Red Trim

azpaul50

I was wondering who might have the red components for a World's Fair clone Amphi? I took mine out for a swim to see if hauling the trailer hurt hull integrity (it didn't) and noticed that the red rubber side trim is losing it's "redness." After swims in Colorado, here, and California I suspect the water alkalinity is leeching the color. On mine, even the door handle pads are red (really a burgundy) and are wearing out. I took a new set of door handle pads and tried "molecubond" paint on them and it barely sticks. I'm talking these pads, side rubber trims (3 pieces per side), stern rubber trim, and on mine, a red exhaust gasket. Eventually, a red convertible top might also be in order. Gord? Also, someone from Canada has inquired about buying my blue Amphi. How does the paperwork, taxation work? - azpaul50 (fading fast!)

azpaul50

By the way, those door pads were molded. I had thought about cutting up a burgundy floor mat but that won't help with side trim. Brenda and I are cooked from this morning's ride to Kingman and Oatman... time to get some rest for tonight! So far, nobody has shot anyone here that I know of! lolol...

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I can have Red cloth (world fair style) tops Drop shipped to you or anywhere in USA,(Small fee)
I have one on my whire amphi, klook great and easyer to put up and down!
I also have a few NOS RED rear bumper strips,, but I find there over 40 years old and start to crack at the bends very quickly
To Import a Amphicar to Canada, the buyer need proof of sale price(EG, book it was listed for sale,Bill from you, your info,)They will have to pay all taxes at the border.
GORD S.

cigarman

Amphicar Expert
Paul,
I have a part#12-46-16a Red sealing underlayer rubber strip. it is enough to do only one side. No idea what happened to the other side. If you need it let me know..

Take care, John

azpaul50

It is the rubber insert(s) that slides into the metal trim holders I mean. I think you mean the base trim piece that actually goes against the car. On mine, that is also burgundy but is holding its color better than the insert rubbers. Meanwhile, I had an empihany that the rubber was dyed and therefore prone to leeching. After researching, it seems that there is indeed rubber "dye" but the descriptions lead me to believe that they are variations of the molecubond I tried on the door handle pads. That didn't work and they have peeled a little already.

azpaul50

I think you mean the strip that actually goes onto the car surface. What is fading is the red insert rubber that slides into the side molding tray(s). The base strips (I think are more plastic than rubber) along the car are holding their color okay... but all around, the rubber stuff is turning pink! Do you know who/when the original run of these materials came about?

Got home yesterday after an extra day in Laughlin. We got up there Friday and somebody didn't bring the helmets! NV is a helmet state where Arizona isn't. So, we didn't actually ride until Sunday morning when friends left us their helmets and left in their RV. The Riverside RV park has a tram so we simply rode down to hotel row, day and evening, and walked through hundreds of vendors and untold sights of interest. For anyone interested in such events, it seemed like attendance was down this year along with the number of vendors. Brenda won $60 on slots and bing, bang, boom...another River Run is history!

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20755] Re: Red Trim
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:08:45 -0400

Paul,
I have a part#12-46-16a Red sealing underlayer rubber strip. it is enough to do only one side. No idea what happened to the other side. If you need it let me know..

Take care, John

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Red rubber side and bumper moldings are UV sensitive. You might try an RV supplier and getting a red plastic insert. Or red shoe shine? Later Dave

azpaul50

I'm sure you are right and the Arizona sun is unrelenting, especially here although the car is usually covered. Our Chamber of Commerce usually argues with the City of El Paso as to who has the most cloudless days. We say 309 and they say 310 then we say 311 and so forth...lolol. There are ways to temporarily make them look better for maybe a car show. I was looking ahead for a complete spare set should I later decide to sell it... something like that. Meanwhile (for Gord), I changed that left red/white door panel using the set you sent me and it worked great! The doors are all readjusted and close perfectly! As for the red door handle pads, that molecubond spray definitely didn't work. It pretty much all came off during handling. Some way, some how it has to be some sort of dye. The trim had to come from somewhere????

To: azpaul50@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20755] Re: Red Trim
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 07:58:30 -0400

Red rubber side and bumper moldings are UV sensitive. You might try an RV supplier and getting a red plastic insert. Or red shoe shine? Later Dave