Possible Engine Conversion

AHite

I have a 1989 VW Camper. When its second engine crapped out I discover than many VW owners put Subaru 2.5L engines in their old vans. It took me a few months but the trouble was well worth it.
So, that got me thinking. If someone were going to replace the engine in an Amphicar what engine would be best? I know "best" is a loaded term where different interests would lead to very different solutions. But, if you were only interested in reliability, weight, and quietness, what engine would fit best?

Arnold in Charleston

amphigill

Arnold, I am building an Amphicar with a Toyota MR2 engine(twin cam 4 cyl) hooked to a VW bus trans, Gonna run hydrolic driven props with pump on engine. Drive train is mocked up,axels in, clutch hooked up, throttle in , waiting on $$$ for prop set up. Tom

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
I always liked the idea of a Honda Vtech. That would smoke the competition. Pics of Toms radical custom can be found at Hemmings site, search Amphicar in their blog area.
Later Dave

Craig Parada

Craig Parada
It's nice to know we have better choices of running gear than Cubans. The ability to triple the horsepower makes the already marginal suspension and brakes more than scary.

I like the concept of hydraulic-driven props or jet-drives to avoid all those seals. And there are many fine little diesels avaiable now, and those seem better for boats. Lengthening the hull (for better leg room and increased hull-speed), and so much more would be great for comfort, safety and performance, but that's what scratch-builts do.

Still. given the rarity of Amphicars, and the development of replica pieces, do we really need to bugger up any more Originals to create hotrods? It's your responsibility and right to do whatever feeds your needs, but I just can't cheer this.

Craig in Alviso, CA

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
Take a look at pic "how to dry an Amphicar". On a previous post. Taking an absolute rotted useless recyclable and making it an exciting exercise of imagination. Whats not to love? The "hot rod" I am building languished on the for sale section for almost a year. Destined to be a parts car. Hopefully soon to be driven. Plus the part I really like about custom .....My Gordons parts bill about $350. I hear the crowd cheering! Later Dave the Wave

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
Custom cars are a way that many that would otherwise be recycled and lost completely to have another life. Customs or "hot rods" are exciting and a well done one is art. There are so many Amphicars out there that having a few customs is very appealing to me. I have been setting aside parts for years now for mine. I have a vision and it will stand out even in a crowd of Amphicars.

I applaud Tom for his customs!!! Both Fin-Zilla and the Amphi-Baker were cars that were too far gone to restore economically. Dave's car is also in this category. I love originals, but many "restored" Amphicars are not completely correct anyway. Does it matter? No. We are unique in our hobby because we love 'em all!

Akamphi

I been day dreaming about a jet ski conversion for awhile. One on either side of the engine. Could use a modern in line four of some type with a trans axle and do away with the props. I can even see cutting the fenders to use larger diameter tires and giving the car a shallow V hull. A twin stick boat throttle to feather the jets and tie the jet nozzles into the steering wheel. Bet that would be a fun ride!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MAE 8 injured after possible tornado in Celina, Ohio General Amphicar Discussion 0
Cap'n John Possible Swim-In at Grand Lake, Colorado. General Amphicar Discussion 4
M A Possible New Home For Amphicar-Lovers General Amphicar Discussion 6
A Possible Holiday Express room General Amphicar Discussion 0
G Warehouse AMPHICARS possible trade for real estate in MA,ME,NH? General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Possible Swim-in in Georgia General Amphicar Discussion 1
C Possible help for WTC rescue workers General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Engine Draft Tube General Amphicar Discussion 2
SNOWBIRD Engine front plate General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jon March Proper engine break-in General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel 2-ton engine hoist for $143 General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel New Search Engine on Amphicar Forums General Amphicar Discussion 2
Jon March Engine compartment - !@# manual scraping. stripping, degreasing, sanding, priming, painting General Amphicar Discussion 6
okey0 multiple questions about re-assembly of the 1147 engine General Amphicar Discussion 2
P cautionary tale (my engine upgrade experience) General Amphicar Discussion 14
okey0 Engine OUT....how to mount on stand now? General Amphicar Discussion 9
mike_israel No Amphi content. Search engine duckduckgo.com General Amphicar Discussion 0
Jacques B. Triumph Spitfire oil pan on amphicar (Herald) engine ? General Amphicar Discussion 3
Akamphi Engine oil priming tool General Amphicar Discussion 3
Ken Chambers Entertaining engine rebuild General Amphicar Discussion 0
Akamphi Spit 1500 engine break in. General Amphicar Discussion 1
T Removing the engine, were do you split from transmission General Amphicar Discussion 2
kdroy Water in engine General Amphicar Discussion 4
S Pulling an engine General Amphicar Discussion 7
A engine timing and dwell General Amphicar Discussion 3
Midwest Amphicar Engines engines who needs an engine General Amphicar Discussion 4
azpaul50 Engine Cover Luggage rack General Amphicar Discussion 6
Midwest Amphicar Engine cover holes or how I spent today General Amphicar Discussion 1
B Re: Engine cooling fan General Amphicar Discussion 0
B engine cooling fan General Amphicar Discussion 2
amphicarian Engine advice General Amphicar Discussion 19
DavidC Amphicar engine in Alabama General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Best way to install engine/ transmission General Amphicar Discussion 3
A engine milage and mechnical status General Amphicar Discussion 7
K Engine compartment paint. General Amphicar Discussion 2
B SV: Re: engine and transmision - Clutch Chatter Cause?? General Amphicar Discussion 0
W engine and transmision General Amphicar Discussion 4
C engine rebuild General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Body Part (Rear Engine area) replacement General Amphicar Discussion 1
B seatbelts idea; radiator, engine and transmission for sale General Amphicar Discussion 0
D Parts help engine cover needed General Amphicar Discussion 0
C Underside hull paint and engine compartment paint General Amphicar Discussion 6
G bilge pump switch and engine breather line General Amphicar Discussion 0
W engine manifold mystery General Amphicar Discussion 7
B SV: SV: Re: Engine cooling / Fan noise General Amphicar Discussion 0
B SV: Re: Engine cooling / Fan noise General Amphicar Discussion 1
D engine personalities General Amphicar Discussion 1
W Engine cooling / Fan noise General Amphicar Discussion 6
B 1147 cc engine advice needed General Amphicar Discussion 2
D rear engine seal General Amphicar Discussion 3