Propeller Shaft Seal Installation

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
:012: Does anyone have useful hints for installing the 3 seals in the propeller shafts? Hugh's instructions say to heat each in boiling water prior to installation to make them more pliable. That does seem to help, but these fit so tight that I've torn some on the outside edge and one on the inside lip. Is there any other source for these seals besides Hugh?
Thanks,
Ted

Or, does anyone rebuild these propellor shaft assemblies, (bearings and seals)? I have the parts and will be facing the same situation soon. Thanks, Jack

To: howland_3@hotmail.comSubject: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19904] Propeller Shaft Seal InstallationDate: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:10:55 -0400From:

Does anyone have useful hints for installing the 3 seals in the propeller shafts? Hugh's instructions say to heat each in boiling water prior to installation to make them more pliable. That does seem to help, but these fit so tight that I've torn some on the outside edge and one on the inside lip. Is there any other source for these seals besides Hugh?Thanks,Ted

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
That seal is a common size. I have seen those rock hard seals and will not use. Helpful hint buy a box of disposable gloves. Pay attention to direction of seals. Gord Souter likes to drill an additional hole for grease. I just pre pack tube with grease. Figure full tube per side. If You have to force it back together You are doing it wrong. On assembly You need to turn shaft as it enters bearing. **Funny memory** I really f'd up Cigar Guy.His shaft got rust and would not slide easily out of tube. I smacked with brass hammer. We put it back together and on his way he went. I put a bit of a mushroom on end of shaft, so after installing assembly in car, prop drive shaft would not slide on. Ooops! Stuff like that seems to happen when Guys want to "help" Me!! So trial fit parts before installation. Later Dave the Wave

cigarman

Amphicar Expert
Dave,
If you feel better blaming me for the reason you f@#%ed up on the propshaft and it helps you that's cool with me. However I helped you with the driveshafts (not propshaft) and had no problems putting those on my car, It was when I dropped the propshaft off to you when I was having the new engine in my car rebuilt and (You yourself) used the brass hammer and mushroomed the end. I tried for 4 hours to get the SOB back in, Finally I ground the edge beveled and sweat off 10 pounds and 4 calls later to Dave and problem solved. Dave said this never happened to him before. The moral of the story here is "Dont use any hammer except maybe rubber"
Cigarman

Midwest Amphicar

I never blamed You... But if You want Me to. Your soft worn shaft, that flattened with a little whacking. HA!

Hello amphi people: I know that some of you are good trans guys? I have a transmission question. I have a friend that rebuilds standard transmission all day long,
So i let him rebuild mine. He got it all done? new syncros, bearings,and seals
that i bought off Hugh. I watched him put it back together and everything looked right to me? when we put it back in the car, It went in all the gears but made alot of noise
and the car dose not want to move. The water trans was real quite and worked real well But the land trans i just don,t know???:(:(

To: pvcj@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19904] Re: Propeller Shaft Seal InstallationDate: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:26:06 -0400From:

That seal is a common size. I have seen those rock hard seals and will not use. Helpful hint buy a box of disposable gloves. Pay attention to direction of seals. Gord Souter likes to drill an additional hole for grease. I just pre pack tube with grease. Figure full tube per side. If You have to force it back together You are doing it wrong. On assembly You need to turn shaft as it enters bearing. **Funny memory** I really f'd up Cigar Guy.His shaft got rust and would not slide easily out of tube. I smacked with brass hammer. We put it back together and on his way he went. I put a bit of a mushroom on end of shaft, so after installing assembly in car, prop drive shaft would not slide on. Ooops! Stuff like that seems to happen when Guys want to "help" Me!! So trial fit parts before installation. Later Dave the Wave

PS: I BOUGHT ALL THE BEARING LOCALLY AND WAS NOT PART OF THE PRICE I PAID HUGH.
THANKS PAUL

To: pvcj@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19904] Re: Propeller Shaft Seal InstallationDate: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:47:33 -0400From:

First what was Your total for all the parts?

Midwest Amphicar

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure what I am charging is fair for a rebuild ($1800). I think You put axle in wrong. It is easier than You think. It will go part way in and feel like it is good, but it sits just out of carrier. All parts will assemble. All looks good but when You try to move...Sounds like a giant drill bit and little to no movement. Pull rubber boots back and inspect. Later Dave the Wave

Hello Dave: I talked to you last summer about rebuilding my trans? It was out of the car and on a small skid and wraped up to go to you, My friend came over and said he has a friend that all he dose all day long was rebuild standard trans and he will do it for free, All i had to do was buy the parts. I just should have stuck to my guns and sent it to you? but he talked me into it and look where i,m at!! I will look at the drive shafts and if thats not it,,, I will send it to you and not listen to my friend again. THANKS FOR THE INFO
SORRY FOR NOT JUST SENDING IT TO YOU?
PAUL

To: pvcj@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19904] Re: Propeller Shaft Seal InstallationDate: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:20:56 -0400From:

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure what I am charging is fair for a rebuild ($1800). I think You put axle in wrong. It is easier than You think. It will go part way in and feel like it is good, but it sits just out of carrier. All parts will assemble. All looks good but when You try to move...Sounds like a giant drill bit and little to no movement. Pull rubber boots back and inspect. Later Dave the Wave

Midwest Amphicar

I really think You will be ok. You have My number feel free to use it if You need help. If it is axle, inspect double lip seal. You may have knocked spring off, usually inside one. If axle did grind.Best to remove seal and clean metal debris. Use a file to de burr. When it came to Your choices, You picked a friend and You got to be part of the building process-all good choices.

Thanks Dave: This will be my project for the day, I will keep you posted. Thanks for
being a good guy about this;).

To: pvcj@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19904] Re: Propeller Shaft Seal InstallationDate: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 17:39:04 -0400From:

I really think You will be ok. You have My number feel free to use it if You need help. If it is axle, inspect double lip seal. You may have knocked spring off, usually inside one. If axle did grind.Best to remove seal and clean metal debris. Use a file to de burr. When it came to Your choices, You picked a friend and You got to be part of the building process-all good choices.

Hi Dave, I got your phone ,message and I am tempted to just send them to you to rebuild for me...one less project for me to do! Was the price of $150.00 for rebuilding the 2 of them? Thanks, jack

To: howland_3@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19904] Re: Propeller Shaft Seal InstallationDate: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:47:33 -0400From:

First what was Your total for all the parts?

Dave: I put the drive shafts in right and took it out for a ride, the trans dose not seem to be much quiter? but it sure dose down shift alot better with the new syncros. I
herd that some trans are just noisy?? Is that true or should i just take it out and send it to you?? It shifts and go,s good but 3rd & 4th only seems to be a little more quiter
than it was before.
Thanks for any help PAUL

To: pvcj@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19904] Re: Propeller Shaft Seal InstallationDate: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 17:39:04 -0400From:

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
:045:Somehow my Prop Shaft Seal Thread got turned into a discussion on transmissions! Anyway, I bought some new prop shaft seals(soft and workable) from a local bearing distributor. They went in just as easy as pie. I think the ones I bought from Gordon Imports must have been 40 year old original Amphicar parts(hard as a rock and not much better when boiled as instructed). I think I'll call Hugh and try to convince him to trash those old seals. I have extra seals if anyone is interested.
Ted

jwillia

I probably will be interested in those seals or the part number. I have some I bought from Hugh that I will probably have the same problem with. I will find out in the next couple weeks when I rebuild my prop shafts
Jeff

To: jeffreyd_7@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19904] Re: Propeller Shaft Seal InstallationDate: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 00:45:18 -0400From:

Somehow my Prop Shaft Seal Thread got turned into a discussion on transmissions! Anyway, I bought some new prop shaft seals(soft and workable) from a local bearing distributor. They went in just as easy as pie. I think the ones I bought from Gordon Imports must have been 40 year old original Amphicar parts(hard as a rock and not much better when boiled as instructed). I think I'll call Hugh and try to convince him to trash those old seals. I have extra seals if anyone is interested.Ted

Ted. I will take a set of 6 if you still have tgem. Email me directly at howland_3@hotmail.com Thanks, Jack

To: howland_3@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19904] Re: Propeller Shaft Seal InstallationDate: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 02:50:45 -0400From:

I probably will be interested in those seals or the part number. I have some I bought from Hugh that I will probably have the same problem with. I will find out in the next couple weeks when I rebuild my prop shafts JeffTo: jeffreyd_7@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-19904] Re: Propeller Shaft Seal InstallationDate: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 00:45:18 -0400From: Somehow my Prop Shaft Seal Thread got turned into a discussion on transmissions! Anyway, I bought some new prop shaft seals(soft and workable) from a local bearing distributor. They went in just as easy as pie. I think the ones I bought from Gordon Imports must have been 40 year old original Amphicar parts(hard as a rock and not much better when boiled as instructed). I think I'll call Hugh and try to convince him to trash those old seals. I have extra seals if anyone is interested.Ted

R

Ron Green

Why not post the part numbers so we all can buy and try them out?

Tedredamphi

Platinum Subscriber
Prop shaft seal part number is printed on shaft seal and in Amphicar parts manual. "25 x 52 x 10" is the part number which is also the metric size. Ordered mine through a bearing supply house. I think NAPA can also get them. I bought extras and will sell them at my cost of $6.50.
Ted