Restoration time/Gord Souter/Reserve tank?

B

Bihari, James

<table>
I only bought a few things from Gord but my experience has been good. I emailed him a question a couple
of days ago and he promptly responded. (a story--I had bought those longer bolts for the front transmission mounts, but the nut came off and the driver's side mount and the original mount had come apart where the rubber meets the metal. So I just double nutted the longer bolt from Gord thinking all would be fine. I drove down the road only to find I couldn't shift into 3rd or 4th. Then I realized that I had made the
nuts on the bolt from Gord too tight and drew down the driver's side of the transmission enough that the shifter couldn't rotate that far to get into 3rd or 4th. I loosened them and it shifts fine now. Use double nuts on those bolts so they don't come off and your original mount doesn't tear. I guess I still need to buy a transmission mount now though it seems like the bolt from Gord would hold it just fine.)

As far as how long the restoration takes I think that depends on what condition you car was in and how much time you have and what makes you happy. I bought mine on ebay last year. In 3 long weekends, my Dad and I had taken everything off the body but the wheels. The paint shop removed the wheels and put the body on a rotisserie and took about 6 weeks to strip and paint it. My Dad and I spent another 6 weekends or so putting it all back together. It worked fine on it's first splash-in and 100 mile trip, but
on the second day of driving it, the engine died due to holes in the tops of 2 of the pistons pushing all the oil out of the crankcase. So the engine came back out and we it tookaplace who took 9 months to get around to rebuilding the engine (which only took a couple weeks once they actually did it). That was June of this year. The only thing we had done to the transmission was drain it and put in new seals around the axle shafts. It worked great until a bearing in the water transmission started making noise. Leaving the transmission in the car, I pulled the front end off and put in several new bearings. All worked fine at Celina and other places, but now I find it's got a transmission leak somewhere, so I guess the transmssion will have to come back out because I can't figure out where it's leaking. By the way, I didn't jack the car up to put it in gear to look for leaks, I realized I could put it in the water and turn off the props and put it in 4th gear like I'm driving down the road. Fourth gear will propel it in the water a little, after having my head down in the transmssion for 10 minutes I was surprised how far I'd moved in the water! Still could not find where it was leaking from, but did see that one of the new rubber parking brake boots is leaking water through a cut. I think thatrestoration isalways a work in progress.But in the meantime,this afternoon I'm taking it to an optometry picnic with will give rides in the water to a bunch of folks.

"Anyone know how to fix fuel reserve tank switch that leaks from shaft/leverentry point?"

I never knew that the car had a reserve tank. Am I missing somethine? There was an unattached rod
coming through below the dash but I thought that was supposed to be connected to an additional gas shut off, which I figured I didn't need due to the solenoidgasoline shut off working fine. My car is a 64. Did later cars have a reserve tank or something?

Jim Bihari

J

John Friese

Hello Jim,

What you need to fix the leak is a replacement gasket that fits behind
the part of the valve that has the shaft connected to it and turns.
It's the only part for that valve that Hugh doesn't sell but I have
them. It's easy to replace but you must unscrew the valve from the
tank to work on it.

The car "reserves" the bottom two gallons of the main tank by
switching between two different pickup tubes that are set to pick up
from different heights in the tank.

I charge $15 each for them and accept checks or payment through Paypal.

I also sell the high performance clutch system and an improved bilge
plug for cars with late style (large) type plugs.

John Friese
242 E. Alamar Ave.
Santa Barbara, CA 93105

cell: 805-570-4778 (afternoons and evenings)

jfriese(at)mindspring.com

67 White
67 Red

--- In amphicar-lovers@yahoogroups.com, "Bihari, James" <jbihari@...>
wrote:

> "Anyone know how to fix fuel reserve tank switch that leaks from
shaft/lever
> entry point?"
>
> I never knew that the car had a reserve tank. Am I missing
somethine? There
> was an unattached rod