rhino lining

dougn200

i know this probably has been discussed before but has anyone put in the Rhino lining into the engine area or on the bottom of the car if so how has it worked out, If any else has an opinion feel free to give it

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
I have used a product called GATOR GUARDII whith very good results, it come in black or whiter.
I use white then add a cosentrate of colour to match colour of car I am doing. sray on lightly with a shoots gun then paint interior metal, looks like original.
GORD

LSolheim

I did the bottom of MetalBeast, back in 2001, Doug (good to hear from you,
BTW). Seemed fine. I've heard concerns from others that if it chips or
cracks it could become a trap for water against the hull, but improperly
prepared/applied paint could do that too. I thought the added thickness
could add a level of protection and a further barrier against pinholes.
Unfortunately I lost track of her after she sold in 2002.

--Larry

Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:48 PM
To: lrsnpark@gmail.com
Subject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20401] rhino lining

i know this probably has been discussed before but has anyone put in the
Rhino lining into the engine area or on the bottom of the car if so how has
it worked out, If any else has an opinion feel free to give it

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
How about the guy that was at My Swim In on Rock River. Door seals fell off and he nearly sunk his car. Car was brought here and I pushed on floor and an area nearly two feet long gave way. The heavy plastic coating on bottom gave no indication of damage growing above. Later Dave the Wave

chasgould

I would NEVER apply Rhino lining to an Amphicar. I would fear a moisture barrier and trap between the vynle or plastic material and the steel hull, which would result in rust through very quickly. I would also fear delamination of the lining which could allow water entry and entrapment between these surfaces. Finally, as Dave stated, there would be no warning or indication of failure until it was too late. The problem stems from the fact that these products are so strong and good at what they were intended to do, that these same characteristics can act as a detriment to an Amphicar hull as they don't let the moisture out.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Chas

How about the guy that was at My Swim In on Rock River. Door seals fell off and he nearly sunk his car. Car was brought here and I pushed on floor and an area nearly two feet long gave way. The heavy plastic coating on bottom gave no indication of damage growing above. Later Dave the Wave

cigarman

Amphicar Expert
3M™ Rocker Panel Spray, 05910, Tan, 18 oz Net Wt/510g

I use this and it is fantastic!!! You prime metal/old finish with epoxy primer then spray rocker coating to your desired look, Shoot a thin primer coat over the coating then paint...
It is a paintable coating in aerosol can specially formulated to match the medium to coarse texture of factory-applied textured coating on the stone-throw areas of automobiles.

Cigarman