Propeller

dutchamphi

Proud Sponsor of the Amphicar Digest
Only 5 years old and completely destroyed. It took a while to get out of the water. But have a good look at the fracture. The propeller has been deterioating slowly from inside out. You can see the dirt and grease ingress on the propeller.
So I think that everyone who uses the new propeller from Gordon should take it off the shaft image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg for a thorough inspection.

Last edited:

jfriese

It looks like the shaft rusted, swelled and broke the hub. Rust is a powerful force and plastic doesn't like a constant distorting pressure. I've used some new Gordon props since they first came out with no problem.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

strandweiss62

I did not hear about this failure of the 60 years old original polyamide propellers. Seems only the new polypropylene propellers fail.

dutchamphi

Proud Sponsor of the Amphicar Digest
Your car had original props on it when you bought it. Did you replace them with the new repros?
Yes I did. I went for the looks, not knowing of a history of failure. But I will refit the originals again.
At least I have learned how to do a "self-rescue". The failing prop was the right one, and I did understand from other postings that this is the most difficult situation you can get into.

Last edited:

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Know of 2 that blew apart on cars I have done(one while at Celina!)
Then there's the front shocks!