Radiator Upgrade?

SNKR770

Giving it cost nearly as much to buy a new radiator as it does to have them recored, is there a upgrade to the original that people are using? ie Aluminum? Direct fit? Car seems to be running hotter than in past years.

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Test your guage,Using an hand held temp. sensor read the water temp. at the rad intake, and out takes, and the block,
I have tested them and found there close to 160 at the themostate. hotter at intake and cooler at out takes.
I have a few used rads, but have thought of getting a quote on making new Alu. ones, But am sure they would be expensive cause of low number to be custom made and odd shape,.

strandweiss62

I did rebuild my radiator with a new modern brass core with 30 percent better performance. Car runs cooler. But Germany is, besides this summer, not a real hot country.

Peter

jfriese

I had an aluminum radio built a few years ago for an engine that was running really hot. It cost about $600 and still didn't fix the problem. The engine was the problem since it had been rebuilt with extremely high compression. A new head fixed that problem.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

strandweiss62

Wikipedia says:
Up to the 1980s, radiator cores were often made of a copper (for fins) and brass (for tubes, headers, side-plates, while tanks could be made also of brass or of plastic, often a polyamide). Starting in the 1970s, use of aluminium increased to take over the vast majority of vehicular applications. The main drivers for aluminum are reduced weight and cost. However, the superior cooling properties of Copper-Brass over Aluminium makes it preferential for high performance vehicles or stationary applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiator#Engine_cooling

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jon March radiator cowl question General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Aliminum radiator info... General Amphicar Discussion 1
B SV: Electric Radiator Fan General Amphicar Discussion 3
G Electric Radiator Fan General Amphicar Discussion 1
B seatbelts idea; radiator, engine and transmission for sale General Amphicar Discussion 0
J Radiator General Amphicar Discussion 9
A Radiator shrouds General Amphicar Discussion 4
W Radiator Performance General Amphicar Discussion 3
M RADIATOR OVERFLOW JUGS General Amphicar Discussion 2
L Radiator Hoses General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Radiator Top Seals General Amphicar Discussion 2
A Radiator Problem General Amphicar Discussion 14
A Radiator Mounts General Amphicar Discussion 0
M 13 blade radiator fan? General Amphicar Discussion 1
A Radiator Mount General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Substitute for Radiator Mount General Amphicar Discussion 4
A Radiator Repair General Amphicar Discussion 6
E Radiator Marking Plate General Amphicar Discussion 0
B Radiator " Birthmark" ? General Amphicar Discussion 0
R Radiator Cap General Amphicar Discussion 0
T radiator rubber (buffer) mount substitute 9-30-38 General Amphicar Discussion 1
P cautionary tale (my engine upgrade experience) General Amphicar Discussion 14
P Starter Upgrade General Amphicar Discussion 5
mike_israel Amphicar-Lovers Upgrade General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Clunking - Brace - Parts Manual CD Upgrade General Amphicar Discussion 0