Rotisserie Question

PeterP

For those who have put their cars on a rotisserie for restoration:

Is it a good idea to weld a metal brace across the door opening to prevent the body from flexing, or are the frame rails strong enough on their own?

I was looking at Dave's rollover frame as well as a few of the more standard ones, and I did not see any bracing, but it's possible it just wasn't there in the picture...

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
I have a sturdy piece of angle iron fastened across my door openings while the car is apart. If you look at the "Eastwood" catalogue you can see their fancy door brace with turnbuckles to be used on convertibles.
Ted

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
Before the car is off the Hoist and on the rotiserie I weld a angle Iron across the top of the door and a angle braket up to the top of the weindsheild, I bolt ot on and use the holes for the visor at top.it is very important that the wiondsheild frame is exactly in the right place or top and doors will not line up and it moves out of line very easy!
GORD.Canadian 4 amphs

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
You need to connect top of doors and an x inside too. Another place for some angle iron is in back along the horizontal bumper floor. When trays and qtrs are rusted or cut this area likes to drop. You can extend radiator support out towards back to find proper lines if drooping has already begun. Later Dave the Wave

PeterP

Thanks all. I'm still trying to decide how far I want to go with this thing. Also, I'm not entirely certain that my garage is tall enough to hold the Amphicar on it's side!

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
You should just come up here a day early for Sabula swim in. Learn a lot and then go out and play with Us. I thought Your car was fairly rust free? Later Dave