Probable scam

• Thread starter nelson625@aol.com
  • Start date
N

nelson625@aol.com

<table style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
I received an e-mail with the subject listed as <font size="3">Amphicar Patches in the 4 factory colors.</font><font size="2"> I presumed this was a bona fide Amphicar e-mail from an Amphicar Owner who had gone about having patches designed and fabricated as I did and that the sender was offering these patches for sale. Knowing the trouble I went to to obtaingood results with the patches I had made and have available, I was curious to see what kind of results or patches this person had. Surprise surprise. It was another e-mail similar to 2 or 3 that I have previously received, though none recently. The text of the message rather quickly indicates that something is not quite right - see for yourself: The e-mail address of the seller is non-descript and gives no hint of who or where he is.</font>

Hello and a very good day i am interested in buying your(Amphicar Patches in the 4 factory colors:) and i will like to know the last price so that i will be able to update you with my method of payment which certified money order. I hope to read from you asap, have a wonderful day. NATHAN......

The "asap" in the message tells you right away that he certainly must be a fellow countryman familiar with American colloquilisms ! The spacing and punctuation is as he sent it. Well, we all need a little humor in our lives and so he is adding to the supply.(I say he, but of course it could be from a female just as well. ) The first time or two, I sent a reply and of course never heard another word. The information he requests is all in the Amphicar Ad anyway as you all can see in the ads on our website. Hopefully this provided a little humor for some of you or maybe enlightened someone.

I have personally had two friends who had experience with scams involving antique vehicles - one for a Cushman Motor scooter and the other a 1955 Ford Crown Victoria. The gist of their schemes whichare the same as have been detailed in periodicals or on TV is that they send you a Cashier's Check for a few hundred dollars more than the Sale amount. Then on some concocted excuse ( My mother died, my brother changed his mind, etc. ) they write or contact the seller saying they cannot go through with the sale, but for the seller's trouble, please cash the check and keep the "overage" and sent the sale amount back to the intended buyer. The bank frewuently has some trouble as a rule, but on too many occasions has succeeded in verifying that the Cashier's Check is valid and cashes it. Subsequently, it develops that the Cashier's Check is indeed fraudulent. How this transpires, I have not figured out, but if the seller has sent most of the cash back to the prospective buyer, when the fraud is discovered, the seller is then responsible and must return the money to the bank. A variation of this theme which has been successfully perpetrated is that a proposed buyer for a valuable antique automobile pays for it with a Cashier's Check andthe seller managestogetit cashed and the buyer departs with the vehicle. Shortly thereafter, the seller learns that the check wasin fact notgood and he now owes a lot of money to the bank and no longer has the car ! Part of the reason the seller managed to cash it probably had to do with the seller being in good standing with the bank. Caveat emptor. It's a different world out there. There was s time when a Cashier's check was reliable, but not necesarily any more.
Vic "Captain Splash" Nelson