Question for anyone using Universal Tire American Classics "bias-look" radials

Jon March

There are some loose sand beaches in the area where i want to swim, and i want to be able to crawl up out of the water onto these areas where the sand can sometimes be less than hardpacked.

185 or 175 radial tires are probably best for this need. I love the appearance on the American Classics whitewalls, but i would like to chat with an actual owner of them to discuss how they behave when the going gets mushy to see if they can vouch for how much the sidewalls "flex", rather than dig a rut in loose conditions

Know anyone with them?

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Tead is very smooth, would not have much grip on a slippery ramp!
But neither were the Original tires Note the front TOW brackets bolted on(silver)

tirescarb cable 007.JPG

tirescarb cable 009.JPG

Jon March

Thanks for the close-ups Gord. Those are the American Classics "bias-look" / pie-crust -corner radials from Coker. Coker owns the molds, and has SpecialtyTire of America in western PA manufacture them for Coker. Coker also lets Universal Tire offer them for sale as well. These are the tires that the Boathouse Amphis chose and they look great, but as you say - Disney ramps are the cleanest youll find! I think the loose sandbar sand that I often encounter in Maine has helped me steer toward Silvertowns which have more contact-area and a grippier tread. Im just gunshy as to 175 vs 185,,,

Last edited:

jfriese

My experience with Silvertown 185's is they didn't come close to fitting. Way too wide at the center width.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

Jon March

Thanks John - I spoke to Coker who makes the Silvertowns - the rep said that every 5 years or so that they send in the molds to be "refreshed" .This interested me because some (including GI) have said that theyve seen instances where 185's have fit...and other have not. Im not sure, tho, if the people saying that were talking apples and apples - or Dayton vs BFG, etc. At some point, people who work on Amphis should get very accurate (early & late / early/late/aftermarket spring) wheel well measurements =- to help us all understand the maximum section/bulge width we need to stay within to avoid spacers.
Gord has said that the 175's look small in diameter- and i agree that they certainly aint no 640 13's! The American Classic bias-look 650r13 radials are tall and thin like originals, but the tread is too summer-season for crawling on tricky exits or sand. 185's seem to have worked for some in the past - but sometimes they need spacers i guess?

Last edited:

jfriese

Jon,

The Silvertowns that I had were made by BF Goodrich and that was one of their brand labels. They may be different now but they were impossible to fit when I bought some 185's a few years ago.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red