Removing Fin Molding

PeterP

I swear that someone recently posted a brief how-to on safely removing the chrome molding on the fins. I cannot seem to track it down. Could anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks!

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Peter,

I use a 2x2 piece of hardwood (Oak or walnut)cut at a slight angle. Place the knife edge under the trim and using a deadblow or plastic mallet (Rubber is too soft), strike it upwards starting on the front end loosen the trim slightly along the length. This will minimize the bends as you lift it off. Then go back and carefully tap it upwards until it releases from the fin. The tail end can be tricky, so take your time and you will stand a good chance on saving your moldings. Sometimes heat from a heat gun can help release the glue. Careful of your finish if that is a concern.

hadleyohlinger

John; I'm having trouble with somerear mouldings comming loose. You mentioned using heat to release glue. Can I reglue my moulding and if so what type of glue do you recommend?
Hadley

--- On Sat, 8/9/08, CapnJohn <> wrote:

Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20108] Re: Removing Fin Molding
To: hadleyohlinger@yahoo.ca
Received: Saturday, August 9, 2008, 5:24 PM

Peter,

I use a 2x2 piece of hardwood (Oak or walnut)cut at a slight angle. Place the knife edge under the trim and using a deadblow or plastic mallet (Rubber is too soft), strike it upwards starting on the front end loosen the trim slightly along the length. This will minimize the bends as you lift it off. Then go back and carefully tap it upwards until it releases from the fin. The tail end can be tricky, so take your time and you will stand a good chance on saving your moldings. Sometimes heat from a heat gun can help release the glue. Careful of your finish if that is a concern.

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Hadley -

I use a thin bead placed inside the molding 1st of 3M trim adhesive. Black or yellow will work. Be careful not to use too much or you will have a mess and make it hard to get them off again w/o severe damage.

Clean up excess with "Goof off" or similar product while it's still pliable otherwise when hardnened it is a pain to remove.

PeterP

Peter,

Thanks John! I'll try and take a lot of pictures as I do this and write it up for a howto.

Peter