this guy. I would like to at
> least make things rough for him if I could.
>
> Thanks Jeff Williams Red 1962
>
>
> Re: http://www.amphicar.com/ads_fs_wtb_svs.htmâ€Â
> From: randi willson (randiwillson111@googlemail.com) Sent:Thu
> 11/06/08 9:17 PMTo: Jeffrey Williams (******)7 attachment(s)
> Amphicar ...JPG (16.9 KB), Amphicar ...JPG (22.9 KB),
> Amphicar ...JPG (21.3 KB), Amphicar ...JPG (13.8 KB),
> Amphicar ...JPG (26.7 KB),Amphicar ...JPG (28.1 KB),
> Amphicar ...JPG (29.1 KB)
>
>
> Thanks for your email,i attached pics of my Amphicar convertible,i am
> selling the complete car as parts,since you are in need of the top
> frame header,asking price 120 pounds ,and as soon as i get your
> interest,i will call my mechanic to get the top frame header, i will
> need your complete home address to calculate the shipping cost to your
> doorstep thanks and let me know if you need more parts for your
> Amphicar , Thanks and hope hearing from you soon
>
>
> Amphicar convertible.JPG
>
>
>
 

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Tou can also have fun stringing them along.* Tell him you are interested in his car, parts, whatever.* When he says he has what you are looking for, act really interested but then force him to respond to lots of questions about the metal alloys, is it early or late generation, etc.* Ask him to send you pictures.*

He will want payment by Western Union.* Tell him you have sent it and he can go get the money.* When he says there was a problem, go to one of the scambait sithes where you can get a fake Western Union receipt and email him that.* Apologize that you mistyped the number the forst time and that he can now go pick up his money.

If enough people waste his time, he will find that Amphicars are not a good scam target.

Some good scam-baiting sites include:
http://www.419eater.com/
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200706/cyberscam
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Hitting the road! General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Clubs Vice President-Wall Street Journal General Amphicar Discussion 1
Similar threads


Top