POR-15 in action

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
I know there are folks here who love POR-15, others who think it is the devil's brew. Here is some real life experience from another forum. Give me epoxy primer any day!
======================================
Hi Folks,

Have posted a few more photos of POR performance.
In some places the POR is still holding on tenaciously, in others its come off
easily.
The rust was hidden under perfect looking POR.

see:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/46885893@N04/?saved=1>

As I move around the car's body I am seeing better POR protection & adhesion on
the upper parts. Its the low down & sand/mud/dirt/water impact & immersion areas
where the bonding has failed

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
I suspect the vast majority of failures are due to inadequate prep. Those pics seem to indicate just that because of the spotty adhesion. I have had POR-15 in my bilge for 12+ years without a problem. Like any type of chemical skin (paint, powder coating etc) the prep is the key to longevity. It takes a lot of work and many people get in a hurry so they cut corners and sooner or later it will come back.

This a debate I suspect will continue for some time like the DOT5 Vs. DOT3 brake fluid debate. Go with what ya like is my best advice.

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
I have a wood work table(old picnic table) in my shop that I paint alot of small parts on, many of which I use Por 15, the next day when i go to lift them off the table, por 15 is so stong it lifts a layer of wood off with it.
i never paint over anything with any speck of rust on it, usually sand blast all small parts . even thou they say it is not nec, I believe it is. and if used properly I think this is a good product.
Gord

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Braking Action General Amphicar Discussion 1