Rear Deck Lid Fit?

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
I just finished installing my rear deck lid and ran into a minor problem with interference from my air cleaner. The deck lid rod hits the air cleaner when the lid is opened and the pole light bracket hits the air cleaner when the lid is closed. :032: Looks like the culprit is the "spark arrestor" raising the air cleaner high enough to hit both the rod and light bracket.
Any suggestions????
Thanks,
Ted

Attachments

• Amph Air.JPG
    Amph Air.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Amph Lt Brack.JPG
    Amph Lt Brack.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 62

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
Ted,

All the light pole brackets I've seen are tapered which is necessary for proper air cleaner clearance with the spark arrestor in installed. I've always been curious just how much clearance there really is so performed a simple experiment tonight. I stuck a glob of soft (plumbers) putty on the air cleaner, closed the lid then measured the distance from the indentation to the air cleaner housing. It measured about .65 inches. The bent tip of the deck lid rod is about 3/8" from the front side of the air cleaner housing. Because the top of the air cleaner is so high up, incorrect engine and transmission mount heights can affect that clearance. I'll try to attach pictures. Note serial number on the tapered bracket (320 as in 100320).

Best,
Ken Chambers, CA

Attachments

• CIMG4312.jpg
    CIMG4312.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 57
  • CIMG4313.jpg
    CIMG4313.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 53
  • CIMG4315.jpg
    CIMG4315.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 53

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
My pole light bracket is definitely not tapered although original on my 1964 Amphicar. All engine and transmission mounts are brand new, so those should not be my problem.
Looks like I'll have to taper my light pole bracket and remove some of the tip of my decklid support rod. I just hate messing up nice new paint.
Ted

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
Ted,

Your light pole bracket looks unlike any I've seen. Perhaps others know better. That bracket is one of the locations for the stamped-in serial number. Your bracket may have been replaced at some point in the past. How about these for wild ideas: Is your car very early? Might spark arrestors have been required after the first few cars were built and the bracket had to be tapered. Some countries didn't require spark arrestors as I recall. Might you have a car built for a non-American market? Again, don't know how true that can be either. Doesn't seem plausible there would be different style deck hoods for that purpose.

Check your spark arrestor to make sure it is sitting flat and not pushed out of alignment by a set screw. Check the carb base. I've seen mounting flanges bent down from over-tightening on the thick insulating gasket. If so, don't try bending them back or they'll brake. Sand them flat. Instead of cutting the lid support rod, you might try tapering the thick gasket to cant the carb rearward. Depending on the source, brand new engine and transmission mounts aren't an absolute guarantee of correct height.

Good luck,
Ken

On Aug 26, 2010, at 9:09 PM, Tedredamphi wrote:

> My pole light bracket is definitely not tapered although original on my 1964 Amphicar. All engine and transmission mounts are brand new, so those should not be my problem.
> Looks like I'll have to taper my light pole bracket and remove some of the tip of my decklid support rod. I just hate messing up nice new paint.
> Ted

jfriese

Ted,

The spark arrestor is something that the Coast Guard required but Amphicars originally weren't designed for them. Light pole brackets I've seen have a section trimmed off to allow for clearance. Your lid brace is quite a bit longer than those on my cars. This shortened length is probably also necessary because the air cleaner is higher. Perhaps your car is a really early one, before the Coast Guard forced the changes, or it was originally a non U.S. car.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

hadleyohlinger

Ted;* I have th exact same problem.* Now with me repainting along with some body work, I am shortening the bracket by 1/4 inch. This will still allow the pole light to work.* The arm to hold up the lid is another matter. Still working on it.
Hadley** 61 white amphi

--- On Thu, 8/26/10, Ken Chambers <> wrote:

Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20869] Re: Rear Deck Lid Fit?
To: hadleyohlinger@yahoo.ca
Received: Thursday, August 26, 2010, 11:12 PM

Ted,

Your light pole bracket looks unlike any I've seen. Perhaps others know better. That bracket is one of the locations for the stamped-in serial number. Your bracket may have been replaced at some point in the past. How about these for wild ideas: Is your car very early? Might spark arrestors have been required after the first few cars were built and the bracket had to be tapered. Some countries didn't require spark arrestors as I recall. Might you have a car built for a non-American market? Again, don't know how true that can be either. Doesn't seem plausible there would be different style deck hoods for that purpose.

Check your spark arrestor to make sure it is sitting flat and not pushed out of alignment by a set screw. Check the carb base. I've seen mounting flanges bent down from over-tightening on the thick insulating gasket. If so, don't try bending them back or they'll brake. Sand them flat. Instead of cutting the lid support rod, you might try tapering the thick gasket to cant the carb rearward. Depending on the source, brand new engine and transmission mounts aren't an absolute guarantee of correct height.

Good luck,
Ken

On Aug 26, 2010, at 9:09 PM, Tedredamphi wrote:

Quote:

> My pole light bracket is definitely not tapered although original on my 1964 Amphicar. All engine and transmission mounts are brand new, so those should not be my problem.
> Looks like I'll have to taper my light pole bracket and remove some of the tip of my decklid support rod. I just hate messing up nice new paint.
> Ted

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
I'm getting ready to trim my light pole bracket. Was wondering if most were trimmed like Ken's at an angle both front and back or ???? My bracket is stamped with ID number, but it is not the same as my vehicle ID. Guess my hood was replaced and spark arrestor removed at one time.
Later,
Ted

jfriese

Here's the way that my two cars pole braces were cut. I didn't do it so it must have been done by the factory. Just grind the hood brace a bit shorter to fix that problem. Both my cars have been upgraded to 1296 engines so the "fit" issues aren't the same for me nowadays.

John Friese

67 White
67 Red

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
Ted,

I never paid much attention to those light pole brackets before but found something interesting. I just examined them on all three of my cars. While a cursory look might lead one to think they're the same they are, in fact, a real hack job. On my three brackets, the bottom horizontal edge ranges in length from 2.3 to 2.6", the vertical edge .7 to 1.5" and the diagonal edge 1.7 to 2.5". One of the cuts can be seen where apparently it was cut far enough and the piece was flexed until broken off, leaving a 1/4" length of sharp metal protruding inward on the bracket. All the cuts are skewed several degrees across the bracket, perhaps on purpose or maybe just sloppy work. All three are early cars falling in the serial number range of 100299 to 100336. I'd like to think this craftsmanship came from the dealers and not the factory. I see the cut on John's bracket is squared off rather than diagonal. All this does seem to support the theory that the flame arrestor requirement came about early on and the dealer made it work under the hood.

My air cleaner housing does have wear spots that were painted over and appears to have previously rubbed on the bracket. Bad engine/transmission mounts with a little engine torque could certainly cause that to happen.

So I wouldn't be too concerned about making a "correct" cut. Apparently the dealer didn't.

---Ken Chambers

On Aug 27, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Tedredamphi wrote:

> I'm getting ready to trim my light pole bracket. Was wondering if most were trimmed like Ken's at an angle both front and back or ???? My bracket is stamped with ID number, but it is not the as my vehicle ID. Guess my hood was replaced and spark arrestor removed at one time.
> Later,
> Ted

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Just finished doing surgery on my light pole bracket and deck lid rod. Now they look just like Ken's. Still have to bring in the painter (me) to do some touch-up, but now I'm past this hurdle.
Thanks for the help guys.
Ted Matthews

Attachments

• Amp rrdeck 002.JPG
    Amp rrdeck 002.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Amp rrdeck 005.JPG
    Amp rrdeck 005.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 35

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
The bracket angle looks better than what the factory or dealer did. Nice work.

---Ken

On Aug 27, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Tedredamphi wrote:

> Just finished doing surgery on my light pole bracket and deck lid rod. Now they look just like Ken's. Still have to bring in the painter (me) to do some touch-up, but now I'm past this hurdle.
> Thanks for the help guys.
> Ted Matthews
>
> Attached to this message is Amp rrdeck 002.JPG
>
> Attached to this message is Amp rrdeck 005.JPG
>
>

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
I have also seen many Air breathers that have a flat notch cut into the back to acomidate the raised Carburator, as well as notch in pole lite support
I plan on doing a article for Amphicar fixes and one great one that Ron T thought up was to weld a Allan wrench to the clamp to hold air breather on. Instead of reaching in under there with a screwdriver, you just turn the allan wrench.
GORD S,.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Rear Deck Lid Seal General Amphicar Discussion 4
azpaul50 People on Rear Deck General Amphicar Discussion 3
DougFromBaltimore Amphicar - Servicing Rear Brakes without removing hubs and tip for attaching springs General Amphicar Discussion 9
S Rear Amphicar Shocks w/Small Diameter Spring - Rear Spring Specs? General Amphicar Discussion 2
SNOWBIRD Rear quarter repairs. General Amphicar Discussion 7
peterboz Rear wheel hub General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March Amphi rear driveshaft & axle detail - Youtube video General Amphicar Discussion 3
SNOWBIRD Rear Axle repairs General Amphicar Discussion 1
SNOWBIRD Rear Hub repairs General Amphicar Discussion 0
DougFromBaltimore Rear Bumper Plastic Strip - How to remove it? General Amphicar Discussion 4
D Rear axles General Amphicar Discussion 1
W Having trouble finding outer boots for my Amphicar with Eddie Dillard rear axles. General Amphicar Discussion 12
peterboz reflectors rear General Amphicar Discussion 6
Jon March Rear driveshaft & axle-assembly photo General Amphicar Discussion 0
Cameron in UK That short rear brake shoe. General Amphicar Discussion 27
Jon March rear hub torque: 75? 150? 250ftlb? General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March anyone have this rear hub tool? General Amphicar Discussion 5
mschlem Rear Driveshaft yokes General Amphicar Discussion 13
Kruser Rear seat room General Amphicar Discussion 6
LSolheim Rear Axle Nut General Amphicar Discussion 2
LSolheim Rear Wheel Play General Amphicar Discussion 6
okey0 Rear Flex Brake Hose General Amphicar Discussion 0
mschlem Rear Bearings... General Amphicar Discussion 4
T Rear Bumper Molding General Amphicar Discussion 7
SNOWBIRD Rear Axles General Amphicar Discussion 0
M Rear axles General Amphicar Discussion 0
R rear hub replacing tips/tricks General Amphicar Discussion 7
Akamphi Rear quarter panel photos General Amphicar Discussion 5
A Rear Axle U Joints - Bilge Pump Kit General Amphicar Discussion 0
S Rear Axle U-Joint? General Amphicar Discussion 6
C HELPPPP...Looking for good rear window frames General Amphicar Discussion 1
J Rear axle cover replacements ? General Amphicar Discussion 14
J What is the right material to fill rear fenders ? General Amphicar Discussion 6
G Rear wheel cylinder dimensions General Amphicar Discussion 6
A Rear View Mirrors Are Back General Amphicar Discussion 3
A Rear View Mirrors Are Back! Ii General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Rear View Mirrors Are Back! General Amphicar Discussion 0
kdroy Amphicar Rear qtrs by Dave General Amphicar Discussion 3
J Rear brake cable mount on backing plate General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Amphicar Rear Axle U-joints Late Style General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Rear Axle U-joints Now On Ebay General Amphicar Discussion 6
Tom Laferriere Rear Seat Belt Installation General Amphicar Discussion 6
DavidC Rear hub nut tightness questions. General Amphicar Discussion 8
T Rear Reflector Question?? General Amphicar Discussion 2
auburnamphi Rear Axle General Amphicar Discussion 1
S Rear Dust / Grease Axle Caps General Amphicar Discussion 8
R Rear Wheel Hub Wanted General Amphicar Discussion 2
R Rear floating seat cushion General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Body Part (Rear Engine area) replacement General Amphicar Discussion 1
C Rear horizontal bumper panel repair & Skid plate questions General Amphicar Discussion 1